Does thieving happen often in uni halls

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Me and my friend keep getting food stolen out of the fridge even though we put our names on it, does this happen often in halls?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Me and my friend keep getting food stolen out of the fridge even though we put our names on it, does this happen often in halls?
milk = all the time but you prob won't notice
yoghurt = all the time and you will notice
other treats = sometimes
other food = rarely.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I never had my food stolen from the fridge (except milk? hard to tell), but I only kept raw ingredients in there so it wasn't anything people wanted to steal. I sometimes covertly used someone else's milk when I was making tea but never more than that.
Keep snacks and drinks in your room or in your locked cupboard.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes unfortunately you get pricks it is best to get a fridge for your room
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had quite a bit stolen from my cupboards/fridge shelf/freezer drawer when I shared with students I didn't know beforehand. The thing was got stolen most often was butter (probably because no one else ever bothered to buy any). I've also had ice cream, yoghurts, chicken, milk, and rice nicked.
Anonymous #1
my pot noodle got stolen last night
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Petty stuff like this is quite common unfortunately.

Always some selfish prick. Everyone has heard one story of the laxative in the juice.
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep snack type stuff (chocolate, sweets, crisps etc) your room or its fair game
Milk is seen as free for all (its dead annoying tbh although noones nicked it this year so theres a chance the perpretrator didn’t move into my 2nd year accomm haha) = if you don’t want your milk nicked buy UHT milk. Its long life and some people see it as vile (it isn’t) so will avoid it.
Last edited by Chronoscope; 4 weeks ago
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s a way of life, hardly considered theft, what with students being impoverished, feckless and drunken beings
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah anything in a pot (usually yoghurt) is a gonner... tins are usually safe
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah that's the sort of thing I'm talking about that gets stolen. Snacks that are easy to eat quickly and are cheap so that the person stealing doesn't feel too bad about it. Pot noodles don't need refrigeration, keep them in your room and they won't get stolen.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pretty much yeah. Remember this is a the first real time away from home for an awful lot of students, esp the kinda spoiled ones who are used to helping themselves unchallenged at home, or who have only ever been chastised by mild parents as opposed to an outsider who might strike you sharply in the face for stealing anything from them.

(I've had a flatmate once who would creep around in the night and go through wallets and bags, anything found missing would actually be blamed on a ghost, that's about as bad as it gets imo)
Last edited by StriderHort; 4 weeks ago
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Only happened to me once: my expensive cashew milk.

After that I made it a habit of keeping a decoy milk in the fridge, while I just stopped drinking milk altogether and switched to water in my porridge, instead. The decoy milk was infused with a menagerie of things, generally something capsaicin-based such as chilli seeds or otherwise (and their oils, of course.)
Made sure to constantly change brands and switch the milk around so no one knew who owned which bottle.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Aww
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
It's just food get over it
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Sus
Anonymous #1
I don't have much money as it is and people stealing my food does not help, tonight someone stole my juice
15Characters...
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm sorry your stuff keeps getting stolen, people are terrible.

I was relatively lucky, I don't think anyone stole my food (or atleast I didn't notice!). This might be because I was a bit of a hygiene freak and preferred to store as much as possible in my room rather than the dirty kitchen. I did lose a new bottle of liquid laundry detergent though.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't have much money as it is and people stealing my food does not help, tonight someone stole my juice
Call the police then.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
It's not getting armed robbery for 50 bags, it's a bottle of juice and it's in the same household
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads