The Student Room Group

Why don't more girls wear dresses?

I've been wondering more & more about this one recently. Not only are dresses way more feminine than jeans or jean shorts, or cloth leggings surely they are way more convenient. I mean it's an all in one garment, a bit like a onesie but way more classier. A good dress can look wonderful on even a n average girl and make her look great. So it's way quicker and easier to put on than jeans & t-shirt or whatever. So why don't way more girls wear dresses???

As a guy to dress classy apparently tends to be something in the direction of a shirt and smart/smart-casual trousers. Now I think I'm not alone in not many guys wanting to bother with that in their spare time. To look decent most shirts need to be tucked in, now that's a pain, it feels like being a stuffed turkey. It's all shoved down there and feels uncomfortable, not necessarily in a major way but not comfortable in a relaxed way. A dress as far as I can see suffers from no discomfort problem like that, it's just a quick one on and that's it, looks and wears nice and easy I would have thought. Also none of this problem with the shirt pulling out over the course of the day. Sometimes I can't understand why the shirt is bothered with in any quarter at all it's so impractical. Does it really look all that great to women?

Would be interested to hear thoughts of girls & guys on this.

Scroll to see replies

You are asking why women don't wear dresses more often while simultaneously complaining about how impractical a shirt is?

Firstly, you've literally got the answer right in front of you.

Secondly, you need to get some shirts or possibly trousers that actually fit you properly because most men don't have the problems you have.
why not start wearing dresses? be the change you want to see
Reply 3
Original post by !Capercaillie
You are asking why women don't wear dresses more often while simultaneously complaining about how impractical a shirt is?

Firstly, you've literally got the answer right in front of you.

Secondly, you need to get some shirts or possibly trousers that actually fit you properly because most men don't have the problems you have.

I disagree, if you sit down and stand up a shirt will pull at the back and often eventually come out. Even if not there will be a baggy but at the back which will probably look unflattering enough.

I don't see that dresses are at all impractical if that is what you mean by answer. They keep whole in one piece and don't look not so good after sitting down & standing up. Dresses look very practical so far as I can see. So surprises me that not more girls wear them.
Reply 4
Original post by kyungsoo
why not start wearing dresses? be the change you want to see

I'm a guy and they are seen as female clothing and supposedly wouldn't as such enhance my figure like they do a girl. I would look odd and cross gender so as a straight guy it's a no go for me on those grounds.
Not necessarily easier tbh, you need to wear a whole new dress every time whereas with trousers and tops/skirts you can mix and match-more outfit ideas.
Reply 6
Just wear tights, still a pretty easy outfit and in spring/summer just the dress can work fine.
Reply 7
Original post by LeafMeAlonee
Not necessarily easier tbh, you need to wear a whole new dress every time whereas with trousers and tops/skirts you can mix and match-more outfit ideas.

You would need a few dresses as otherwise it could look a bit smelly but on the whole you could get away with 4-5. More obviously would be better but they can be had pretty cheap these days so no big deal. Easier than having to decide what to mix & match, pulling it in and out and putting on at least two separate garments surely.
Reply 8
I'm just trying to understand why more girls don't wear dresses despite the obvious practical advantage. As a guy I don't have that practical choice. I just like seeing a lot of girls in dresses it would be a way better sight to see when out & about I think.
Original post by Gavin2016
You would need a few dresses as otherwise it could look a bit smelly but on the whole you could get away with 4-5. More obviously would be better but they can be had pretty cheap these days so no big deal. Easier than having to decide what to mix & match, pulling it in and out and putting on at least two separate garments surely.

No lol I live that life, I wear dresses and skirts and I can say nah, it's not that simple.
I think that's a bit of a meh excuse lol, if so, guys could just wear onesies too.
Also girls can decide what they want to wear, its not about wearing for practicality all the time, clothing is smth we want to make us feel good and look good.
prsom prsom
Reply 11
Original post by LeafMeAlonee
No lol I live that life, I wear dresses and skirts and I can say nah, it's not that simple.
I think that's a bit of a meh excuse lol, if so, guys could just wear onesies too.
Also girls can decide what they want to wear, its not about wearing for practicality all the time, clothing is smth we want to make us feel good and look good.

Onesies look awful, the worst thing ever! Only stuff that looks good on girls are dresses, skirts, crop tops, tight fitting tops, tights and shiny black leggings. One the right well toned rear tight fitting stretch denim jeans can look ok enough but for most girls the above are way easier wins.
Dresses these days are either too short, too thin, too lowcut or have weird cutouts in them for them to be practical for a lot of circumstances. Also lack of pockets.
Reply 13
You think they are but most guys may think totally different.
Onesies look awful, the worst thing ever! Only stuff that looks good on girls are dresses, skirts, crop tops, tight fitting tops, tights and shiny black leggings. One the right well toned rear tight fitting stretch denim jeans can look ok enough but for most girls the above are way easier wins.

Ayt, i see you are a weirdo
Time for you to shut up now
Reply 15
I'm a guy and they are seen as female clothing and supposedly wouldn't as such enhance my figure like they do a girl. I would look odd and cross gender so as a straight guy it's a no go for me on those grounds.

don't let that stop you, you're clearly into dresses
we know you want to
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Dresses these days are either too short, too thin, too lowcut or have weird cutouts in them for them to be practical for a lot of circumstances. Also lack of pockets.

Some dresses might have discrete pockets, sure an alternative would likely be needed but most girls carry handbags or some other means might be a solution. I'm pretty sure it could be gotten around with a bit of thought.

A light jacket could of course be an answer, just a quick thing to throw on, they pretty much always have pockets.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Some dresses might have discrete pockets, sure an alternative would likely be needed but most girls carry handbags or some other means might be a solution. I'm pretty sure it could be gotten around with a bit of thought.

why do you keep playing this game
according to your posting history you want to be 'a girl with big boobs'
so like, if you want to start presenting as a girl just try it? its pretty acceptable nowadays?
For me, it’s because I find them uncomfortable and have no interest in looking “wonderful” and feminine.

I don't see that dresses are at all impractical

Come back to us once you actually have some experience wearing a dress
Reply 19
Original post by black tea
For me, it’s because I find them uncomfortable and have no interest in looking “wonderful” and feminine.

Come back to us once you actually have some experience wearing a dress

Uncomfortable how?

Latest