cosmicmoonlight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
if i want to apply to medicine, does my 5th option necessarily have to be something directly linked to medicine like biomed? or can it be something like neuroscience, biochemistry, optometry, psychology?
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, it can be anything at all, though it may be worth hearing in mind that they will still receive a Medicine personal statement.

One of my friends applied for Biological Natural Sciences at Cambridge as his fifth option and got in, and he's deciding to do that and then do GEM afterwards, so there are many possibilities.

It is usually recommended to a subject that relates closely enough so that graduate entry medicine remains a viable option, if that's what you're aiming for. However, if you don't wish to go down this route, you could apply for virtually anything
Last edited by melancollege; 4 weeks ago
Hotheaded
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It can be whatever you want you just have to write another personal statement
cosmicmoonlight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hotheaded)
It can be whatever you want you just have to write another personal statement
what do u mean? i can only write 1 PS shouldnt this just be about medicine which is the one im primarily applying for
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cosmicmoonlight)
what do u mean? i can only write 1 PS shouldnt this just be about medicine which is the one im primarily applying for
Whilst you can write and send a second PS directly to a Uni, they are not obliged to consider it although many will. You can ask them beforehand if they will.

Most life science related courses will accept a medicine PS in any case. They make allowances for being the fifth non-med choice for applicants.

To answer your original question, your fifth choice could be anything. But you are more likely to be successful with something more closely aligned, (unless they accept a second PS as above).
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cosmicmoonlight)
if i want to apply to medicine, does my 5th option necessarily have to be something directly linked to medicine like biomed? or can it be something like neuroscience, biochemistry, optometry, psychology?
It can be whatever u want, some unis won't ask for a second ps, they can just give u an offer based on ur med one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.12%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.56%

Watched Threads