161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi for graduate schemes with investment banks or management consulting does it make any difference if you get First or 2:1 to being recruited ?

Do they target specific universities ?
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes
Yes
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 161BMW)
Hi for graduate schemes with investment banks or management consulting does it make any difference if you get First or 2:1 to being recruited ?

Do they target specific universities ?
Getting a first is always preferable but for Ibanking your offer will almost always be a 2:1 (assuming you're an internship convert). BCG have a matrix they use to score applicants and it takes into account the grade you got; effectively a first from Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial was the gold standard and would net the most points in the academic category, a 2:1 from these universities or a first from UCL/Durham/Warwick etc would be in the second best category.

Specific universities are targetted, but varies between industry and even amongst the individual MBB firms a little bit.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by leviticus.)
Getting a first is always preferable but for Ibanking your offer will almost always be a 2:1 (assuming you're an internship convert). BCG have a matrix they use to score applicants and it takes into account the grade you got; effectively a first from Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial was the gold standard and would net the most points in the academic category, a 2:1 from these universities or a first from UCL/Durham/Warwick etc would be in the second best category.

Specific universities are targetted, but varies between industry and even amongst the individual MBB firms a little bit.
Thanks so do they regard a 2:1 from Imperial as “equivelent” to 1st from those other places ?

If you don’t get an internship at investment bank. Is it possibly to get a job offer and if so is it usually 1st or 2:1 ?

Thank you.
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 161BMW)
Thanks so do they regard a 2:1 from Imperial as “equivelent” to 1st from those other places ?

If you don’t get an internship at investment bank. Is it possibly to get a job offer and if so is it usually 1st or 2:1 ?

Thank you.
Grad roles are extremely competitive and without already having an internship it’s going to be nearly impossible to get a spot, bear in mind there will only be a few spaces since majority of the cohort will be coming from summer converts. Usually the go to is to do a masters so you can apply to off cycles/summers again because grad roles are that competitive for IB although for MBB it’s the default route in I believe.

Yeah BCG atleast (historically) viewed a 2:1 from imperial as equal to a first from UCL. Tier 2 schools needed to show evidence of an exceptional first to be viewed as equal to a Tier 1 first or Oxbridge/LSE/ICL 2:1. Bain afaik is still quite Oxbridge centric so idk who they target outside of oxbridge and LSE, and I have *heard* that MCKinsey targets the usual 4 and UCL due to who heads up London recruiting but idk how true this is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.99%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.13%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
10.97%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.36%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.83%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.72%

Watched Threads