The Student Room Group

Being dismissed from a job

Hi!
I've been dismissed from my job and don't really know what to say if a new potential employer asks why I left my previous employment. The reasoning essentially came down to performance and not meeting company expectations, I ended up improving towards the end but it wasn't enough. Not sure how I can say this in a way that makes me look desirable as a future employee. I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Ashley-07
Hi!
I've been dismissed from my job and don't really know what to say if a new potential employer asks why I left my previous employment. The reasoning essentially came down to performance and not meeting company expectations, I ended up improving towards the end but it wasn't enough. Not sure how I can say this in a way that makes me look desirable as a future employee. I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you.

You could say that you were looking to boost your skills by doing a course, or that you fancied a holiday for a month whilst looking for a new career change.

Have you considered doing a course to boost your skills in the areas you under-performed?
Check Coursera or UDemy (free ones too!).

If courses are not for you, then consider returning to some level of education, either through college, uni or a masters.

Good luck in your new searches for employment.
Hi!

Thank you.

How you explain it depends on a number of things. How long were you in the role? How narrowly can you define the issue (and trust the employer will say the same thing)? Have you negotiated your reference, and if not, have you got anyone who can give you a personal reference rather than the company one? Will you be applying for identical roles (not a good idea) or can you apply for something sufficiently different that the skill set changes?
Hi!

Thank you.

U could take it as a learning curve and explain to any future employees what u did to fix those mistakes
Reply 4
Original post by Adz2042
You could say that you were looking to boost your skills by doing a course, or that you fancied a holiday for a month whilst looking for a new career change.

Have you considered doing a course to boost your skills in the areas you under-performed?
Check Coursera or UDemy (free ones too!).

If courses are not for you, then consider returning to some level of education, either through college, uni or a masters.

Good luck in your new searches for employment.

Thank you for the advice! I am currently doing a course but I'm more concerned with how I could word my answer if the question is asked 'why did you leave your last role?'

Original post by threeportdrift
How you explain it depends on a number of things. How long were you in the role? How narrowly can you define the issue (and trust the employer will say the same thing)? Have you negotiated your reference, and if not, have you got anyone who can give you a personal reference rather than the company one? Will you be applying for identical roles (not a good idea) or can you apply for something sufficiently different that the skill set changes?

Thank you for your response!
I was in the role for just under a year. I wasn't aware a reference could be negotiated..how would I go about doing that?
The reasoning wasn't for anything serious like gross misconduct but more that I wasn't reaching their expectations. I had some issues going on in my personal life which unfortunately led me to to perform as well in the beginning. I do think I lacked training in some areas but I'm not sure how I can relay this to future employers.
Reply 5
Original post by spectrum84
U could take it as a learning curve and explain to any future employees what u did to fix those mistakes

That's good advice, thank you, I'll do that :smile:
Thank you for your response!
I was in the role for just under a year. I wasn't aware a reference could be negotiated..how would I go about doing that?
The reasoning wasn't for anything serious like gross misconduct but more that I wasn't reaching their expectations. I had some issues going on in my personal life which unfortunately led me to to perform as well in the beginning. I do think I lacked training in some areas but I'm not sure how I can relay this to future employers.

A reference can't be entirely negotiated, but you can have a conversation which, if you haven't had a complete breakdown in the relationship, can help a lot in your next step.

You need to mage a meeting with your line manager. Ask them what the reference is likely say in terms of your regular work and your reason for leaving (which reminds them there are two aspects to your time there). Then suggest a direction you are going to take eg I realise my strengths aren't really in customer service (or whatever the problem was) so I think I'm going to be looking at roles that focus more on administrative skills (or whatever you think they think you were decent at), that way they might commit to supporting that, and it sounds like you understand your professional skill set. Even if you don't, just suck it up, because you need to get the best reference you can for your next role.

Also, if the company has a hard policy of only giving HR references and not personal references, then try and find a sympathetic colleague in the organisation (someone you can refer to as a 'senior colleague' in a reference details) and ask them if they would be prepared to give you a personal reference. HR references with a dismissal are harder to overcome because there is no context. So try and leave with a referee and their contact details.

Having personal issues isn't a great reason for a future employer, and lack of training is generally even worse because it looks like you are blaming others. You need to work out one particular thing that you found challenging, and it has to be a thing that isn't involved in the future jobs you are applying for. So don't pick customer service if you are applying for retail!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending