My mum is disappointed in my for not going university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
She was kind of pressuring me to apply and I didn't want to. She was always bringing information on different universities back and I didn't want to go so kept saying but she wouldn't listen and I said probably literally hundreds of times altogether that I don't want to go. I didnt want to go to save my life. I would rather do nothing all day than go to university and I said this. I don't want to ruin my future by going. She's just disappointed in me like coming home all the time referring to people who I went to school with and comparing them to me that they are off to uni or already there but I don't care.
SubhanF
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think she is just worried , maybe if you discussed what other plans you have about higher education/working she might feel better about it
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean you say " I would rather do nothing all day than go to university". Are you doing anything? I don't think it's unreasonable to encourage you to do something if you're living with them, even if that's apprenticeship/technical training rather than university.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SubhanF)
I think she is just worried , maybe if you discussed what other plans you have about higher education/working she might feel better about it
Worried about what.I don't want further education

(Original post by _gcx)
I mean you say " I would rather do nothing all day than go to university". Are you doing anything? I don't think it's unreasonable to encourage you to do something if you're living with them, even if that's apprenticeship/technical training rather than university.
I just have a job working for family atm. She was pretty much forcing me though
emily528
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Worried about what.I don't want further education

I just have a job working for family atm. She was pretty much forcing me though
I don’t want to go either. I feel pressured to go and feel like I’ll fail my family if I don’t
Anonymous #1
(Original post by emily528)
I don’t want to go either. I feel pressured to go and feel like I’ll fail my family if I don’t
Don't go, you are going to ruin your future just for your family, it might be a bit easier for you just make it clear you aren't going
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't go, you are going to ruin your future just for your family, it might be a bit easier for you just make it clear you aren't going
How would going to university ruin your future?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you intend to do with your life, not at university...

Do you have a 5 year plan, career ambitions...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
How would going to university ruin your future?
Financially. I know a few people who just have loads of debts when they are older from university. I'm not risking that even though it might not happen to everyone and it also doesn't require a good job. I know people who struggled to get jobs and end up stuck with their parents till they are like 30 then people who kicked out of school who moved out in their teens
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
What do you intend to do with your life, not at university...

Do you have a 5 year plan, career ambitions...
I want to get an apprenticeship, I applied for one
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Everyone's different! I'm currently taking a gap year and my parents think that I'm crazy for wanting to go uni and get debt etc. They think that I should just stay at my job and work my way up.
Anonymous #1
Everyone's different! I'm currently taking a gap year and my parents think that I'm crazy for wanting to go uni and get debt etc. They think that I should just stay at my job and work my way up.
Do what you want
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Financially. I know a few people who just have loads of debts when they are older from university. I'm not risking that even though it might not happen to everyone and it also doesn't require a good job. I know people who struggled to get jobs and end up stuck with their parents till they are like 30 then people who kicked out of school who moved out in their teens
Students debt isn't a real debt especially not with the current repayment scheme. It is basically a tiny tax that you don't even notice coming out of your payslip.

Going to university isn't the reason they can't get a job.
Anonymous #1
Students debt isn't a real debt especially not with the current repayment scheme. It is basically a tiny tax that you don't even notice coming out of your payslip.

Going to university isn't the reason they can't get a job.
Yes I meant is it worth it to go university, all that money and time then you still aren't really garanteed a job
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to get an apprenticeship, I applied for one
Perhaps you should come up with a more thorough & thought out plan and present a viable alternative to your mum
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I meant is it worth it to go university, all that money and time then you still aren't really garanteed a job
Nobody is ever guaranteed a job, that is just life.
Anonymous #1
Nobody is ever guaranteed a job, that is just life.
It's not as bad if you haven't wasted loads of years just for nothing. I just don’t think university is worth it in general
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not as bad if you haven't wasted loads of years just for nothing. I just don’t think university is worth it in general
That isn't entirely true, having a degree gives you more opportunities when applying for work because you can apply for graduate jobs as well as entry level not requiring a degree.
SmorL
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's 100% up to you whether you waste your years at uni. Its not just about your degree, it's about the people you meet, the connections you make and the ideas you develop. It helps you grow academically but also as a person. What actually is your plan going forwards? It's not much use saving 3 years and then doing nothing with them.
Anonymous #1
That isn't entirely true, having a degree gives you more opportunities when applying for work because you can apply for graduate jobs as well as entry level not requiring a degree.
What types of jobs are graduates though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (237)
57.38%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.83%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.72%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.36%

Watched Threads