Are private candidates (A Level) considered full-time students?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I (18M) am planning to move out in the near future. I received CAGs in August, but have decided to reprise my A Level studies (all three subjects) autodidactically and sit examinations next summer, hence I will not be returning to a school environment or enrolling myself in a distance learning programme.

I have seen on a number of occasions that only "full-time students" are entitled to certain benefits provided by government bodies (as exemption from Council Tax, discounted travel etc.) and was wondering if I would still be eligible now that I have left school. The government have failed to provide a rigorous definition of full-time education on their website, completely ignoring private candidates and homeschooled students, and instead stipulating a certain number of hours per week and "course intensity", which is all rather ambiguous. Obviously, I will not be enrolled at a college or other institution, but I will be paying to sit these papers in the coming months.

I could very much do with the CT exemption as the sum is quite hefty and I don't expect to be earning much higher than minimum wage right off the bat when I find a job, given my age and dearth of experience. Can anyone help here?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I (18M) am planning to move out in the near future. I received CAGs in August, but have decided to reprise my A Level studies (all three subjects) autodidactically and sit examinations next summer, hence I will not be returning to a school environment or enrolling myself in a distance learning programme.

I have seen on a number of occasions that only "full-time students" are entitled to certain benefits provided by government bodies (as exemption from Council Tax, discounted travel etc.) and was wondering if I would still be eligible now that I have left school. The government have failed to provide a rigorous definition of full-time education on their website, completely ignoring private candidates and homeschooled students, and instead stipulating a certain number of hours per week and "course intensity", which is all rather ambiguous. Obviously, I will not be enrolled at a college or other institution, but I will be paying to sit these papers in the coming months.

I could very much do with the CT exemption as the sum is quite hefty and I don't expect to be earning much higher than minimum wage right off the bat when I find a job, given my age and dearth of experience. Can anyone help here?
You write beautifully.

You will not be classified as a full-time student for the purposes you have outlined here: you'd need to be enrolled on a course somewhere to qualify. Home/mature learners doing it on their own initiative don't really get anything.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You may also qualify for CT discount by another route. If you're living on your own, then you can apply for a single-person 25% discount. If you're on a low income, then you may be able to apply for some form of council tax support, and these schemes are administered locally on a council by council basis - have a look at your own council's CT webpages to see if you might qualify.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
You write beautifully.
Thanks, I've never heard that before. English isn't my first language, and many times I do get a little anxious, so that's nice to hear!
Anonymous #1
You write beautifully.

You will not be classified as a full-time student for the purposes you have outlined here: you'd need to be enrolled on a course somewhere to qualify. Home/mature learners doing it on their own initiative don't really get anything.
I suspected that would be the case. You seem quite certain of this, so it looks like another blunder by the Tories... although I suppose this is also something of a niche case.
Anonymous #1
You may also qualify for CT discount by another route. If you're living on your own, then you can apply for a single-person 25% discount. If you're on a low income, then you may be able to apply for some form of council tax support, and these schemes are administered locally on a council by council basis - have a look at your own council's CT webpages to see if you might qualify.
I already knew about this (the 25% concession), I was just hoping I would be able to get something more substantial. I didn't know there was support for Council Tax though, so I'll take your advice and do some digging for now. Cheers, and thanks for everything!
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I suspected that would be the case. You seem quite certain of this, so it looks like another blunder by the Tories... although I suppose this is also something of a niche case.
Council tax has been around for 28 years now. For 13 years of that, there was a Labour government...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (233)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.42%

Watched Threads