TerryKid76
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Freshers Week is beginning very soon, but I was wondering if it was optional? I'm probably going to attend it once but I don't want to attend every day it's on..

Is it essential? like do we do any induction activities with our subject lecturers/teachers or is it just the usual party stuff - meeting new people and having fun.

Also I heard we get our timetables on 27th September so does that mean we immediately start going to lectures, tutorials, practicals etc - in the same week?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure.
Hotheaded
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depending on your course/uni. I HAD to be at uni for freshers we had introductory lessons! It’s not just about partying
TerryKid76
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hotheaded)
Depending on your course/uni. I HAD to be at uni for freshers we had introductory lessons! It’s not just about partying
Ohh okay, I've been doing the modules that DMU have provided to new students and it seems like freshers week is all about partying, didn't look essential to actual work or anything... there's nothing mentioned about introductory lessons.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TerryKid76)
Freshers Week is beginning very soon, but I was wondering if it was optional? I'm probably going to attend it once but I don't want to attend every day it's on..

Is it essential? like do we do any induction activities with our subject lecturers/teachers or is it just the usual party stuff - meeting new people and having fun.

Also I heard we get our timetables on 27th September so does that mean we immediately start going to lectures, tutorials, practicals etc - in the same week?

Freshers week has become a catchall term for week 0, or the week before teaching begins.

You'll have the academic induction activities ideally you'll attend, this is to introduce you to the course, familiarise you with facilities, meet your tutor, the key course conveyors, as well as other essentials like IT/library/student services...

Then the student life/SU events which are more about helping you have fun, meet people, get a taste for the social aspects of uni. These are entirely optional but most people like to make use of these. I would recommend at least going and trying a couple things that appeal to you. This stuff includes the clubbing/drinking aspect but their should be some variety.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I can't speak for De Montfort, but in my experience, there are three main activity types during Fresher's Week: administrative, academic, and social.

Admin things: in-person registration, collection of your ID card. This activity may well be thing that results in the university notifying the student loans people that you've arrived, and triggers the payment of your maintenance loan.

Academic: introductory sessions for your course, meet-and-greet with fellow students on your course and relevant academic and admin staff. Might include things like how to submit extension requests and extenuating circumstances applications.

Social: social events organised by accommodation/students union/external events.

The start of teaching is normally the Monday after freshers week.
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I suggest going to the ones where your lecturers tell you some information about the course, that's the only ones I've been attending.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi TerryKid76!

Welcome to DMU! There are various events taking place during Freshers Week. Some are Optional and some are Essential.

Optional: Freshers Fair, Opportunities Fair, Day/Night Events, and De Montfort Student Union (DSU) Talks.

If you love freebies, the Freshers Fair is the perfect place to get hold of them. Thinking about joining a society or sports clubs? The Opportunities Fair is your best bet. Interested in making lifelong friends? The various Day and Night Events dotted around the week offers your just that. Are you keen on getting involved within the Students Union? Head to a DSU Talk and see what they have to offer.

Though these events are optional, I highly recommend getting yourself involved with as much as you can. The friends that I met during my Freshers have become my closest of friends.

Essential: Course Enrolment/ID Collection and Course Induction.

During Freshers, you are notified of a time and place to collect your Student ID. You must collect it during your allocated time. Without your ID, you won’t be able to access buildings or utilise the abundance of resources that DMU has to offer.

Your Course Induction also takes place during the week. This will be your first interaction with your tutors and classmates in person. It gives you a flavour of what your course will feel like.

Timetables: Your timetable is given to you early so you get a grasp of where you need to be and when – making sure you won’t be late to your classes when you start (the week after Freshers).

When I was given my 1st Year timetable, I took the time to familiarise myself with class times and locations. It gave me a rough idea of where I needed to be. Saving me from a huge panic when classes officially started.

Knowing which days, you are free is also a huge benefit for seeing which Societies and Clubs are possible to join.

Personally, I enjoyed Freshers Week a whole bunch. It made readjusting to university life enjoyable; it gave me fun activities to participate in. My favourite activity of it all was the Opportunities Fair. I went around each stall and eventually signed up for Taekwon-do. When I first started I had no prior experience whatsoever. But honestly, it wasn't an issue at all. The club was very welcoming and supportive. It’s crazy to think that I’m part of the Committee now – planning out training sessions, as well as helping out for the upcoming Opportunities Fair.

TLDR: Freshers Week is filled with many activities. However, you don’t need to attend every single event. As for your Timetable – your lectures, tutorials and practicals will start the following week after Freshers.

Hope this helps,

Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (212)
56.68%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.37%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.96%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.82%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.88%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed