When do I email unis to lower my entry requirement grades

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Am I meant to email unis after i submitted my application (personal statement) to lower my entry requirements
Or before the deadline when applications are due ?
Both my parents haven’t been uni + I’ve had personal circumstances that have made it difficult for me
Thanks
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If unis say they'll give lower offers for extenuating circumstances/first gen students, mention these in your application (your reference is the best place to put ECs and UCAS asks about the other). You should then receive lower offers, but if your offer isn't lowered when you receive it, you should email at that point.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you qualify for a Contextual Offer (each Uni will have different criteria for this) then the Uni will automatically flag your application on their data system. You do not need to do anything.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Am I meant to email unis after i submitted my application (personal statement) to lower my entry requirements
Or before the deadline when applications are due ?
Both my parents haven’t been uni + I’ve had personal circumstances that have made it difficult for me
Thanks
Most leading universities do not lower grades because your parents didnt go to university. Contextual conditions vary between universities but are mainly based on post code, being in local authority care or your school being in the bottom 40% of A level results the previous yesr. Somr universities require 1 condition others 2.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to claim Extenuating Circumstances (something major like a close bereavement or serious illness that has had an significant impact on your studies) this will not get you a lower grade offer. This just means that the Uni would give you extra consideration in August if you missed your offer but does not guarantee that you would still be accepted. Btw, just 'covid school disruption' wont be considered as everyone has had this issue.

To start this process, your school needs to send a letter to each Uni's admissions office explaining your circumstances and the impact this has on your studies. They should also mention this in your reference. The Uni may ask you to fill in a separate form or provide extra evidence (doctor's letters etc) but the school letter is the way to start the process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads