Isma_099
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My school offers economics alevel but id didn’t choose it I only recently discovered that i would definitely love to do economics in uni however my sixth form does not allow us to change because we are a month in am i at a disadvantage? My ither alevels are further maths, maths, psychology
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Isma_099)
My school offers economics alevel but id didn’t choose it I only recently discovered that i would definitely love to do economics in uni however my sixth form does not allow us to change because we are a month in am i at a disadvantage? My ither alevels are further maths, maths, psychology
What are the entry requirements at the two universities in question for Economics (or the closest course offered)?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your subjects are fine, A-level Economics is neither required nor preferred for entry to economics at either uni. Note that at Oxford economics is only offered as a joint honours course.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
Isma_099
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
What are the entry requirements at the two universities in question for Economics (or the closest course offered)?
Maths is required, i am just worried the other subject may put me at a disadvantage.
Isma_099
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your subjects are fine, A-level Economics is neither required nor preferred for entry to economics at either uni. Note that at Oxford economics is only offered as a joint honours course.
Ok thankyou, that definitely has eased me a little bit.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lots of TSR info and advice here about Applying for Economics : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maths is required, i am just worried the other subject may put me at a disadvantage.
^ There you go
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If youre applying to cam i think they want 4 a levels for econ https://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-...-prerequisites. Id do maths fm phys history if u cant do econ
Isma_099
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cs115)
If youre applying to cam i think they want 4 a levels for econ https://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-...-prerequisites. Id do maths fm phys history if u cant do econ
My sixth form did not allow me to choose 4.
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you should try convice them if econ at cambridge/ i think LSE is what you want to do
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cs115)
you should try convice them if econ at cambridge/ i think LSE is what you want to do
(Original post by Cs115)
Regarding Cambridge, this isn't quite what it says. It says 'most offer holders are studying at least four'. That doesn't mean the OP can't apply with three, but you're right to point out that four A levels is 'typical'. Below is a snippet of an FOI regarding the average number of A levels each offer holder has at Cambridge for 2018-2020 (Columns left to right). For 2020, you can see that out of 86 offer holders (there are a few more, but these can be disregarded), about half were offering A*A*A*A*. A further quarter were offering A*A*A* - so the OP does have a realistic chance of being offered a place, even with three A levels, so long as he or she gets all A*s.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.14.25.png
Views: 14
Size:  58.3 KB

See above - three A levels, in the subjects you are doing, are fine for Cambridge. You need to concentrate on getting A*A*A* now.
Isma_099
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Regarding Cambridge, this isn't quite what it says. It says 'most offer holders are studying at least four'. That doesn't mean the OP can't apply with three, but you're right to point out that four A levels is 'typical'. Below is a snippet of an FOI regarding the average number of A levels each offer holder has at Cambridge for 2018-2020 (Columns left to right). For 2020, you can see that out of 86 offer holders (there are a few more, but these can be disregarded), about half were offering A*A*A*A*. A further quarter were offering A*A*A* - so the OP does have a realistic chance of being offered a place, even with three A levels, so long as he or she gets all A*s.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.14.25.png
Views: 14
Size:  58.3 KB

See above - three A levels, in the subjects you are doing, are fine for Cambridge. You need to concentrate on getting A*A*A* now.
Ok thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (176)
55.7%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
13.92%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
10.76%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (30)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.43%

Watched Threads