The Student Room Group

What happens at an occupational health appointment?

i’ve heard that you have to have a blood test? is this true?

It is for my adult nursing course so i can start placement for reference
Original post by takemystress
i’ve heard that you have to have a blood test? is this true?

It is for my adult nursing course so i can start placement for reference

They will ask you about any medical history you may have.
Discuss what you may have to do
Depends on what they decide whether or not you need to have blood tests ok.

Can Occupational Health do blood tests.......
You need to attend occupational health to find out whether you have immunity to certain infectious diseases that you may encounter in the hospital environment and also to determine whether you have an infection that could be transmitted to patients and others. Some blood tests are compulsory and some are advisory.

I didn't do any bloods for when I did my midwifing degree ( I'm now a registered midwife ), but every university/hospital trusts work different from one another.
If you nothing to hide then you'll have no problems in providing a blood tests if asked ok.
Reply 2
they may test to see if your hep b has worked. they will test for tb but thats a skin reaction. cant think what else they would need blood for
Reply 3
I recently got a job with the NHS and they said they deal with our uni students as well so just assumed it would be the same process. Not heard back from my uni occupational health form buy for my job, I had to send a copy of my vaccination history from my GP.

I also had to speak to a nurse about some meds I am on and she cleared me. After this I got an appointment to go in and have any missing vaccinations (2nd MMR in my case) and start a course of Hep B injections. Due to have my 3rd one then need a blood test to see if I will need any more after that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending