How can I stop paying for the NHS?

Watch
benj99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm looking at getting private medical insurance but no longer wish to contribute towards other peoples' healthcare. Is there a way I can reduce my tax burden so that the NHS lot can just pay for each other and I pay for my own?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Emigrate to a tax haven that does not have a universal free healthcare at point of use system.
Good luck!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You dont its part of your taxes. Not to mention most private healthcare is done in public hospitals and it certainly wont be a 'private' ambulance and medical team that com to your aid if you have a stroke or get hit by a car.
2PllsIPp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by benj99)
Is there a way I can reduce my tax burden so that the NHS lot can just pay for each other and I pay for my own?
Taking a pay cut will get you some of the way there
Chadmiral Nelson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by benj99)
I'm looking at getting private medical insurance but no longer wish to contribute towards other peoples' healthcare. Is there a way I can reduce my tax burden so that the NHS lot can just pay for each other and I pay for my own?
You do understand how insurance works, don't you? Your payments aren't just locked away for your exclusive use one day, it's put into the provider's central pool which will then be used to give healthcare to (shock horror) other people. The simple fact is, no man is an island, and no one man is capable of entirely funding his own healthcare. Other people have to rely on your small contribution, and you will have to rely on the contributions of others. Unless you think you can actually afford to drop a few hundred grand for a few of cycles of chemo and radiotherapy should you (God forbid) ever get cancer.
username4910484
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tax avoidance or emigration. R
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sadly not, notwithstanding ceasing to have an income altogether.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
Sadly not, notwithstanding ceasing to have an income altogether.
Unless it's untaxed income.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
You dont its part of your taxes you selfish git. Not to mention most private healthcare is done in public hospitals and it certainly wont be a 'private' ambulance and medical team that com to your aid if you have a stroke or get hit by a car.
There are plenty of useless or overpaid positions in the medical system sucking up taxpayers money. I think that's more selfish.Some are even dangerous and harmful.

We are also deprived of being able to educate and treat ourselves so are forced to use the system by law.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go on the dole. It’s what everyone else does.
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
You dont its part of your taxes you selfish git. Not to mention most private healthcare is done in public hospitals and it certainly wont be a 'private' ambulance and medical team that com to your aid if you have a stroke or get hit by a car.
Good point. Private hospitals also don't do very much of the "hard stuff" either, so if you get diabetes, asthma or other ongoing chronic condition, the private sector doesn't want to know because your are too complicated and too expensive. e.g. there is no profit in you.
username4910484
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hotpud)
Good point. Private hospitals also don't do very much of the "hard stuff" either, so if you get diabetes, asthma or other ongoing chronic condition, the private sector doesn't want to know because your are too complicated and too expensive. e.g. there is no profit in you.
How do you know that?
From my understanding there certainly is profit to be made out of patients with chronic/ long term conditions.

It’s emergency care that private hospitals don’t really do in the UK.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
There are plenty of useless or overpaid positions in the medical system sucking up taxpayers money. I think that's more selfish.Some are even dangerous and harmful.

We are also deprived of being able to educate and treat ourselves so are forced to use the system by law.
Quite probably, whats that got to do with what i said though ? Nor how having a bloated bureaucracy, however wasteful, can be described as 'dangerous'
No you arent. You are more than welcome to educate and try and treat yourself at home, it certainly isnt illegal. I'm not sure who told you such tosh but there is nothing stopping you reading a book. If, however, youre talking about self medicating with dangerous drugs/medications then can you take a guess as to why that is legally banned by 'the system'? I didnt take you for the sort advocating people be allowed to pop down the chemist to buy a bottle of phenobarbital or morphine to treat them selves - or someone else, more to the point. You're banned from medicating/operating on yourself for a good reason.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)
How do you know that?
From my understanding there certainly is profit to be made out of patients with chronic/ long term conditions.

It’s emergency care that private hospitals don’t really do in the UK.
Yes and no, depends on the condition. Ones that recquire lots of drugs and scanning etc. can be a nice drip feed of cash for the hospital, not so much for the insurer, a fair whack of these conditions though can be considered too niche to be able to raise money from .. hence the issue of 'orphan drugs' and whatnot. Never mind conditions caused by living in 3rd world areas where there certainly is no money in bothering to look into treatments.
Djtoodles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Haha, if there was a way to pay less tax I would be doing it as I also use private healthcare for everything. It isn’t really what you imagine it to be though, it almost always uses NHS infrastructure and you’re almost just paying a premium to be at the front of the rather long ques. The private doctors are really good though and i have a checkup each year as part of it.

Thankfully I’ve never needed them for anything more serious than an appointment for a cough but a friend of mine spent two years trying to get a problem sorted via the NHS. The NHS doctors first told him the pain was caused by anxiety and stress. Then eventually gave him painkillers. Then started giving him medication for all the things they suspected it was without ever referring him for the tests because they told him the wait is around 8 months. I convinced him to spend the money on private, within a few days he met a new doctor, within a week he had the tests which found the exact problem and just over a month later he had a small op to fix the problem and hes been fine since. Hilariously the tests and op were at the same hospital he would have been referred to by the NHS doctor.

His experience alone would be enough to convince me to go private if I wasn’t already. The NHS should be great but its fumbled by idiots and it’s the patients who suffer for it.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Djtoodles)
Haha, if there was a way to pay less tax I would be doing it as I also use private healthcare for everything. It isn’t really what you imagine it to be though, it almost always uses NHS infrastructure and you’re almost just paying a premium to be at the front of the rather long ques. The private doctors are really good though and i have a checkup each year as part of it.
True. With that said, it's not really had the opportunity to develop as it has like in some countries across Europe or indeed, Singapore. Here it's as you say, more of a premium addon to the NHS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
13.04%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (88)
27.33%
I'm a bit unsure (57)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (110)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
7.76%

Watched Threads