Parents don't believe in OCD

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This is going to be a bit of a rant because I can't take this anymore and I don't know what to do.

I have a really poor relationship with my dad. I was under CAHMS and they wanted to do a family session, but the things he said were so horrendous and spiteful that the lady apologized to me afterwards, said she'd never seen that happen before and promised never to make me do another one. I was 15 at the time and have accepted I'll never have a good relationship with him, I'm only at home because I need the financial support and he knows that (I'm 18, going to uni next week).

However the problem at the moment lies with my mum. She does not believe in the existence anxiety or OCD, which makes our relationship very complicated. My OCD symptoms are so bad that my university has not only awarded me an en suite (excluding me from the ballot system) but they are even paying the difference between a normal and en suite room, and they're also paying for me to have a mental health mentor. My mother however does not believe in OCD, and is now saying that I'm using diagnosis as a weapon against my siblings. Due to my fear of germs, I can not touch remotes or door handles in my own home but she is convinced that I'm just doing it to bully my siblings, and claims that as a mother she needs to protect my younger brother over me. She is absolutely convinced that I'm just doing it to be spiteful and it's really ruining our relationship at the moment, this is the second night in a row we've had a screaming match and I've spent the rest of the night crying in my room.

It doesn't bother me that I will never have a good relationship with my dad or brother, but I love my mum and this is killing me. I don't know what to do.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you ever considered your parents might be right?
Did you consider that that might be one of the worst things you could have replied with?
username5672094
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you ever considered your parents might be right?
Right about what? Are you seriously suggesting that OCD doesn’t exist or that people don’t suffer from anxiety? Given that the University are helping the OP with financial and practical assistance I’m assuming they have some sort of diagnosis from a doctor. Universities don’t give out that sort of help on a whim. Your Attitude is part of the problem.

username5672094
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is going to be a bit of a rant because I can't take this anymore and I don't know what to do.

I have a really poor relationship with my dad. I was under CAHMS and they wanted to do a family session, but the things he said were so horrendous and spiteful that the lady apologized to me afterwards, said she'd never seen that happen before and promised never to make me do another one. I was 15 at the time and have accepted I'll never have a good relationship with him, I'm only at home because I need the financial support and he knows that (I'm 18, going to uni next week).

However the problem at the moment lies with my mum. She does not believe in the existence anxiety or OCD, which makes our relationship very complicated. My OCD symptoms are so bad that my university has not only awarded me an en suite (excluding me from the ballot system) but they are even paying the difference between a normal and en suite room, and they're also paying for me to have a mental health mentor. My mother however does not believe in OCD, and is now saying that I'm using diagnosis as a weapon against my siblings. Due to my fear of germs, I can not touch remotes or door handles in my own home but she is convinced that I'm just doing it to bully my siblings, and claims that as a mother she needs to protect my younger brother over me. She is absolutely convinced that I'm just doing it to be spiteful and it's really ruining our relationship at the moment, this is the second night in a row we've had a screaming match and I've spent the rest of the night crying in my room.

It doesn't bother me that I will never have a good relationship with my dad or brother, but I love my mum and this is killing me. I don't know what to do.
This is a very difficult situation for you and I appreciate how hard it must be. It is particularly difficult when you already have a bad relationship with your dad that your mother is not supporting you.
Fortunately your university appear to be being really helpful, maybe what you need to do is get some time and space and hopefully educate your mother into understanding your condition. Would it be possible for her to talk to your doctor who could explain your condition properly?

Once you’re not living under the same roof as your family it might make life a little easier and you might be able to show them that this is about you and not your family.

There may well be lots of advice and help at your new university so do make the most of the services they provide. .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (178)
55.97%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
10.69%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (30)
9.43%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.4%

Watched Threads