Uni accom turned out to be hotel

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I was unaware that this accomodation company teamed up with a hotel to rent out some rooms to students but I feel really alone here since it’s a hotel. I realised too late and before I could cancel I was bound to this contract. The place is convenient and okay but I feel extremely uncomfortable here. Please can you guys give me your opinions on this if you were in my situation. It’s making me feel quite anxious tbh and I just want to know if people think it’s weird or not. It’s a studio accomodation but to be honest I feel a bit ripped off and sad about it since I paid a lot for it myself.. I have a bit of social anxiety and I just have a fear that people would judge me for this. Has anyone stayed in a hotel at uni.
BrainDrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, I was unaware that this accomodation company teamed up with a hotel to rent out some rooms to students but I feel really alone here since it’s a hotel. I realised too late and before I could cancel I was bound to this contract. The place is convenient and okay but I feel extremely uncomfortable here. Please can you guys give me your opinions on this if you were in my situation. It’s making me feel quite anxious tbh and I just want to know if people think it’s weird or not. It’s a studio accomodation but to be honest I feel a bit ripped off and sad about it since I paid a lot for it myself.. I have a bit of social anxiety and I just have a fear that people would judge me for this. Has anyone stayed in a hotel at uni.
You could maybe look to exchange your accommodation with another student, lots of universities have links to students wanting to swap with some offering cash incentives exchange.
It's not a situation I have come across before and agree you are probably not going to get the experience you expected from sharing and making friends with fellow students, and definitely something you should warn others about.
Also consider taking it up with your student union, if they aren't aware of this going on they need to be, and look at the terms of your contract to see when you could look for something more suitable, there are lots of private houses split into several rooms for students that might be more what you are looking for.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't go to it then
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They might have done this as a temporary solution until the inevitable drop outs happen and space becomes available in normal uni accommodation. Contact them and ask.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Defiantly talk to the SU there should be some rooms in halls due to the early drop outs failing that there may be some places in university owned houses or some students in the private sector might be looking for a house mate or someone to take over their room in a house share. Also it could be a lot worse

Portsmouth had some new halls built once but they hadn't finished by the move in weekend so they were put in the army barracks until the paint dried (for the entirety of freshers.). So they had some really harsh conditions:
Get up at 6 everyday.
You must take a run in the early morning (I can't remember how far.).
You must be in the Mess hall by 8am for breakfast no exceptions.
Curfew on base by 9:30pm.
No fraternisation with the opposite sex on base.
A bed time of like 10pm or something.
and weirdly no hats.
I just wanted to let you no it's not too bad but yeah I see why your not happy.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Defiantly talk to the SU there should be some rooms in halls due to the early drop outs failing that there may be some places in university owned houses or some students in the private sector might be looking for a house mate or someone to take over their room in a house share. Also it could be a lot worse

Portsmouth had some new halls built once but they hadn't finished by the move in weekend so they were put in the army barracks until the paint dried (for the entirety of freshers.). So they had some really harsh conditions:
Get up at 6 everyday.
You must take a run in the early morning (I can't remember how far.).
You must be in the Mess hall by 8am for breakfast no exceptions.
Curfew on base by 9:30pm.
No fraternisation with the opposite sex on base.
A bed time of like 10pm or something.
and weirdly no hats.
I just wanted to let you no it's not too bad but yeah I see why your not happy.
Hi!

There was a private halls of residence (not affiliated with the university) that weren’t ready in time. So the university stepped in to help house them, this included some students been put up in local hotels (no army barracks or harsh conditions).

This is why we recommend students look at halls in partnership with the university first, as we can support them and help them through the application process.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

There was a private halls of residence (not affiliated with the university) that weren’t ready in time. So the university stepped in to help house them, this included some students been put up in local hotels (no army barracks or harsh conditions).

This is why we recommend students look at halls in partnership with the university first, as we can support them and help them through the application process.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
TBF it was a looooooong time ago. I herd the story on a tour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (267)
57.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (63)
13.58%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.34%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.31%

Watched Threads