tecna
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
can u work for the nhs
does ur degree have to be accredited....
is it better to get an accredited degree or a degree from a russel group uni
i wanna go manchester uni but their degree isnt accredited
dandoe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tecna)
can u work for the nhs
Accreditation is just a set of standards for universities related to the content of their course; . It is considered irrelevant to employers. With a degree at any Russel group, your sorted for jobs
Googley_eyes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tecna)
can u work for the nhs
If you want to work for the NHS as a biomedical scientist then you need an accredited degree. You can do an unaccredited degree but have to pay a lot of money to make a portfolio and do extra training to become qualified. Most RG unis seem to be dropping accreditation (QMUL being the most recent as far as I’m aware as they haven’t actually been dropped from them list yet but aren’t accredited anymore). They do this to be able to teach modules that aren’t needed for biomedical science, such as anatomy, to please the medicine students. Biomed is the main choice for med school rejects so many RG and non RG unis offer top Biomed and UCAT students an interview for a med school place, and they teach these non Biomed modules to make the transition easier and please the med rejects who also don’t get a transition place. Basically if you want to do Biomed and don’t want to study medicine, do an accredited course because if say a year or two in you choose you do want to be an NHS biomedical scientist, you can, and you won’t have to study useless modules for your degree.

(Original post by dandoe)
Accreditation is just a set of standards for universities related to the content of their course; . It is considered irrelevant to employers. With a degree at any Russel group, your sorted for jobs
This isn’t true for Biomed. For other courses yes, but for sciences generally accreditation is very important if not even a must for some careers after graduation.
Last edited by Googley_eyes; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads