Any success stories after retaking twice ( 2 years behind in med school)

Watch
Adorable98
Badges: 15
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm a 4th year student, I retook 3rd year (1st repeat) and this year my grandma passed away due to covid and that affected me tremendously and I'm currently sitting my resit exams this week but I'm pretty sure I didn't pass and I'll be required to repeat 4th year. ( 2nd repeat)

I'm studying abroad and in our university we're allowed to retake the year 3 times max ( 3 repeats before you get expelled)

I'll be 2 years behind and was wondering if I'll be allowed to register with GMC in the UK if I passed plab 1 & 2/ UKMLA?
Spencer Wells
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adorable98)
I'm a 4th year student, I retook 3rd year (1st repeat) and this year my grandma passed away due to covid and that affected me tremendously and I'm currently sitting my resit exams this week but I'm pretty sure I didn't pass and I'll be required to repeat 4th year. ( 2nd repeat)

I'm studying abroad and in our university we're allowed to retake the year 3 times max ( 3 repeats before you get expelled)

I'll be 2 years behind and was wondering if I'll be allowed to register with GMC in the UK if I passed plab 1 & 2/ UKMLA?
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get through medical school. If you [eventually] finish and pass the required exams you will be eligible to register with the GMC.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Hey OP, sorry to hear you've had a tough time. I repeated two years as well, but lo and behold I have made it to fy1 - currently in my first job. Doesn't matter how many years its taken you to get there, we all end up in the same job regardless!
There is light at the end of the tunnel.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Which country are you studying in? The rules for repeating years will be different in other countries outside the UK.

I only ask because of stories I've heard from friends studying abroad. In one country, if you fail a year, you get a chance to "interrupt" your studies which means you take a year out to sit only the exam(s) you failed, then join the year below once you have passed. You're only allowed to interrupt once, so you can only fail a year once. In another country, you get no opportunity to repeat anything after the academic year has ended: if you fail, you have to leave. Interrupting is unheard of in the UK where you have to repeat a whole year including everything you have already passed. Also, modular exams are used a lot outside the UK which helps you break up your work into smaller more manageable chunks. In contrast to the UK where a lot of institutions do "summative" exams that can throw 12 specialties at you in one day.

Having said that, I met a friend of a friend who studied Medicine in the UK, repeated both Year 1 and Year 4 (so it took him 7 years to finish his degree) and is now a GP trainee. It is indeed possible to repeat years multiple times and still come out successful on the other side. But that will depend on your institution and how receptive they are to helping you. Some are absolute nightmares whereas others will provide you a lot of support. You still have plenty of leeway: you can pass your 2nd repeat, then get through 5th and 6th year (depending on where you study) without any problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (106)
86.89%
No (16)
13.11%

Watched Threads