laura111118
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is it possible to complete 3 year bioveterinary degree and once graduated go straight into vet med - 4 year graduate accelerated course? Is there a way to receive funding for the second degree also?
Effyd123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
SFE will only fund the first degree.
And graduate entry is generally MUCH more competitive than undergrad so you might anyway have to apply for the 5 year course.
And grad entry will take much longer.
And you arent guaranteed a space so you might anyway have to take a gap year.

Basically, if vet is your aim, try as hard as you can to get into regular undergrad. If you cant get in, take a gap year, use it to boost your application (work experience / voluntary work / resitting A levels etc), and then try again...

Best of luck!
laura111118
Rep:
?
(Original post by Effyd123)
SFE will only fund the first degree.
And graduate entry is generally MUCH more competitive than undergrad so you might anyway have to apply for the 5 year course.
And grad entry will take much longer.
And you arent guaranteed a space so you might anyway have to take a gap year.

Basically, if vet is your aim, try as hard as you can to get into regular undergrad. If you cant get in, take a gap year, use it to boost your application (work experience / voluntary work / resitting A levels etc), and then try again...

Best of luck!
I have completed my A levels with A* in psychology, A in biology and B in sociology. The only thing I don’t have is a level chemistry. No colleges would allow me to take just 1 a level - I’d have to go back and take 3. I don’t know if I like the idea of teaching myself the course/online course. I am currently in a gap year due to uncertainty of Covid as I want the full normal university experience! Can’t get work experience anywhere due to Covid also!!
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you looked into other options?
Like Notthingham vet with preliminary year? You only need 1 science for that.
I had an offer for a graduate course which I had to turn down due to costs. I ended up studying abroad but it's not an option for everyone.
Effyd123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by laura111118)
I have completed my A levels with A* in psychology, A in biology and B in sociology. The only thing I don’t have is a level chemistry. No colleges would allow me to take just 1 a level - I’d have to go back and take 3. I don’t know if I like the idea of teaching myself the course/online course. I am currently in a gap year due to uncertainty of Covid as I want the full normal university experience! Can’t get work experience anywhere due to Covid also!!
your options are:

Either getting into a course with a foundation year AKA "wrong a levels" course.

or...

doing an access to HE course

or...

doing another A level. You can do online A levels courses if you can't find a college, just be prepared to shell out 1k+ for the practical elements of the A level

in your situation, it doesn't make sense to try and do a degree first, as it costs more and takes longer.
laura111118
Rep:
?
your options are:

Either getting into a course with a foundation year AKA "wrong a levels" course.

or...

doing an access to HE course

or...

doing another A level. You can do online A levels courses if you can't find a college, just be prepared to shell out 1k+ for the practical elements of the A level

in your situation, it doesn't make sense to try and do a degree first, as it costs more and takes longer.
What access to higher education would be best? I’m looking at Bristol uni and it states this:

Access to HE Diploma in Science, Biomedical/ Medical/ Health Science or Psychology (or similar titles). The 45 graded Level 3 credits must include:
at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit or above; and
at least 15 credits from Chemistry units, at least 12 of which must be at Distinction; and
at least 15 credits from one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics, at least 12 of which must be at Distinction

Don’t want to choose a wrong course and waste my time!
Effyd123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What access to higher education would be best? I’m looking at Bristol uni and it states this:

Access to HE Diploma in Science, Biomedical/ Medical/ Health Science or Psychology (or similar titles). The 45 graded Level 3 credits must include:
at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at Merit or above; and
at least 15 credits from Chemistry units, at least 12 of which must be at Distinction; and
at least 15 credits from one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics, at least 12 of which must be at Distinction

Don’t want to choose a wrong course and waste my time!
don't know where in the country you are based, but if you are near Manchester or brighton do the Manchester college or Brighton college access courses which are universally recognised. otherwise any online one would do the trick but confirm with the college and uni first
laura111118
Rep:
?
don't know where in the country you are based, but if you are near Manchester or brighton do the Manchester college or Brighton college access courses which are universally recognised. otherwise any online one would do the trick but confirm with the college and uni first
I’m from Leicestershire. I’ll have a look - thank you
Student_222
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is it possible to complete 3 year bioveterinary degree and once graduated go straight into vet med - 4 year graduate accelerated course? Is there a way to receive funding for the second degree also?
It is possible but you would have to reapply so its not guaranteed you get in. Graduate entry isnt actually more competitive than undergrad, statistics are 1 in 7 are accepted in RVC and 1 in 6 for edinburgh not sure about bristol. These statistics are high but is about the same for undergrad.

Im not sure where you are but in scotland you do still get maintenance loan, i have heard it is the same in england but best to check with SFE, however you dont get tuition loan which ranges from £9k-32k per year. If i were you id personally resit with the right a levels and reapply as this is the longer and more expensive route, but definitely doable if you do decide to go this way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads