I’m in a bad place right now and I’m struggling

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I feel like such a failure in life , the people around me have all graduated and because I have adhd I struggle extremely when it comes to focusing and getting work done and now I’m 22 turning 23 with no degree and I feel like I’ve wasted my life and wasted time . I’m still in final year of university and It’s really starting to depress me and I feel terrible .I don’t know what to do it’s eating me up inside . I don’t have anyone to speak to and I am starting to feel like my life is just pointless
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Just because you are struggling through uni due to your ADHD that doesn't mean your life is pointless. Lots of people struggle through university that are just like you and they end up with very happy and successful lives even if they don't graduate. If you think university is not for you then maybe you could try looking into other alternatives such as apprenticeships as they can lead you to a career whilst giving you work experience at the same time. With this said, I understand uni may be opening the door to the job you would like to have but you might eventually find something that you enjoy just as much, possibly being similar. Some people end up being in a profession that is completely different to what they first thought they would be in but still enjoy it. I speak to a therapist once a week over the phone and it helps me get by with my life, maybe you should give it a try too as there is no shame in talking about these things with a professional.
studygirl388
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You may feel like a failure, but you aren't. Comparison is one of the worst things we can do at any age. Everyone has different circumstances in life, different experiences, different health conditions etc. It would be ridiculous to expect everyone to have accomplished certain things at certain ages. It's just not possible. We all progress at different rates. But the point is, progress is still progress, and you are just as worthy of the same credit as someone who earned their degree within, say, 3 years.

You may struggle to concentrate, but it has already been identified that this is through no fault of your own. It's just a condition. A circumstance. And that's okay. Fighting it and feeling ashamed is going to cause you more problems. So you need to remind yourself of the above.

Whether you have graduated yet or not, you are still progressing. Still learning. Still doing your best. You even said yourself that you are in your final year. You should give yourself some credit for getting so far, especially whilst struggling with ADHD.

I'm wondering if there is anyone at university who can offer you some support, maybe a counsellor or a member of a student welfare team? If this is something that is seriously getting you down and interfering with your life, you could even discuss it with your GP.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just because you are struggling through uni due to your ADHD that doesn't mean your life is pointless. Lots of people struggle through university that are just like you and they end up with very happy and successful lives even if they don't graduate. If you think university is not for you then maybe you could try looking into other alternatives such as apprenticeships as they can lead you to a career whilst giving you work experience at the same time. With this said, I understand uni may be opening the door to the job you would like to have but you might eventually find something that you enjoy just as much, possibly being similar. Some people end up being in a profession that is completely different to what they first thought they would be in but still enjoy it. I speak to a therapist once a week over the phone and it helps me get by with my life, maybe you should give it a try too as there is no shame in talking about these things with a professional.
(Original post by studygirl388)
You may feel like a failure, but you aren't. Comparison is one of the worst things we can do at any age. Everyone has different circumstances in life, different experiences, different health conditions etc. It would be ridiculous to expect everyone to have accomplished certain things at certain ages. It's just not possible. We all progress at different rates. But the point is, progress is still progress, and you are just as worthy of the same credit as someone who earned their degree within, say, 3 years.

You may struggle to concentrate, but it has already been identified that this is through no fault of your own. It's just a condition. A circumstance. And that's okay. Fighting it and feeling ashamed is going to cause you more problems. So you need to remind yourself of the above.

Whether you have graduated yet or not, you are still progressing. Still learning. Still doing your best. You even said yourself that you are in your final year. You should give yourself some credit for getting so far, especially whilst struggling with ADHD.

I'm wondering if there is anyone at university who can offer you some support, maybe a counsellor or a member of a student welfare team? If this is something that is seriously getting you down and interfering with your life, you could even discuss it with your GP.
Op is a egular troll. Don't bother
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads