GCSE English Language Paper 1 - Q4 Mark my work (AQA)

Watch
AKA NO LIMITS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Would this be a grade 9 response? If you could check then that’ll be very helpful.

Here’s the paper
Here’s the insert
Here’s the mark scheme

Overall, while it is true that Rosabel has the right to be angry, we can also deduce the fact that her anger is not completely right. I will show how, while taking a holistic consideration, we can say Rosabel has the right to despise the red-haired girl for her actions but also why she is being rather inconsiderate.

The passage here begins with us being introduced with this girl being angelic. Her appearance was ‘beautiful’ which therefore demonstrates that she was a girl who had dedicated some value into how she presents herself. This is coupled with her husband being ‘so well dressed’ with a ‘carriage’ and we get a sense of them being polished so much that it was noticeable to Rosabel who maybe was contrasted to this fashionable nature. The fact that she had just been to ‘Paris last week’ can perhaps suggest that she also travelled frequently because of her income, which seems inarguably true that everything is positive in her life which contrasts Rosabel life who is trapped in her hat shop. However, we could appreciate that it was expected that those of upper-class inherited income from their families, and actually her privilege is one of sheer probability. It may be that the girls life is positive that she had ‘gold’ and her travelling but, due to the fact that she was in Rosabels shop, we could also deduce that she might just be trying to help those who were poor in society by purchasing their products.

The focus shifts to the red-haired girl seeming to order Rosabel. We might argue that Rosabel does in fact have the right to be angry as the girl asked her about the hat ‘laughingly’ when her husband ‘demanded’ a specific, and rather rare hat. Which could also imply that she was also laughing at Rosabel and the fact that she was privileged in having succeeded in life so much that she could utilise her power impolitely. However, when the girl does give Rosabel the hat to try, her reaction was priceless when she says it was ‘adorable’, which is implying that she does actually appreciate Rosabel’s effort. We could therefore conclude that maybe she did actually appreciate her possessions and power in life, and while it may be true that she does come across as impolite, we cannot ignore that she’s appreciative.

Finally, at the end, we can see that the girl actually has dismissed Rosabel entirely. The red-haired girl had ‘swept out’ to her ‘carriage’ and had talked about ‘lunch’ she had with her ‘young and well dressed husband’ in front of Rosabel without even thanking Rosabel for the hat. It is true that this can be seen as undermining Rosabel’s value. The red-haired girl seems lackadaisical, she doesn’t acknowledge Rosabel’s help, she also leaves her husband to pick the hat, which therefore proves that Rosabel has every right to be angry. While that is true, we could argue that there is no necessary obligation for the girl to thank Rosabel rather she should pay her for the services that she provides. We know that money may have been helpful to a ‘brown haired’ Rosabel who might not have been so fortunate to eat; she could instead maybe use the money to pay for her own food. So Rosabel isn’t completely right to be angry and it would be helpful had she been more considerate instead of wanting to ‘throw’ the hat into the girls face. It does seem like Rosabel is jealous of her because of this.
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 4 weeks ago
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
bump
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
—-
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads