chemistry a level question about ionisation energies

Watch
Mcressman12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My textbook says there are three factors that affect ionisation energy: atomic radius, nuclear charge and electron shielding. Surely, atomic radius is a product of the factors nuclear charge and electron shielding, not a factor in itself? i am just getting confused as to how to awnser the exam questions and weather or not i need to mention it.
fridacatlo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes you do need to mention it. Atomic radius is essentially the distance between the outer electron and the nucleus, so is different to nuclear charge (the number of protons in the nucleus) and electron shielding (the effect of the inner electrons). When going down a group, eg group 7, the increase in nuclear charge is cancelled out by the increased number of inner electrons, so the outer electron of each group 7 element feels a net attraction of 7+. The ionisation energy decreases down the group though, so this can only be down to increased atomic radius. For questions like that, you would need to include it, as it's the defining factor
Hope that helps
Mcressman12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fridacatlo)
Yes you do need to mention it. Atomic radius is essentially the distance between the outer electron and the nucleus, so is different to nuclear charge (the number of protons in the nucleus) and electron shielding (the effect of the inner electrons). When going down a group, eg group 7, the increase in nuclear charge is cancelled out by the increased number of inner electrons, so the outer electron of each group 7 element feels a net attraction of 7+. The ionisation energy decreases down the group though, so this can only be down to increased atomic radius. For questions like that, you would need to include it, as it's the defining factor
Hope that helps
So just to summarise for my sake: electron shielding refers to the blocking of valence shell electron attraction by the nucleus due to the presence of inner-shell electrons. So this means that going down the group the net nuclear charge relative to the valance electrons is the same, e.g. 7+ for group 7 elements. Thus the decreased nuclear attraction to valance electrons down the group must be caused by the increase in atomic radius which is due to the valance electrons being on a new shell further away from the nucleus. So saying that Xe has more shells than Ne is like saying that Xe has a larger atomic radius than Ne. That makes sense now as to why atomic radius should be a factor, thank you. But now I have another question, we are old we can say that shielding "outweighs" increased nuclear charge down the group, wouldn't it be better to say shielding "balances" the increased nuclear charge down the group?
Last edited by Mcressman12; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.95%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads