Lotasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to study environmental science / climate change and do a related jobs where I write things like reports on the subjects, but I'm not sure what kind of jobs they are. Please share your advice!!
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lotasaurus)
I want to study environmental science / climate change and do a related jobs where I write things like reports on the subjects, but I'm not sure what kind of jobs they are. Please share your advice!!
That's a pretty broad area. Some ideas:

- job as a scientist/advisor with one of the statutory environment agencies (Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, Scottish Natural Heritage)
- advisory or technical/policy officer with an NGO like the RSPB, World Wildlife Fund or Friends of the Earth
- freelance ecologist doing surveys prior to road or housing developments

For the most part, these kinds of jobs will need at least a first degree, but that could be in almost any related field. The biggest help if you want to land a job of this sort will be if you can gain experience in the practical application of the subject. Most jobs are about how policy affects real life , so if you go to uni, you should make sure you go beyond the taught course and speak to postgrads who are doing practical work, and network with field workers.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ideas
Scientist and advisor
Policy advisor
Ecologist
Lotasaurus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
That's a pretty broad area. Some ideas:

- job as a scientist/advisor with one of the statutory environment agencies (Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, Scottish Natural Heritage)
- advisory or technical/policy officer with an NGO like the RSPB, World Wildlife Fund or Friends of the Earth
- freelance ecologist doing surveys prior to road or housing developments

For the most part, these kinds of jobs will need at least a first degree, but that could be in almost any related field. The biggest help if you want to land a job of this sort will be if you can gain experience in the practical application of the subject. Most jobs are about how policy affects real life , so if you go to uni, you should make sure you go beyond the taught course and speak to postgrads who are doing practical work, and network with field workers.
Thank you I will definitely take those into consideration!
Lotasaurus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Ideas
Scientist and advisor
Policy advisor
Ecologist
Thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads