AJMuzz23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m at the stage where I’m choosing unis to apply for.
I think I’ve narrowed it down to 4.
UWE, Aston, Staffordshire (they offer a placement year which I’d really like to do) and Chichester (no placement year but I like the uni.
Can anyone recommend these unis (or others) and give me some more info please? Are they well known for their psychology departments? Which unis are?

Thank you
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AJMuzz23)
UWE, Aston, Staffordshire (they offer a placement year which I’d really like to do) and Chichester (no placement year but I like the uni.
Can anyone recommend these unis (or others) and give me some more info please? Are they well known for their psychology departments? Which unis are?

Thank you
Hi AJMuzz23

It’s great to hear you’re considering Staffs.

There are a few things to consider when choosing a psychology degree/university:

- Are the courses accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS)? If not, you may struggle to progress onto a Masters/further study
- Does the university offer a placement year? If so, do they offer you help finding a placement?
- What are the facilities like - and will you actually receive training on them and get to use them in your research projects?

Please give us a shout if you have any specific Qs about Staffs

Thanks

Amy
University of Chichester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thank you
Hey AJMuzz23,

Glad to hear you're considering us

Our Psychology department are very well known, we've actually just been ranked 12th out of 115 higher education institutions for Psychology by the Guardian League Tables 2022. The Complete University Guide League Tables 2021 also ranked us 1st for research intensity out of 101 UK Psychology departments.

Studying at Chichester, you will learn in a supportive learning environment and you will be taught by a dedicated team of active researchers. Our Psychology degrees are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) which means it's professionally recognised giving you a head start in your career after university.

If you wanted to find out more about the University and our Psychology department, we have some Autumn Open Days coming up. These provide you with a great opportunity to chat to staff and students and have a tour of our campus too. You can book here - chi.ac.uk/opendays.

We do also have some psychology students and lecturers available online and ready to chat via Unibuddy. Rylee is a second year student and they would be more than happy to chat to your and answer any questions.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you would like to be put in contact with any lecturers, we can certainly do this for you. Good luck in choosing

Thanks, Sian
Last edited by University of Chichester; 4 weeks ago
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thank you
Hi there,

Those are all great options, I'm glad you're considering Aston in the mix.
The Psychology BSc degree at Aston is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and confers eligibility for the Graduate Membership (CPsychol) of the BPS, which is vital for students who wish to ultimately train as a professional psychologist (clinical, educational, forensic, occupational, etc). It is also the first step towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist.

You will have the opportunity to take a psychology or a related professional placement year in the UK or overseas. Taking a placement year gives you valuable life experience in the context of working alongside professionals in a working environment, helps you to develop new skills and abilities, and gives you a competitive edge in the job market.

During the course of the degree, you will be taught using a combination of informative large-scale interactive lectures, tutorials, and lab sessions, where you will learn key practical skills for psychological research; plus there will be opportunities to work with expert staff on a one-to-one basis. In addition to subject-specific knowledge and skills, The psychology course at Aston actively embeds employability into every aspect of your study, so that you are job-ready upon graduation.

Hope this has helped.

*Ethel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (302)
57.52%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.24%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.38%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed