Please help me - NOT ENJOYING A LEVEL SUBJEC TS

Watch
depressedhuman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I have until tomorrow to finalise my a level options (my sixth form started over 2 weeks ago) and I just have no clue what I want to do. All the way through my life, I have had a broad range of interests. With most subjects, I have had periods of intense interest in certain topics, followed by just as sudden disinterest. I've read into engineering, arduino programming, all these different engineering projects and scholarships. I was even halfway through a CREST Silver award but ditched it.

I enjoy political philosophy, have a passion for sustainability, and quite like geography, but at the same time, I really love History, all kinds of history from tutankhamun to thatcher and everything in between, it really helps me understand why things are the way there are now, but we're learning stuarts and french rev - only one is quite interesting and i don't know if i would want to study it in that much detail but it's really nice at the same time I guess? Especially since we have great teachers that I’ve already been taught by.

I also love Biology, especially since a lot of the content is useful for human/social sciences and I would need at least 2 sciences to do a science-related degree but I only want to do medicine and i don't stand a real chance with just Bio and Physics (school won't let me do chem even though i got a 7) (I know there are 10 med schools that will consider me though) .

I've loved reading books about psychology, and I've made notes on them even back in year 8 (as well as a host of other subjects) . For the past 3 years, I have also developed a passion for linguistics, and I self-studied Russian to GCSE level, as well as learning bits of other languages.

Something I look into quite a lot is PPE, but the subject combo of bio, phys, econ and english lit just doesn't seem strong enough. Econ is dull, yet it does sometimes have a strong hook. RS would help me with philosophy. If I did bio, phys, french and english that would make an ok llaw with french law application.

Do I even want to do Econ? Bio, phys, history and english mightg be better but god that workload and i might not even like them at all. Oh, what about Drama? Should I just drop Bio and do more humanities? There are people doing much easier a levels than me, why am I choosing such hard ones? What is my passion?

History, or English lit A level?

I wish I had a set path, but I don't and it's making me feel so annoyedl. I don't even think I can do a year. I have no passion rn for any of my subjects and then I do. I'm just doing them, I don't have any motivation and no direction in my life. What a mess this is but i am exhausted. I have so much more to say, like how i have been endlessly doing careers research, seeing what unis want and still being confused. What do you reckon i should change/ keep it as? In the name of keeping my options open. I can do:

phys history drama/eco/french/geography eng

bio phys drama/eco/french/geog eng

bio geog econ english

psych geog english drama

Rn I'm doing bio, phys, econ and eng lit'

Physics was my fave subject but im really struggling rn. just not enjoying anything tbf.
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i struggled with my a level choices too, because i also wanted to keep my options open for any degrees/careers, so i chose mainly stem subjects which i thought would open more doors for me than just doing humanities.

there will always be parts of the courses that you dislike - it's important to keep sight of the ones that you actually like if you really want to pursue a subject. i would recommend looking over the specifications for each and finding parts that you like & comparing them for each subject.

as for degrees/careers, if you want to go into medicine without a chemistry a level i think biology would be a useful subject to do, especially if you don't have chemistry. in order to keep your options open i would probably recommend doing 2 sciences. if you really want to keep your options open, i think i would recommend not doing psychology (unless you really like it) because, since many schools don't offer psychology so it's rarely required for a degree.

honestly it's so hard to know what you're passionate about, but you have plenty of time before you have to choose a career path
Dominininc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If youre stuggling now in physics you are in for a shock my friend. The majority of physics students also take maths, it is essentially practical maths and therefore some of the maths involved in physics overlaps with the maths course, making the subject easy for those who do maths. Therefore if youre not doing maths and dont intend to, drop physics now, it will get worse, not better.

Now ask yourself if you are stem or humanities person?

if the answer is stem, you wanting to be doing science subjects that involve maths and stuff like chemistry and maths.
if the answer is humanities, do subjects like economics and history.
if the answer is 'i dont even know' then take subjects you find easy.

Essentially do subjects that are your strengths and you are sure you will be able to get a good grade in as that is what matters at the end of the day.
Pheebz0711
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Trust me do what you love! Sounds cliche ik.
But seriously I did math physics and psychology because I thought it would be great for uni applications/ job etc. In reality because I didn't love the subjects it left me miserable. I love history and wish I'd done it. Cut to end of y13 grades are bad and I have the option to do a history foundation course which I took. Am now in my 3rd year of uni doing a history degree and I couldn't be happier.
Moral of the story: DO WHAT YOU LOVE... not what looks good. Everything else will work out I promise x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (241)
57.66%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.68%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.61%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed