Jude 04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there, I’m about to turn 17 and I am looking for some advice I’m in the fortunate position to have around £10,000 to spend on a car but I currently earn £230 a week working as an apprentice I’ve found a low mileage 1 bmw 1 series 116d for around £8,000 leaving me with 2k for car insurance. So long story short will £230 a week be enough to afford the upkeep on the car
Last edited by Jude 04; 3 weeks ago
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don’t spend that much money on your first car! Christ - you could get a brand new Dacia Sandero for that.

I’d aim to spend £3k-£6k on the car - no more. Spending £8k on your first car when you’re earning less than £1k/month is absolute madness. You’d have to work for 35 weeks to earn that amount.

Edit - to answer your question - maybe. Maybe not. Depending on the age of the car and if it’s previous owner looked after it or not (and just pure luck) you could end up having to shell out thousands in repairs within a few days, or you might get away with doing nothing except services and MOTs for years. Cars are tricky.
Last edited by HorribleHatty; 3 weeks ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jude 04)
Hi there, I’m about to turn 17 and I am looking for some advice I’m in the fortunate position to have around £10,000 to spend on a car but I currently earn £230 a week working as an apprentice I’ve found a low mileage 1 bmw 1 series 116d for around £8,000 leaving me with 2k for car insurance. So long story short will £230 a week be enough to afford the upkeep on the car
Do you *need* a car? If not, save your money. Do you ever want to rent, or buy a house? You will need a deposit either way. Will you go to University? You will almost certainly want extra money then. You need an emergency fund too.

Insurance will be very expensive. You need to get quotes for any car before even considering it - rates will vary massively between models. If you are going to university, a car will be a liability.

In summary, wait for as long as you possibly can before buying a car. They are money pits. I have four, including two supercars ..
(Original post by HorribleHatty)
Don’t spend that much money on your first car! Christ - you could get a brand new Dacia Sandero for that.
This. The UK has plenty of cheap and reliable second hand cars, but always have a professional inspection, and don't accept a "warranty" as a substitute. If, and only if, you really need a car, buy one of those.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 weeks ago
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't spend so much on your first car. Look at something cheaper, not so cheap that it's run into the ground, but not so expensive that, if you throw it into a ditch or run into someone/something, that you're suddenly struggling to afford a replacement.

Also, 2K probably isn't going to cover your insurance as a new, young driver unless you get a black box policy.

As for £230 being enough? It depends. I've had my car 6 years. For about 5 of those it has had nothing but MOT and services. In the last year the handbrake cable has snapped, a spring has snapped, a brake line has bust and, more recently, a brake line is on the way out, some bushes could do with being replaced and there's a possible fault relating to the glow plugs. Cars are funny beasts like that. It could do you perfectly fine one year and completely throw you the next. I suspect this is only exaggerated on typically German cars which are known to be unnecessarily overbuilt, driving up labour costs or outright being so much of a pain that local garages won't touch them at all.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really recommended as it is a bad idea really. First the question of which car to get, my advice is to go to a car dealership and try to find out about the range of cars on sale. Make notes too. Read beyond the lines of what is being discussed. This is a list of things to consider when buying a first car-
Age of the vehicle
Quality of the car
Reviews
Safety
Experience level
Type of car in question
Insurance policy
Carbon footprint
Observations and feelings about the car being considered
Car history
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aim to spend less than £1k on your first car. Or, at a pinch £2000 at most.
Watch the Car Throttle youtube channel for inspiration. They've bought some great cars for peanuts. Plus the odd basket case. But if you buy a basket case for under £200, it doesn't matter.

Investing your money - eg in improving yourself or bricks and mortar is far better than spending it on an something that will depreciate a lot.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jude 04)
I'd be spending less than that on your first car if I were you. And not a BMW either.
With your first car, you are bound to have the odd little bumps/scrapes and you would be gutted if you had something expensive and trashed it.
Also, you may need a bit more than £2000 for your first years insurance. We don't know exactly how much it will be- you would have to get your own quotes for that. But your first year is never cheap.
user432
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,

I've just turned 18 recently, and I plan on buying a car at the end of January 2022.

I have about 2k to buy the car upfront. (exc insurance etc)

I need a reliable car to not break down on the motorway as I'm going to be driving around 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home, 5 day a week. (Around 100 miles a week)

I've been looking at the Peugeot 207 and the Hyundai i10 and i20. I have heard that the 207 isn't very reliable, so was just looking for recommendations.

I have also been looking at the Suzuki Alto, Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1. The Suzuki and Toyota have been the most appealing but I am still unsure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (63)
56.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
10.71%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.29%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.25%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
6.25%

Watched Threads