The Student Room Group

SQE1 exams Nov 2021

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who’s on the focus group calls, please can you let us know how it goes :smile:

Also I personally found the exam really difficult, Unusually the first half for flk1 and flk2 not too bad but then the second half of each a disaster, not sure if it’s cause I was getting pretty tired!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Negan1
I’ve heard so many students who sat the SQE1 saying the same thing! But from what I’m hearing from the Kaplan/SRA contact it’s in our imagination and that the exam questions are reflective of the sample questions but those who sat the exam know it’s not the case. There is definitely a gulf between the sample and real questions - I was in two minds about sitting the exam in November but after completing the sample questions (and scoring quite high considering I hadn’t finished my revision properly at that stage) I enrolled for the exam but got a real shock on the day when the exam questions were so different to the exam questions.
It’s not fair on current and future students because we are wasting our efforts and it costs a lot of money to sit (and then have to re-sit!) the exams.

Are you serious? The sample questions were different from the exam questions. The exam questions were so much harder and confusing. We should all complain on the focus group calls.
Original post by giggy12s
Are you serious? The sample questions were different from the exam questions. The exam questions were so much harder and confusing. We should all complain on the focus group calls.

Any updated regarding focus group call? what was that about?
I had my focus group call with SRA/Kaplan on Monday. I don't think a single person said anything positive! They basically said thanks for your feedback and we will take it all into account going forward. I think we should have all done the July 2022 SQE1 exam as we wouldn't have been the first test takers. I think SQE1 and SQE2 in October 2022 will be easier.

I also got an email from Kaplan saying that April 2022 SQE2 oral assessments might be postponed due to high COVID-19 cases. I have a disability and when I applied for reasonable adjustments, they said I will get it but just so I am aware, there is a possibility that the April SQE2 is moved for all test takers due to recent COVID cases. This will cause more stress so I might just postpone my BPP course to do the SQE2 in October.
Original post by Negan1
I think the SQE1 exam does put students through the wringer, it’s expensive, no chance of student funding, no precedence so students have no idea what is expected, discrepancy between sample and real questions and then the very tight timeframes (if I’ve done my calculations correctly there’s only about 12 weeks to study for the SQE2 once learning if you’ve passed SQE1).
Kaplan/SRA word their emails in a certain way but they have told students that there isn’t any difference between the sample questions and the real questions, that the sample questions were randomly pulled from the bank of questions that they have on file but I honestly believe there was a difference, they’ve also said that students should expect exams to be difficult but students haven’t been arguing that the exams are difficult they have been complaining about the discrepancies.

There was a definite difference in challenge between the sample questions and those on the SQE1. 4 days to go now, feels like it has been an eternity. SQE2 is a competely different kettle of fish - I'm thinking of taking time to defer (which Barbri let you do) and taking the second cohort of tasks. I'm not sure you can revise for the SQE2, because there are basically an infinite number of scenarios across the whole of law, which considering most people focus in one or a few areas, is not necessarily representative of real life.

Good luck for Thursday.
It would be interesting to compared SQE2 with the LPC in terms of subjects covered (which is fairly wide such as civil litigation, criminal litigation, business law including company law, partnership law, tax etc, solicitors' accounts, professional conduct, advocacy, interviewing, property/real estate law, wills and trusts,legal writing, drafting (those last two are separate), interviewing and then the last term of your chosen three electives eg employment law, IP/commercial law and private acquisitions so exams in about 14 subjects on the LPC. Anyway good luck to anyone doing SQE2.
Reply 46
Original post by Alenamai
There was a definite difference in challenge between the sample questions and those on the SQE1. 4 days to go now, feels like it has been an eternity. SQE2 is a competely different kettle of fish - I'm thinking of taking time to defer (which Barbri let you do) and taking the second cohort of tasks. I'm not sure you can revise for the SQE2, because there are basically an infinite number of scenarios across the whole of law, which considering most people focus in one or a few areas, is not necessarily representative of real life.

Good luck for Thursday.

Good luck too Alenamai.
Even if I pass I am not going to sit the SQE2 in April - I’ve had my fingers burnt already taking the SQE1 in the first cohort of students and I am happy to let somebody else be the guinea pig. I do feel very disheartened at the way that students have been treated - obviously I have mentioned on here a few times that the discrepancy between the sample and real questions made a big difference on the day but even down to having to wait the full 10 weeks before we get our results back so impacting our timeframe to pay for and start learning the SQE2 materials is unhelpful (at the time we were told results would be between 6-10 weeks and of course it’s 10 weeks to the day before we get our results). Not many students, without funding, can afford to pay for SQE2 (in the hope of making a head start on studying) to then find out they’ve failed the SQE1 and pay £1500 for the resit. And to think the SRA argued, when implementing the SQE exams, that the new exams would be affordable and become more accessible to students. The SRA must know they’ve screwed up but they are closing ranks and not admitting it.
I just want Thursday over and done with now so I know what path to choose next.
Reply 47
I had my focus group call with SRA/Kaplan on Monday. I don't think a single person said anything positive! They basically said thanks for your feedback and we will take it all into account going forward. I think we should have all done the July 2022 SQE1 exam as we wouldn't have been the first test takers. I think SQE1 and SQE2 in October 2022 will be easier.

I also got an email from Kaplan saying that April 2022 SQE2 oral assessments might be postponed due to high COVID-19 cases. I have a disability and when I applied for reasonable adjustments, they said I will get it but just so I am aware, there is a possibility that the April SQE2 is moved for all test takers due to recent COVID cases. This will cause more stress so I might just postpone my BPP course to do the SQE2 in October.

I didn’t get an email it would be postponed the April 2022 when was this now I am worried about my results 😭
Reply 48
Original post by C12345
I didn’t get an email it would be postponed the April 2022 when was this now I am worried about my results 😭

Is this because you applied for reasonable adjustments?
Original post by Negan1
Good luck too Alenamai.
Even if I pass I am not going to sit the SQE2 in April - I’ve had my fingers burnt already taking the SQE1 in the first cohort of students and I am happy to let somebody else be the guinea pig. I do feel very disheartened at the way that students have been treated - obviously I have mentioned on here a few times that the discrepancy between the sample and real questions made a big difference on the day but even down to having to wait the full 10 weeks before we get our results back so impacting our timeframe to pay for and start learning the SQE2 materials is unhelpful (at the time we were told results would be between 6-10 weeks and of course it’s 10 weeks to the day before we get our results). Not many students, without funding, can afford to pay for SQE2 (in the hope of making a head start on studying) to then find out they’ve failed the SQE1 and pay £1500 for the resit. And to think the SRA argued, when implementing the SQE exams, that the new exams would be affordable and become more accessible to students. The SRA must know they’ve screwed up but they are closing ranks and not admitting it.

Definitely do not do the SQE2 in April. We have been let down by being the first cohort in SQE1 and the SRA will do the same thing to us. I am going to do my SQE2 in October. Also, there isn't enough time to revise between now and April - the SQE2 is more difficult than SQE1, so many different questions and legal scenarios.
Original post by Negan1
Good luck too Alenamai.

I personally think the SQE2 is not possible to prep for in 12 weeks as the scope and field is so wide and the number of possible scenarios potentially huge. Two days to go!
Original post by C12345

I also did not get an email and have not heard anything from Barbri regarding this yet either.
Original post by 17Student17
It would be interesting to compared SQE2 with the LPC in terms of subjects covered (which is fairly wide such as civil litigation, criminal litigation, business law including company law, partnership law, tax etc, solicitors' accounts, professional conduct, advocacy, interviewing, property/real estate law, wills and trusts,legal writing, drafting (those last two are separate), interviewing and then the last term of your chosen three electives eg employment law, IP/commercial law and private acquisitions so exams in about 14 subjects on the LPC. Anyway good luck to anyone doing SQE2.

The SQE1 covers The Legal System of England and Wales, Constitutional Law, Ethics and Professional Conduct, Legal services (including money laundering regulations and financial services advice), Contract, Tort, Dispute Resolution, Business Law, Land Law, Property, Wills and the Administration of Estates, Trust Law, Solicitor Accounts, Tax Law, Criminal Practice and Criminal Litigation.

The SQE2 consists of 16 tasks (4 of them oral/advocacy/interview tasks) Then 12 other tasks that focus on Property, Probate, Business, Criminal Litigation and Dispute Resolution and any of the other SQE1 FLK subjects can be tested as part of the SQE2 tasks.
(edited 2 years ago)
I will not be surprised if they miss the deadline... I've submitted mitigation circumstances form and before the results are issued, they suppose to issue the outcome for my mitigation circumstances request.. Still nothing.

Also, it's very tough decision to sit an exam in April after the mess they created in November whether they admit it or not, the questions were harder and longer than sample questions.
Having started the SQE2 course, I can honestly say that 12 weeks will not be enough time for me. The prep course I am doing is good but I will need time to embed the skills and develop answers to the scenarios. I am wondering what time tomorrow the results will be released?
Reply 55
Having started the SQE2 course, I can honestly say that 12 weeks will not be enough time for me. The prep course I am doing is good but I will need time to embed the skills and develop answers to the scenarios. I am wondering what time tomorrow the results will be released?

In the email it’s says by 3pm we will get an email before apparently- probably will be at 3pm I am getting nervous now- can’t sleep ☹️
Original post by C12345
In the email it’s says by 3pm we will get an email before apparently- probably will be at 3pm I am getting nervous now- can’t sleep ☹️

I have not had an email that says by 3pm. I am stupidly thinking of setting my alarm for midnight just to see if they are released at one minute past midnight - I have literally been unable to sleep for the last 3 nights - this is torture!
Reply 57
I have not had an email that says by 3pm. I am stupidly thinking of setting my alarm for midnight just to see if they are released at one minute past midnight - I have literally been unable to sleep for the last 3 nights - this is torture!

Same I cannot sleep! Good luck tomorrow, it’s from when they said they were going to release the results the date they sent was 20.12.21- we get an email before 😊
Anyone received the email?
Reply 59
Anyone received the email?

No you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending