The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Where did I ever say he was going to reachedule? I’m simply seeking advice from other people on what they would do with this time or any recommendations in general about what to do.
As I have said already, I can’t go home because it’s 1.5 hour journey

Well you could go home and get back in 3 hours if it’s a 1.5 hour trip each way :/
I had 4 hours

I picked a free writing course to kill 2 hours
I went to weatherspoons for other 2, lunch free wifi and unlimited coffee
I did look to see if the local cinema had stuff on, that was one option.

(On other days I had large gaps but they were lectures, not tutorials so I just skipped attending in person and watched at home later, that was perfectly acceptable)
You are seeing something that isn’t even there but nice of you to check out my profile. And no, you haven’t provided any help.

You're oblivious to the fact that most people agree with me regarding your attitude.

How can I check your profile when you are hiding behind the screen of anonymity? I was referring to your other posts on this thread.

I told you not to think that the world revolves around you. That is solid advice. The fact that you don't recognise it as such is telling.
(edited 2 years ago)
When you pay £9,500 a year for a course I think you are entitled to not wait around for 3 hours. I spoke with the module leader who created the timetable and when I asked him about he himself seemed embarrassed by it, so don’t come to me saying I’m entitled.

You are acting entitled though. Again, you chose to commute. Did you consider this issue when making that decision?

Otherwise, find something to do in the gap. There have been many good suggestions.
Where did I ever say he was going to reachedule? I’m simply seeking advice from other people on what they would do with this time or any recommendations in general about what to do.
As I have said already, I can’t go home because it’s 1.5 hour journey

People gave you advice.
If you get 'bored' being in a library for 3 hours you might need to rethink why you are doing a degree.
To be fair I found it hard to study in the library, as I wouldn’t have all my notes /textbooks etc unless I really planned in advance. And it was all very heavy t as I was printing things out and law books are very heavy. So not ideal unless I knew book was in the short term library section/printed out the journal articles already.
Original post by Catherine1973
To be fair I found it hard to study in the library

Then get organised and get used to it.
If doing a University degree was 'easy' there wouldn't be any point in doing one.
Original post by Catherine1973
To be fair I found it hard to study in the library, as I wouldn’t have all my notes /textbooks etc unless I really planned in advance. And it was all very heavy t as I was printing things out and law books are very heavy. So not ideal unless I knew book was in the short term library section/printed out the journal articles already.

And I found watching lectures in my room hard, but I found a way to stop me from getting distracted. You have to learn to adapt at university, including becoming better at planning.

(I connected my laptop to my TV and watched and wrote notes from my bed. My laptop was therefore out of reach so I couldn't stop the lecture to look at any other sites and I also put my phone on the top of a shelf at the other side of my room).
How are your certain this is bad planning? It could be to accommodate other modules lectures. Your lecture halls are used by different lecturers/modules and year groups.
I had a 3 hour gap between lectures in the past, there are lectures going on during my gap for other modules. It just so happened that I didn’t choose those other modules, if I did I would’ve had a packed day.
Last year I found that watching the lecture live, with camera on, was the best way to stay focused.

Even when I did my first degree, and professional qualifications , I found study easiest with all notes/books etc spread out on my bed.
I’m starting year 2 of my university marketing degree soon. I have seen the timetable, and there is one lecture from 9-12 pm and then a 3 HOUR waiting period until the following lecture. As someone with severe social anxiety, I don’t want to wait for 3 hours, and I don’t study well with people around me, and I would be so bored sitting in a library. It seems like terrible timetable planning. Do you have any recommendations about what I can do about this or..?

Develop strategies by trying different things to do in that time, one week you should try going back to your flat, the next try finding a quiet corner in a library or study area, the following week if there's a quiet pub nearby, head to that! There may be a café nearby where you can get away with paying for a cup and staying at a table for a couple of hours, or go for a walk and explore the area around campus if you feel that it is safe to do so by yourself (taking into consideration time of day etc) Don't set expectations for how you expect these things to go (go easy on yourself as well) - just try them. I am currently one week in to studying a second degree in physics, I first went to university in 2005 to study biology - back then there was nothing mentioned about mental health, now it is everywhere - there are so many support groups, phone numbers you can call and departmental members who you can get in touch with if your social anxiety is something you wish to manage and get a hold of (I'm not suggesting that you don't already). I too have social anxiety, it can be a real pain sometimes, especially when meeting so many new people and generally just being in novel environments full of unfamiliar individuals.
I’m starting year 2 of my university marketing degree soon. I have seen the timetable, and there is one lecture from 9-12 pm and then a 3 HOUR waiting period until the following lecture. As someone with severe social anxiety, I don’t want to wait for 3 hours, and I don’t study well with people around me, and I would be so bored sitting in a library. It seems like terrible timetable planning. Do you have any recommendations about what I can do about this or..?

That’s nothing. Half of the days every week I have a lecture from 7-8 pm, and I live 10 mins off campus privately. The other days I generally have gaps longer than 3 hours, or even multiple times I have 3 lectures back to back, no break, each in different buildings. You can’t really complain.
Original post by Googley_eyes
You can’t really complain.

I disagree - they seem quite good at it ..
Original post by RogerOxon
I disagree - they seem quite good at it ..

XD
I can sympathise with your situation as someone who suffers with anxiety, but as noted there really is no way around this and it is totally normal at uni to have such large gaps between lectures. Your commute definitely will make things harder as well since as you stated you can't just go home in the gap (which is what I usually used to do :frown: ).

I would recommend looking for a quiet space in the library (i.e. away from other people, not one of the busy study spaces that others also use) or some other suitable space on campus (or offcampus in town somwhere if you are at a city based uni) and bring your phone and charger and/or any personal computing device(s) you own (e.g. tablet/laptop/etc) and do what you can to pass the time. It is a good opportunity to get a headstart on any coursework or studying - even if you find it hard to do substantive work while on campus (e.g. writing an essay) you could see if you can do the more "admin" aspects of that (e.g. collating your sources, writing an essay plan, making to do lists of what you're going to do and in what order when you get home and making sure you'll have all the resources you need for that).

No matter what, the uni isn't likely to change the timetable, even if you do have a documented diagnosis and are in receipt of DSA for example - the Equality Act only requires the uni make "reasonable" adjustments, and they will make the easy case that changing the timetable for all students for you as an individual is not "reasonable" in legal terms (and also it may affect reasonable adjustments they put in place for other students with disabilities).

They may however be able to make arrangements to support you with recordings for one or both lectures for example, or to have a designated space you can use individually during that time (e.g. a long term booked individual study room/space), but that would be down to the outcome of your needs assessment after you apply for DSA and are assessed by the uni's accessibility team. Otherwise it's just a case of making the most of a bad situation - and as you can see from the response on here, you probably aren't going to get a huge amount of sympathy otherwise complaining about it, for better or worse.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I can sympathise with your situation as someone who suffers with anxiety, but as noted there really is no way around this and it is totally normal at uni to have such large gaps between lectures. Your commute definitely will make things harder as well since as you stated you can't just go home in the gap (which is what I usually used to do :frown: ).

I would recommend looking for a quiet space in the library (i.e. away from other people, not one of the busy study spaces that others also use) or some other suitable space on campus (or offcampus in town somwhere if you are at a city based uni) and bring your phone and charger and/or any personal computing device(s) you own (e.g. tablet/laptop/etc) and do what you can to pass the time. It is a good opportunity to get a headstart on any coursework or studying - even if you find it hard to do substantive work while on campus (e.g. writing an essay) you could see if you can do the more "admin" aspects of that (e.g. collating your sources, writing an essay plan, making to do lists of what you're going to do and in what order when you get home and making sure you'll have all the resources you need for that).

No matter what, the uni isn't likely to change the timetable, even if you do have a documented diagnosis and are in receipt of DSA for example - the Equality Act only requires the uni make "reasonable" adjustments, and they will make the easy case that changing the timetable for all students for you as an individual is not "reasonable" in legal terms (and also it may affect reasonable adjustments they put in place for other students with disabilities).

They may however be able to make arrangements to support you with recordings for one or both lectures for example, or to have a designated space you can use individually during that time (e.g. a long term booked individual study room/space), but that would be down to the outcome of your needs assessment after you apply for DSA and are assessed by the uni's accessibility team. Otherwise it's just a case of making the most of a bad situation - and as you can see from the response on here, you probably aren't going to get a huge amount of sympathy otherwise complaining about it, for better or worse.

I’m not sure if they will do any of that. 3 hour waits are normal, students are expected to study somewhere. It’s like at sixth form, you can have first and fifth periods and nothing in the middle, but they expect you to study in a study room. It’s no different, OP just seems to be making a fuss over nothing. And before OP says something, I have bad social anxiety so I understand, but you can’t use it as an excuse to complain.
When you pay £9,500 a year for a course I think you are entitled to not wait around for 3 hours. I spoke with the module leader who created the timetable and when I asked him about he himself seemed embarrassed by it, so don’t come to me saying I’m entitled.

It's worth noting that you don't know how much you're paying yet.* Heck, you might even be able to choose how much you pay, dependent on your income.

I'm already £90,000 in debt for my Undergrad/MPhys, but I don't plan on paying back more than the bare minimum, which will likely be no more than £21,000 at best. The interest far outstrips my income. (I'm including my maintenance loan, which is also £9,000. 5 years, £9,000 + £9,500, basically £90k). (I'm counting 30 years, since after 30 years my "loan"** is gone.)

If you end up homeless and destitute, or earn less than the minimum amount per year (~£27,000 I think), you likely won't pay back a penny. In any case, yeah.

Sorry, at this point it's just a bit annoying to see people going on about how they're paying £9,500 a year for a course, when in reality most cases they likely aren't.***

*Note that this primarily applies to domestic students. Idk about Int'l students, they might be forced to pay back the entire loan, etc etc.
**Mmm... it's a generous one to be sure.
***If you're planning on being rich and paying your loan off, are an Int'l student and will end up paying it all off by force, or are going to pay it off despite not being rich, then ignore this rant.

On another note, a 3-hour wait is normal. Different schedules, etc. In 1st year I had a 7 hour gap. 2nd? the same. 3rd and 4th I had 3-5 hour gaps as standard most days. I never attended lectures though, so yeah I never really had a problem.
Reply 58

Go workout in the uni gym if there is one.
I’m not sure if they will do any of that. 3 hour waits are normal, students are expected to study somewhere. It’s like at sixth form, you can have first and fifth periods and nothing in the middle, but they expect you to study in a study room. It’s no different, OP just seems to be making a fuss over nothing. And before OP says something, I have bad social anxiety so I understand, but you can’t use it as an excuse to complain.

If OP has a diagnosed anxiety disorder and is receiving DSA the university are legally required to make reasonable adjustments for them. As I stated though there is no guarantee either of those things would be done, as the adjustments would be decided after their needs assessment.

Latest