PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm developing some research at the moment, and I want to know whether trainee teachers can make or are involved in referring children if they are concerned about them - so referring to professionals like educational psychology, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy etc.

Would it down to the mentors to flag up anything, or can trainees do this too?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm developing some research at the moment, and I want to know whether trainee teachers can make or are involved in referring children if they are concerned about them - so referring to professionals like educational psychology, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy etc.

Would it down to the mentors to flag up anything, or can trainees do this too?
In most schools, referals of this kind are only done via the SENCO. The SENCO prioritises the children most in need of support, because we don't get enough hours of any of the above in most schools at the moment.

A trainee teacher could flag up problems with a SENCO, but more commonly, especially this early in the year, it would go via the host teacher. It all depends though e.g. a former SEN TA might be more able to spot subtle signs of various SEN.

Most schools will now do initial screening in school for e.g. dyslexia etc, and only refer on if they are fairly sure the child meets the threshold for diagnosis. SENCOs can't diagnose, but they will have a good idea (better than the average class teacher) of who needs additional support.

Often, OT and SALT will be referred to by external bodies as well, e.g. via a peadiatrician, but the service will work with, and sometimes in school. Of course parents can pay privately for these services as well, and (most) schools would take recomendations on board).

The exception to this might be special schools, as I believe some have full time SALT and OT on their staff but I don't know if class teachers could refer directly there either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (60)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.71%

Watched Threads