The Student Room Group

Making friends at uni

I just moved in to uni on Sunday so I've been here about 5 days and I don't really have anyone to kind of call friends. I'm not a big drinker so didn't really go to the any nighttime events but I have been to all the daytime events and have talked to some people but I don't really think we will end up as being friends.

My flatmates are nice but I don't really have the same interests as them and they already have their own friends that they go out with.

I'm starting to feel really lonely and I just wanted to know whether anyone else felt the same when they started and how long it took for them to eventually meet people?
What you need to do is go out there and talk.
Also check my blog about making friends go to publish0x.com and search how to make friends.
But you just need to keep talking, at mealtimes before lectures, in tutorials and stuff. Take advantage of any opportunity.

keep at it stay positive and i guarantee you will make a few friends in the next few weeks
Original post by Anonymous
I just moved in to uni on Sunday so I've been here about 5 days and I don't really have anyone to kind of call friends. I'm not a big drinker so didn't really go to the any nighttime events but I have been to all the daytime events and have talked to some people but I don't really think we will end up as being friends.

My flatmates are nice but I don't really have the same interests as them and they already have their own friends that they go out with.

I'm starting to feel really lonely and I just wanted to know whether anyone else felt the same when they started and how long it took for them to eventually meet people?

Hi @Anonymous! Moving to university is really daunting and I didn't know any other students going to the same university as me initially, so I was worried about making friends too! We had a university Facebook group chat that people messaged in before we started, and it's how I got to find out who was on the same course as me and who I was sharing a flat with for the year! It seems like you've already figured these out though which is great, and it took me a few weeks to settle into a routine with university lectures and sitting with the same group of people (who are now my friends). We got to know each other because we studied the same course, and although some of us like to go out and party and some of us like to stay home, we all find time to spend together going to the cinema, to go and get dessert or go for a walk and a catch-up!

I know that a lot of people felt lonely for the first few weeks as everyone was trying to settle in and find friendship groups, so you're not alone! I think that you'll start to find that in the next few weeks that you'll end up speaking to other students and getting to know them a well, and you'll start to feel a bit more at ease at university! I started university in September but I only started talking to my now-best friend in the November of that year and we were in the same lectures, so you'll soon make friends!! :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck with university!

Best wishes,

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student

Hey, just wanted to check in and see how you were doing?

It's normal to feel lonely at uni, it's such a new and big experience in your life! I know when I was a student I preferred to focus on my studies instead of going out and making friends, there's no right or wrong way to do anything at uni. So don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends, just appear approachable by having a smile on your face, or maybe try adding your course mates on social media and start small by liking their recent photo or replying to their Insta story!

Have you thought about joining a club or society? That way you can be around people who have the same interests as you, and that'll make convo that bit easier. I'd also recommend having a think about becoming a student ambassador or getting involved in volunteering opportunities on campus, such great ways of meeting new people :smile:

I wish you the very best of luck!

Becky

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling really lonely :frown:

Have you tried signing up to any societies that you're interested in? At least by signing up and going to a few events to do with those, you are surrounded by people with the same interests as you (and so are more likely to make friends with such individuals). If there aren't any societies that catch your fancy, it might be worth looking into any volunteering / part time job opportunities? Certain industries like hospitality offer a lot of jobs to students, and it might be a good idea to make friends of similar age and make money (and improve your CV at the same time!).

As well, I know it's so much easier said than done, but trying not to compare your university experience with others can help with feeling 'lonely'. It's easy to forget that people only post the good things on social media :smile:

Best of luck to you,

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest