uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
China is mega peeved but still bellicose over the announcement that the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia have created a new alliance (dubbed AUKUS) to deter Chinese Imperialist ambitions in the Indo-Pacific region and the South China Seas.

The U.S. and U.K will share and develop nuclear submarine technology with Australia to build a new fleet of at least 8 Hunter-Killer class vessels for the Royal Australian Navy.

In doing so, the trio have alienated France and riled the EU by cancelling an existing £30 billion contract with the French to supply Australia with a fleet of 12 Barracuda conventionally powered submarines. Not only that, they gave the French but a few hours notice before making the nuclear deal public.

NATO and the UN in disarray, Macron sidelined and made to look irrelevant, Russia jumping on the bandwagon and gloating with schadenfreude for the cancellation of 2 Mistral amphibious ships they were to take delivery from France - thwarted by their internationally illegal annexation of Crimea.

Hong Kong joint handover-declaration agreement trashed; Taiwan preparing for a Chinese invasion; China building and arming military bases on reefs and islands in the international waters all across the South China Sea.

Both the US and the UK have Carrier led fleets in the South China Seas taunting China with freedom-of-navigation manoeuvres close to Chinese military installations The military build up on both sides continue at an alarming pace.

Call it what you like, the world is now in a nuclear arms race and the world is once again polarising. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-56459744

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1230053.shtml
Last edited by uberteknik; 3 weeks ago
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I honestly think it is just a lot of hot air but not a lot will happen. The West utterly relies on Chinese trade and without it would be crippled overnight, we are seeing just a taste of it with the supply chain issues.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
China is mega peeved but still bellicose over the announcement that the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia have created a new alliance (dubbed AUKUS) to deter Chinese Imperialist ambitions in the Indo-Pacific region and the South China Seas.
Meh they have no means of realistically countering it, nevermind giving Aussie subs is of little concern to the Chinese if they have nothing to arm them with i.e. ballistic missiles or some such.
In doing so, the trio have alienated France and riled the EU by cancelling an existing £30 billion contract with the French to supply Australia with a fleet of 12 Barracuda conventionally powered submarines. Not only that, they gave the French but a few hours notice before making the nuclear deal public.
Poor form but that is an economic and diplomatic issue, not even a particularly serious one bar for Aussie ambitions for a trade agreement with Europe. It certainly isnt symptomatic of WWIII or the collapse of the west...
The French are pissed that theyve lost out on a defence contract theyre well aware of the bigger game being played and theyre not exactly on the Chinese side of it.
NATO and the UN in disarray, Macron sidelined and made to look irrelevant, Russia jumping on the bandwagon and gloating with schadenfreude for the cancellation of 2 Mistral amphibious ships they were to take delivery from France - thwarted by their internationally illegal annexation of Crimea.
The UN has always been a joke, whats wrong with NATO exactly?
He's hardly been made to look irrelevent, what makes you think that? Again, being snubbed in an economic contract is not a sign of the French ditching the west...
As to Russia, somewhat of a leap to bring them into this. Aside from their being perfectly permitted to be pissed at France walking out of a legally binding contract (as was found to be the case). On Crimea, more than slightly irrelevant to this whether you sympathise with Russia taking back its territory or not, given this is about China.
Hong Kong joint handover-declaration agreement trashed; Taiwan preparing for a Chinese invasion; China building and arming military bases on reefs and islands in the international waters all across the South China Sea.
HK is a sign of Chinese belicosity, hardly a precursor to the apocalypse.
Taiwan has certainly not been preparing for a Chinese invasion.. as it has been told repeatedly by the Americans to do. Of course this ignores the fact China isnt capable of invading the island at present. It can bomb a fair whack of it but thats it.
Theyre not building anything in international waters, thats the point, theyre territorial waters of other countries.. hence the problem e.g. fiery cross reef or the paracel islands being claimed by others. Either way, its being done as a defensive (if seen as offensive) way in line with their A2AD policy.
Both the US and the UK have Carrier led fleets in the South China Seas taunting China with freedom-of-navigation manoeuvres close to Chinese military installations The military build up on both sides continue at an alarming pace.
Im not sure you can call our navy a fleet in the traditional sense given its so small but still. I dont see how you can equate this with WWIII being around the corner? We have always done such operations, as the Americans, theres nothing novel about them bar theyre now closer to what China sees as its land, thanks to its island building.
As to build up, not really. the Americans continue their standard practice and China, whilst enlarging its military, is still inwardly focussed (as you can see by its defence spending) with its military being 2nd rate compared to Americas. Big, yes. Good? For the most part no. It has some shiny missiles and lots of conscripts but outside of that theres little thats very novel to it.
Call it what you like, the world is now in a nuclear arms race and the world is once again polarising. What could possibly go wrong?
no it isnt... Well, not to the 1st. China is slightly enlarging its meagre stockpile but that does not a nuclear arms race make. America is renewing its existing weapons, not building more. russia is doing what its always done and anyone else who matters is remaining relatively static. Not exactly an arms race and certainly not one comparable to the cold war in any sense what so ever.
Polarised? Sure but that is hardly a new point to make, it having always been so and certainly since the mid 2000's. Just because the media has finally decided its worthy of writing a couple of ill informed articles on doesnt mean we're looking down the barrel of WWIII. The geopolitical environment is tense, somewhat toxic when it comes to Americas war on Russia and Iran, but its not anywhere near a flash point unless someone decides to seriously up the ante.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I honestly think it is just a lot of hot air but not a lot will happen. The West utterly relies on Chinese trade and without it would be crippled overnight, we are seeing just a taste of it with the supply chain issues.
This, more or less. Alas, economic dependency has never been a particularly good argument for not going to war though. Especially when countries look at issues through the lens of honour, as both the US and CCP like to do. Neither will turn the other cheek, as they say.
It would certainly be an unpleasant economic meltdown if one of the 2 big boys did decide to go postal but i dont see it as being overly likely unless some game changer occurs. At least the US isnt staffed by complete morons, with a few hypernationalist hawks like under Bush and Trump anymore though.

Should be interesting to see what happens when China finally feels capable of exerting itself on matters other than its core redlines though. Or if the US (or China for that matter) decides to cross the others.. be it invading Taiwan (or recognising it etc.) or launching a cyber volley that isnt just irritating (such as previous ones). So many fun possibilities for those two to cause major problems for the other but at the end of the day China is friendless, bar DPRK and possibly Pakistan (even if the US's 'friends' are somewhat flaky) we can only hope that those in Beijing dont feel pushed into a corner like Japan did before WWII, although such a situation is still unlikely in ones view. Its the hawks who like pushing buttons thatre causes of concern.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (162)
54.92%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (43)
14.58%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.81%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.75%

Watched Threads