The Student Room Group

Gap year

Hi - so I’ve decided to take a gap year and start university next year instead. The reason I’ve decided to do this is because my final grades were a lot better than my predicted, so I can now get into Russel group unis and other high ranking ones.

I was predicted two distinctions (BTEC) and a D (A-level). I actually got two distinction *’s and a B. Hell of a lot better and can definitely get into better uni’s than what could and did apply to.

I’m just wondering - what’s the process for reapplying next year? Do I just reapply to UCAS and get 5 choices again? Is it any different?
Be aware that many RG and other 'top' Unis will not accept 'single' BTECs unless they are alongside 2 A levels - and for some subjects they wont accept single subject BTECs at all. So, they may not accept the qualifications you have, regardless of the grades achieved.
You will need to check carefully that each Uni you want to apply to will definitely accept your qualifications - before you apply.
If there isnt clear info on the course page or another page on the website, then email Uni Admissions Office and ask.

What degree subject are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by McGinger
Be aware that many RG and other 'top' Unis will not accept 'single' BTECs unless they are alongside 2 A levels - and for some subjects they wont accept single subject BTECs at all. So, they may not accept the qualifications you have, regardless of the grades achieved.
You will need to check carefully that each Uni you want to apply to will definitely accept your qualifications - before you apply.
If there isnt clear info on the course page or another page on the website, then email Uni Admissions Office and ask.

What degree subject are you thinking of applying for?

Yeah I’ve seen a few unis (Oxford Cambridge and Imperial college of London) won’t take you with BTEC’s, but most others do. My BTEC is the equivalent of two A-levels and I have an A-level beside it so I have plenty of options still. But yeah you’re right I defo need to make sure the uni I’m applying for will take me with my grades.

I’m thinking of doing a humanities degree, either politics criminology or maybe even psychology.
Politics and Crim are both social sciences - not humanities subjects.

And Psychology at degree level is a science.
Original post by McGinger
Politics and Crim are both social sciences - not humanities subjects.

And Psychology at degree level is a science.

Social sciences are considered humanities subjects come on. And also, psychology is considered a social science as well.

Anyways, those are the courses I’m considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending