The Student Room Group

BTEC for Oxford?

Hiya, I am currently taking the level 3 Extended Diploma in IT, and am also self studying Maths and Further Maths A Levels over the two years. I know Oxford say they would accept this for Computer Science, but has anyone heard of it actually happening?

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Is there a reason why you're not studying Maths and Further Maths in college?
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
Is there a reason why you're not studying Maths and Further Maths in college?

Didn't want to go to a sixth form as I am currently 18, and only local college is technical based.
Reply 3
I think for oxford cs you have to be really exceptional to get in bc they take so few ppl in the first place. take physics alongside maths and fm if you can as that will make ur life easier and focus on preparing for the mat. You don't have to have done any cs in the past and a btec in IT isn't going to prepare you for the course as the course is highly theoretical to my knowledgee
Original post by Cs115
I think for oxford cs you have to be really exceptional to get in bc they take so few ppl in the first place. take physics alongside maths and fm if you can as that will make ur life easier and focus on preparing for the mat. You don't have to have done any cs in the past and a btec in IT isn't going to prepare you for the course as the course is highly theoretical to my knowledgee

Hi there,

Just my input on this as far as I know since I know a few students who took this route, I know people studying the CS course at Oxford but none who have taken the BTEC route unfortunately; although a few counter arguments I'd just make:
1. The Oxford CS course itself works on building a knowledge for students who may not have done academia in that field prior, the entry requirements require either an A Level in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computer Science
2. The entry requirements outline that the faculty requires a mathematical A Level alongside the BTEC
3. The interview questions aren't based around theoretic and are mainly pure mathematically focused
4. Oxford wouldn't add BTEC to their entry requirements if they don't think applicants have the capabilities to study their course
5. Depending on the OP's college he/she will cover a wide array of topics which cover the many fundamental aspects of Computer Science weather it may be Object Oriented Programming, Procedural Programming, Ethics in Digital Innovation, Concurrent Programming, Design and Analysis Concepts, or Mathematical and Further Mathematical units. I know people who have taken BTEC's and attended universities like Durham, Warwick and Loughborough when paired with an A* in Mathematics.

If a student has potential in a field the university, especially Oxford, will work hard to ensure that you have the capability to learn properly with their facilities. If OP is dedicated to studying his mathematics course, and applying to Oxford, all I can wish him is luck in his studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending