The Student Room Group

Predicted grades struggle

So basically, in my UCAS exams at the end of year 12, I got a B in business, C in psychology and C in biology, my predicted grades that I've been given are a B in Business, B in psychology but my biology department are refusing to give me a B for my predicted. Now the universities that I want to apply to are Liverpool and Sheffield Uni and they both want three B's to do an orthoptics course so will I get rejected on the basis of the C in predicted biology. I have in my opinion a pretty strong personal statement because I was able to get work experience at a hospital in orthoptics and at a nursery and should get good references from my teachers. I'm just slightly worried that the universities would just read the personal statements or give the time of the day to those applications with 3 B's and above. So yeah any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Hi . Could you not put together a plan or maybe do extra tests / homework etc to convince the biology department to push your grade to a B .
Seems rather unfair !
Reply 2
Original post by Dimpledchin
Hi . Could you not put together a plan or maybe do extra tests / homework etc to convince the biology department to push your grade to a B .
Seems rather unfair !

It really is unfair, I've practically begged them to let me do a test to prove I can get a B grade, I showed them the amount of work I did over the summer including the fact that I got ahead of the school and learnt an extra 3 chapters etc. I even told them I would be willing to go into year 12 lessons.
Then I suggest you dont apply to Uni right now - and instead work your socks off this year to get the highest grades possible ('I'll show them') and then apply with fantastic achieved grades next year. Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
That really is a great idea .
If your predicted grades are BBC and you need BBB to get on your course then you will automatically be rejected based on your predicted grades. Sorry to be so blunt but with thousands of applications unis are looking for reasons to reject.
Reply 6
Yeah, 100% that's a great idea but I think I might just apply anyway this year just to see if I get an offer with my predicted grades, if not I'll work hard and get the grades I need and take a gap year and reapply with my actual grades.
Original post by mike23mike
If your predicted grades are BBC and you need BBB to get on your course then you will automatically be rejected based on your predicted grades. Sorry to be so blunt but with thousands of applications unis are looking for reasons to reject.

Be quiet. I applied to A*AA courses with A*AB, with a B in maths when they wanted A, and I got 5 offers. Don't scare them.
Reply 8

I think that's not necessarily true. Two years ago, my son's teacher said that many unis (including Sheffield) make their standard offer and leave you to get the grades when it counts. He applied for a A*AA course with ABB predicted and received an offer and is now in year 2 ( having achieved AAB). Good luck.
If your predicted grades are BBC and you need BBB to get on your course
then you will automatically be rejected based on your predicted grades.

Incorrect.
This is not automatic for all courses or all Unis.

Even for A grade courses, many Unis will make 'aspirational offers' - and for courses asking for BBB its very common for Unis to make offers to those one grade below. There is never any guarantee of an offer in these circumstances, but its is certainty worth have one or two choices like this.
Reply 10
Thanks, everyone I really appreciate all the input, I think I will still apply and see if I'm lucky enough to get the offer, if not it's all good I'll just work hard for the actual exams and use them next year to apply.

Quick Reply