Rosiemae885
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am trying to gather some advice on media studies and courses relating around it but I find that some universities are quite biased and don’t give realistic reviews so I thought I’d ask on here so anyone who is currently in university studying a media, journalism, communications or advertising course or similar can someone tell me what uni you went to and your honest opinion on the course

Thank you
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rosiemae885)
1) some universities are quite biased and don’t give realistic reviews
2) so I thought I’d ask on here so anyone who is currently in university studying a media, journalism, communications or advertising course or similar 3) can someone tell me what uni you went to and your honest opinion on the course
1) So you'd expect them to put quotes on their own website telling potential applicants that it wasn't worth doing the course.....?
2) There is no 'national syllabus' for any degree subject - all Universities are different and each degree course (even if it has the same name) will have different content/options etc.
3) Anyone on TSR will only have been to one Uni (or none) and their opinion of any one course is not going to tell you anything useful - and it certainly wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni.

To decide which course you want to do and at which Uni, you cannot just 'google the answer' - you actually have to put in some leg work and do you own research. Go to Uni Open Days - in person or online - listen to the 'subject talk' for the course you want to do and think carefully about what YOU want in a degree course and the sort of Uni where you will feel comfortable.
Useful Open Day calendar site here : https://www.opendays.com/
Rosiemae885
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
1) So you'd expect them to put quotes on their own website telling potential applicants that it wasn't worth doing the course.....?
2) There is no 'national syllabus' for any degree subject - all Universities are different and each degree course (even if it has the same name) will have different content/options etc.
3) Anyone on TSR will only have been to one Uni (or none) and their opinion of any one course is not going to tell you anything useful - and it certainly wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni.

To decide which course you want to do and at which Uni, you cannot just 'google the answer' - you actually have to put in some leg work and do you own research. Go to Uni Open Days - in person or online - listen to the 'subject talk' for the course you want to do and think carefully about what YOU want in a degree course and the sort of Uni where you will feel comfortable.
Useful Open Day calendar site here : https://www.opendays.com/
No I agree completely with you which is why I’m asking on here for peoples opinions? I’ve done lots of research, open days, uni stats etc but I would much prefer to hear someone’s opinion that isn’t influenced by the universities which again why I asked on here
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No I agree completely with you which is why I’m asking on here for peoples opinions? I’ve done lots of research, open days, uni stats etc but I would much prefer to hear someone’s opinion that isn’t influenced by the universities which again why I asked on here
As you have already been told people will not know enough. They will onloy have experience of 1 university and everywhere some will be happy and others unhappy. That is the way of the world. What someone else thinks isnt going to be the same as you.
Rosiemae885
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
As you have already been told people will not know enough. They will onloy have experience of 1 university and everywhere some will be happy and others unhappy. That is the way of the world. What someone else thinks isnt going to be the same as you.
Yeah I do understand that I was just hoping for some reply’s of peoples experiences at there course just as a general, I’m more thinking because I’m undecided onto whether I want to do a course in media in general or look into an advertising course and was just seeing peoples general opinions but I completely get your point and will jsut continue researching further
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Media studies is a useless Mickey Mouse degree, along with related courses. I suggest you look at alternative options such as apprenticeships as a degree in the discipline isn’t worth it
Last edited by Thisismyunitsr; 4 weeks ago
Rosiemae885
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Media studies is a useless Mickey Mouse degree, along with related courses. I suggest you look at alternative options such as apprenticeships as a degree in the discipline isn’t worth it
Hi thank you for your comment I will still be doing a degree in media as it is something I enjoy and I’m not going to do something that I have no interest in and I think that for myself personally it will be a better option to do a degree rather than an apprenticeship but thank you for your advice
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi thank you for your comment I will still be doing a degree in media as it is something I enjoy and I’m not going to do something that I have no interest in and I think that for myself personally it will be a better option to do a degree rather than an apprenticeship but thank you for your advice
This is the wrong way of looking at it. A degree, these days should be an investment, primarily a financial one.

You’re going to go into almost £50,000 of debt that you shall never pay off to learn a bunch of things you can teach yourself online. This shall almost certainly culminate in you attaining a job that could be done without you attaining a degree in the first place. It’s a hell of a lot of money to go to university and for a lot of people it’s not worth the time, money or stress and they come out in worse scenarios than if they hadn’t of attended.

I really don’t feel it’s worth it for most young people if your desired job doesn’t require a degree level qualification. I’m 24 now, so a lot older than you and none of my friends who did vocational options (apprenticeships etc) regret their decision whereas a fair few that went to university do (Like a 1/3rd).

Make the right choice.
Rosiemae885
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
This is the wrong way of looking at it. A degree, these days should be an investment, primarily a financial one.

You’re going to go into almost £50,000 of debt that you shall never pay off to learn a bunch of things you can teach yourself online. This shall almost certainly culminate in you attaining a job that could be done without you attaining a degree in the first place. It’s a hell of a lot of money to go to university and for a lot of people it’s not worth the time, money or stress and they come out in worse scenarios than if they hadn’t of attended.

I really don’t feel it’s worth it for most young people if your desired job doesn’t require a degree level qualification. I’m 24 now, so a lot older than you and none of my friends who did vocational options (apprenticeships etc) regret their decision whereas a fair few that went to university do (Like a 1/3rd).

Make the right choice.
I was brought up to not think about money, I’m a 17 year old who wants to go to uni for social life, to further education, who knows what will happen in the next 4 years of my life but university is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and the financial cost after university is the last thing I’m worrying about right now, my siblings didn’t go to uni and are doing well in life, my cousins went to uni and are also doing well in life with one also doing a media degree so again thank you for your further input but I’m still pretty certain that I will be doing a degree in media
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was brought up to not think about money, I’m a 17 year old who wants to go to uni for social life, to further education, who knows what will happen in the next 4 years of my life but university is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and the financial cost after university is the last thing I’m worrying about right now, my siblings didn’t go to uni and are doing well in life, my cousins went to uni and are also doing well in life with one also doing a media degree so again thank you for your further input but I’m still pretty certain that I will be doing a degree in media
If your siblings are doing well without a degree, then why go? Also don’t go to university for the social life. It’s really very overrated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads