Which medical schools should I apply to? 2530 UCAT Band 1 and A*AAA predicted

Watch
mariaknightt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I'd appreciate some advice on med schools
I'm choosing which unis to apply to, and I'm not sure if Medicine at Edinburgh is a realistic option:
I have A*AAA predicted- A* French, A in Bio Chem Maths

2530 in the UCAT Band 1- SJT will be beneficial but my UCAT score is quite low..

I'm undecided which unis would be good options? My reference and personal statement are OK although not sure how much difference that will make, especially this year
Last edited by mariaknightt; 4 weeks ago
Kffh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mariaknightt)
Hi! I'd appreciate some advice on med schools
I'm choosing which unis to apply to, and I'm not sure if Medicine at Edinburgh is a realistic option:
I have A*AAA predicted- A* French, A in Bio Chem Maths

2530 in the UCAT Band 1- SJT will be beneficial but my UCAT score is quite low..

I'm undecided which unis would be good options? My reference and personal statement are OK although not sure how much difference that will make, especially this year
Hi, reference and personal statements usually don't help too much, even under normal circumstances. From what I know Edinburgh weighs the ucat a lot so that may not be the best option . Don't beat yourself up though, there are plenty of med schools which weigh your gcses more than ucat (which I'm assuming were great looking at those amazing a level predictions). Have a look at the medic portal and similar but from what I know Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, hull-york, Keele, edge hill are just some options you could look at. Im assuming you'd rather not do the bmat but I think with your ucat and grades you have a pretty good chance at securing an interview with one of these. Just apply strategically after doing your research on individual scoring systems.
mariaknightt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kffh)
Hi, reference and personal statements usually don't help too much, even under normal circumstances. From what I know Edinburgh weighs the ucat a lot so that may not be the best option . Don't beat yourself up though, there are plenty of med schools which weigh your gcses more than ucat (which I'm assuming were great looking at those amazing a level predictions). Have a look at the medic portal and similar but from what I know Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, hull-york, Keele, edge hill are just some options you could look at. Im assuming you'd rather not do the bmat but I think with your ucat and grades you have a pretty good chance at securing an interview with one of these. Just apply strategically after doing your research on individual scoring systems.
Thank you so much ! Sorry about the question overload, but what do you think about Queen Mary's? I have read that they care about UCAS points relative to UCAT score too, so their website says that 242 UCAS points paired with a 2580 UCAT score is OK, so I'm not sure if my 248 UCAS points and 2530 UCAT B1 score is viable?

(GCSEs are 9 8/9s and 4 7s )
Last edited by mariaknightt; 4 weeks ago
Kffh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much ! Sorry about the question overload, but what do you think about Queen Mary's? I have read that they care about UCAS points relative to UCAT score too, so their website says that 242 UCAS points paired with a 2580 UCAT score is OK, so I'm not sure if my 248 UCAS points and 2530 UCAT B1 score is viable?

(GCSEs are 9 8/9s and 4 7s )
I'm not sure about them because I didn't really look at them too much when I was applying but my advice would be call them and ask directly. You have plenty of options where you'd be able to get interviews I think so best to be sure before you apply somewhere where the scoring isn't completely clear. is the 2580 percentile 6 for this year so far?
mariaknightt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kffh)
I'm not sure about them because I didn't really look at them too much when I was applying but my advice would be call them and ask directly. You have plenty of options where you'd be able to get interviews I think so best to be sure before you apply somewhere where the scoring isn't completely clear. is the 2580 percentile 6 for this year so far?
Perfect, thank you! I will call admissions and ask. 2580 is in the 6th percentile this year and last year, and my score is in the 5th: although it looks like UCAT averages will dip low enough after everyone has taken the test, which allows me to be in the 6th percentile too.
user987654123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perfect, thank you! I will call admissions and ask. 2580 is in the 6th percentile this year and last year, and my score is in the 5th: although it looks like UCAT averages will dip low enough after everyone has taken the test, which allows me to be in the 6th percentile too.
I think you should definitely have Barts as an aspirational one as you never know what might happen and might be kicking yourself for not applying! That's just my opinion tho and what I'm doing for my dream uni (st andrews)
mariaknightt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by user987654123)
I think you should definitely have Barts as an aspirational one as you never know what might happen and might be kicking yourself for not applying! That's just my opinion tho and what I'm doing for my dream uni (st andrews)
Yes, definitely go for it! I think I've definitely chosen Barts, and QUB as an insurance as with my points I am very likely to get an interview- but for my final 2 am undecided between liverpool, KCL, HYMS and Ediburgh, as not sure if I can afford to apply to one like KCL/Edinburgh as one of my 2 choices left. What do you think?
saz987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey we got similar UCAT and tariff scores! I have a 2580 ucat and 244 ucas tariff points. I have no idea where to apply tbh im quite overwhelmed lol looking at all the tsr threads and trying to decide.

Yes, definitely go for it! I think I've definitely chosen Barts, and QUB as an insurance as with my points I am very likely to get an interview- but for my final 2 am undecided between liverpool, KCL, HYMS and Ediburgh, as not sure if I can afford to apply to one like KCL/Edinburgh as one of my 2 choices left. What do you think?
Chironn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey I think atm 2530 falls into the 4th percentile. 5th would be 2570 and above (but this will drop undoubtedly)
Kffh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by user987654123)
Of course but just be sure you’d be considered before you apply. Med schools are so harsh bcs they get so many applicants, most people get rejected automatically straight away bcs they don’t meet the criteria
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (298)
57.31%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (73)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.35%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.46%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.85%

Watched Threads