Personal statement- do I mention dropping out

Watch
lawstudentfg12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I completed 2 out of 3 years of a law degree (Hons), do I or don’t I add this experience into my personal statement?

So background- my aspiration was to do child nursing and at 18 I had the required ucas points to apply but due to the competitiveness I did not even get an interview. Me being the dramatic teen I was saw this as I’ll never get in... and I took a 360 turn and applied to go to Uni to do a law degree (via clearing). I completed my first year & my second year. But then covid happened and I couldn’t attend (due to personal reasons) meaning I did not complete my third (and final) year. Now this in my opinion gives me an advantage academically as I know what standard is expected from me as I did successfully complete 2 years of a degree and a very difficult one at that. And the child nursing I actually would like to do at the same university which I loved.

However nursing is all about commitment etc and I’m very concerned to mention my academic background due to not actually achieving a degree at the end of the 3 years. However should I not mention it there would be a 3 year gap on my ucas application and they may be confused and less likely to offer me an interview. Furthermore they will likely find out anyway as I will be on their system already should I go for an interview!

So, do i mention my academic background and experience so far within my personal statement? If so HOW. How can I write ‘I did show commitment by completing 2 years out of 3 of a degree I didn’t like but then withdrew in the final semester of my final year showing I’m flakey’😂 HELP

Ps- I’ve now returned to college to complete an access to nursing course (despite having the ucas points already) to hopefully show my commitment to child nursing returning to studies related to that, and furthering my biology knowledge!

Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You don’t have to mention it in your PS.

You must declare it in your education section.

It won’t hurt to address it in your PS but not in great detail.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would mention it in passing on your PS - something along the lines of while you passed the first 2 years of a law degree, that was enough time to make you realise that you had no interest in law as a career and you would far rather be working towards your ideal career which is nursing
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Agree with the above replies. Only mention it insomuch as it relates to your motivation for the new course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (2)
100%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads