*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 4 of 4]

Watch
This discussion is closed.
LilGoat7
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

I’m planning to apply for ARU, KMMS, and SGUL. Which med schools could I select for my 4th medicine option? Is Lincoln Medical School a good option (on the basis that i can get an interview?) . Also for my 5th option, I'd like to consider dentistry (if this is even allowed?) . However since my personal statement is based on medicine, are there any dental schools that I could apply to which dont look at personal statement (or put minimal emphasis on it?). Thank you!
Last edited by LilGoat7; 2 months ago
Boothymiller
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 020200)
In which case yeah, you could go for Sheffield but double-check you aren't missing anywhere because your UCAT is really good, so make sure you squeeze that advantage.
I don’t know where else. I liked Nottingham but being realistic that I don’t have enough (119/152) is there anywhere I have missed? I really would like to do dissection. I realise Newcastle and Bristol don’t but do it but have chance in intercalation years. I really don’t want to go london. I live very near to london so would travel and I don’t want to do that. That’s why I have avoided aru as live 20 minutes from there.is there anywhere I have missed??
Effyd123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Reposting becasue didn't get response

Would really appreciate if you could help ecolierGANFYDbecausethenight

Mature student 23 y/o

GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
A physics
B maths
8 English Lang (taken as adult)
8 Modern Hebrew (taken as adult)
7 Human Biology IGCSE (taken as adult)
pending Chemistry

A levels, subjects and predictions
Access to HE medicine at The Manchester College (course QAA certified) predicted all distinctions

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Quantitative Reasoning 710
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

Brief mention of work experience
2 years volunteering as EMT
1 year volunteering in local charity
3+ years in management

Any contextual or WP flags
Fit in pretty much all WP flags, for postcode, schools, and first in family. However, many unis dont look at WP for mature students

Ideally would love to apply for Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds & Lancaster.

Doing BMAT in November.

Do you think i'm being unreasonable?
Last edited by Effyd123; 2 months ago
iamaslostasyou
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Effyd123)

Would really appreciate if you could help ecolierGANFYDreality_check

Mature student 23 y/o

A physics
B maths
pending Chemistry

Access to HE medicine at The Manchester College (course QAA certified) predicted all distinctions

Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

3+ years in management

Fit in pretty much all WP flags, for postcode, schools, and first in family. However, many unis dont look at WP for mature students

Doing BMAT in November.

Are you sitting GAMSAt for Lpool? They require GAMSAT even for A100 for grads!
Effyd123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by iamaslostasyou)
Are you sitting GAMSAt for Lpool? They require GAMSAT even for A100 for grads!
I never wrote that I'm a grad... I'm undergrad....
iamaslostasyou
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I never wrote that I'm a grad... I'm undergrad....
Oh sorry I just saw mature student and assumed - no GAMSAT then !
Effyd123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by iamaslostasyou)
Oh sorry I just saw mature student and assumed - no GAMSAT then !
Yes lucky me only need UCAT and BMAT.... :mad:
Coolkingz
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Coolkingz

You may see above that I'm debating for my final spot between Aston and Manchester. My Aston score I make out to be 31/36 and my UCAT is 2760 B1. Which one would you say is the safer bet. My other 3 firm options are HYMS, Leicester and UEA.
Could you post all your stats again please?
Effyd123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

Mature student 23 y/o

A physics
B maths
pending Chemistry

Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

3+ years in management

Doing BMAT in November.

Coolkingz you think you could help me as well
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Coolkingz)
Could you post all your stats again please?
Degree: 1:1 Biochemistry from KCL
GCSE: 6 A*, 4 A, 3 B (Maths A, Eng Lang B, A* in bio and chem - I know aston scores these subjects)
UCAT: 2760, B1

Pretty sure they all consider grads and undergrads together providing you aren't WP (don't think grads are eligible for WP pts anyway obvs)
Last edited by 020200; 2 months ago
Coolkingz
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

Mature student 23 y/o

A physics
B maths
pending Chemistry

Verbal Reasoning 650
Decision Making 680
Abstract Reasoning 630
Total Score 2670
SJT band 2

3+ years in management

Doing BMAT in November.

I wouldn't say you're being unreasonable, I just think you're making risky choices. Going for 2 BMAT choices out of 4 when one doesn't know what their score will be is a huge risk to me at least. You also don't meet the minimum GCSE entry requirements for Liverpool (score of 15 required and I think your score is 9). I'm unsure of what A Levels you have/any A Level predictions, but assuming you can get AAA, you have a few options. It sounds like you have a lot of work experience, so Keele and Sunderland could be great if you can write about your experiences. I think you should also consider Anglia Ruskin.
Coolkingz
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Degree: 1:1 Biochemistry from KCL
GCSE: 6 A*, 4 A, 3 B (Maths A, Eng Lang B, A* in bio and chem - I know aston scores these subjects)
UCAT: 2760, B1

Pretty sure they all consider grads and undergrads together providing you aren't WP (don't think grads are eligible for WP pts anyway obvs)
I make your Aston score to be 29/36 (A in maths = 3, B in English Language = 2, A*s in Bio and chem = 8, and then the remaining 2 highest subjects = 8. A UCAT of 2760 would only get 8 points). I think Manchester definitely would be a better option then.
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Coolkingz

You may see above that I'm debating for my final spot between Aston and Manchester. My Aston score I make out to be 31/36 and my UCAT is 2760 B1. Which one would you say is the safer bet. My other 3 firm options are HYMS, Leicester and UEA.
Manchester should be safe and Aston a little risky. Can't really tell until the final UCAT stats are out, but Manchester used to interview top 3 deciles. They are no longer guaranteeing that, if you are in the top 2 deciles, you should be fine.
BBear_123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I'm currently taking a gap year and thinking of applying to Med this year. Can you please advise me on what unis I should apply for. ecolier GANFYD reality_check

GCSEs:
Biology: 8
Chemistry: 8
Citizenship: 9
English Language: 6
English Literature: 9
Mathematics: 8
Physics: 8
Religious studies:6

A level grades (achieved in 2021):
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*

UCAT score:
VR: 530
DM:620
QR: 740
AR:720
SJT: Band 2
Total: 2610/ 652.2

Experience:
Working as a receptionist at a GP in my gap year
Work experience at a hospital for a week.
5 months volunteering in a care home.

Contextual:
I'm from quintile 4
Last edited by BBear_123; 2 months ago
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I make your Aston score to be 29/36 (A in maths = 3, B in English Language = 2, A*s in Bio and chem = 8, and then the remaining 2 highest subjects = 8. A UCAT of 2760 would only get 8 points). I think Manchester definitely would be a better option then.
Scoring is different for grads, they assign less pts to GCSEs and give 8pts for a 1:1 so my score is 31/36 by my calculation. 2pts for an A*/A at A-Level achieved. Would you still say Manchester?
Effyd123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I wouldn't say you're being unreasonable, I just think you're making risky choices. Going for 2 BMAT choices out of 4 when one doesn't know what their score will be is a huge risk to me at least. You also don't meet the minimum GCSE entry requirements for Liverpool (score of 15 required and I think your score is 9). I'm unsure of what A Levels you have/any A Level predictions, but assuming you can get AAA, you have a few options. It sounds like you have a lot of work experience, so Keele and Sunderland could be great if you can write about your experiences. I think you should also consider Anglia Ruskin.
Thanks for that!!

I understood that liverpools GCSE requirements are more lenient for mature students with an access course... Is that incorrect?

Again, i'm not doing A levels, access course replaces that, but sunderland dont take access courses so thats off the books for me
Last edited by Effyd123; 2 months ago
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TCL)
Manchester should be safe and Aston a little risky. Can't really tell until the final UCAT stats are out, but Manchester used to interview top 3 deciles. They are no longer guaranteeing that, if you are in the top 2 deciles, you should be fine.
Yeah, 2760 is just below the 8th decile according to interim statistics, but should hopefully become the 80th-82nd percentile once final data is out!
Effyd123
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for that!!

I understood that liverpools GCSE requirements are more lenient for mature students with an access course... Is that incorrect?

Again, i'm not doing A levels, access course replaces that, but sunderland dont take access courses so thats off the books for me
from liverpools website;

Applicants offering non-traditional qualifications are assessed on an individual basis. However applicants offering an

Access qualification should usually offer:
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade B (score 6) or higher (or equivalent). These must include English Language,
Maths, and Science (either Core & Additional or separate Biology/Chemistry/Physics). The qualifications should
preferably be achieved at one sitting. A GCSE score of 6 is deemed equivalent to a B grade, 7 an A grade and
8/9 as A*. AND
• 45 level 3 credits at distinction (or equivalent) in the approved Access to Medicine course. The 45 Level 3 credits
will usually need to offer at least 15 Level 3 credits in Biology, 15 in Chemistry and 15 in at least one other
subject, but may differ depending on the course offered e.g. a typical offer for an MSC approved Access to HE
(Medicine) course will vary depending on its content
Coolkingz
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Scoring is different for grads, they assign less pts to GCSEs and give 8pts for a 1:1 so my score is 31/36 by my calculation. 2pts for an A*/A at A-Level achieved. Would you still say Manchester?
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I'm sorry. I think it's a difficult one, and while I'm no expert, I'd still probably go with Manchester!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by studentLuna)
Hi GANFYD becausethenight A_J_B
Just wanted your final words of wisdom before submitting my application.
Could you please let me know if my choices are okay? Thank you so much!
My stats in the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Show
GCSEs 88877777666 (Biology,DT,RE,Eng Lit,Chemistry,Physics,Geography,Maths,Eng Lang, Further Math, French respectively)
UCAT 2530 band 2 (600 VR, 640 DM, 620 QR, 670 AR)
A-levels predicted: AAA (biology, chemistry and economics)
WE/Volunteering/Programmes: Pathways to medicine (Newcastle), MedView (KCL), SFM, ! week at PLT + A&E ward, Medic Mentor Virtual WEX 6 months, BSMS, Observe GP, volunteering at care home, tutoring/mentoring younger children, prefect, school council, volunteering at COVID vaccination centre + campaigner.
Contextual: Polar quintile 2, First generation to go to uni, state school

Researched unis:
1. KCL EMDP - ABB required, holistic process, part of MedView so some consideration, last year min ucat was in the 2400s?, tailored my PS to their criteria, meet GCSE requirements, contextual
2. Sunderland - AAB (WP), ucat minimum 3rd decile, live local so more contextual consideration, I think I have enough for the R & R form,
3/4 - KMMS - ABB (WP), over their last year's cut off (2470) but is it risky for me to apply this year? Performed above average at my school (GCSEs)
ARU - ABB (WP) , ranked by UCAT, last year 2390 lowest, meet GCSEs requirements + contextual
Liverpool - AAA (WP?), Ranking on UCAT (last year min 2400s?) then GCSE points 18/19 + contextual
I can't seem to choose two between the last three so I wanted some advice as I quite like all three courses. I'm also open to looking into any other university if I have a better chance at them.
Newcastle was my favourite but I'm quite off the PtM cut off and I don't think I can afford a wild card just because of my emotions.

Thank you so much again!
I don't know anything about WP and Foundation applicants, sorry.
Sunderland use their R&R form to shortlist, so nobody can comment
KMMS do heavily contextualise all applicants but nobody has any idea how

ARU cut off was 2430 last year, but I think all of the lower UCAT requiring med schools are going to be squeezed by people wiht higher UCATs avoiding higher score requiring unis due to the rise in but offs last year. Hopefully that, and Liverpool, will both be below your cut off.
Keele shortlist the same way as Sunderland, and Aston and Plymouth may also be options, if contextual, plus HYMS

Even Newcastle Partners cut off was 2720 last year, so would likely be a waste of a choice, I'm afraid
Last edited by GANFYD; 2 months ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads