*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 4 of 4]

Watch
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Moe989)
Hi just did my UCAT and got 2580 , band 3

I am a grad with 2.1 in Biomedicine

I got BCC A levels, with C in biology and English lit, B in psychology and no chemistry.

I understand I’m limited because of lack of chemistry. However I have done some modules in University. Such as fundamentals of chemistry which covers Alevel content and other modules such as biochemistry and pharmacology ( don’t know if they apply)

Please could I get some options of where to apply

So far I have 1 option

1. Anglia Ruskin
Unfortunately, those that do not look for A levels want a high UCAT, generally, as there is always going to be a filter somewhere or numbers would be overwhelming.
I think the only other one you may be able to look at is KMMS as you are below Newcastle, SGUL, Southampton, Kings, Barts and Liverpool, BSMS, Keele etc req different admissions tests. I do not know what KMMS cut off for grads was, so have a read of the thread, but they used CaSPER and contextualisation, so it may be hard to tell
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by user987654123)
Surely the St Andrews cut off won't rise above 2800? If so, I'm screwed!!!!
It seemed to be above that for RUK last year
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by pmcgx)
i did my ucat today and ended up getting a score of 2230 which is pretty low and i got band 3 for SJT which i’m pretty disappointed in as i was getting band 2 in my mocks on medify.

i’m not sure what to do as i was going to apply for bristol along with exeter , southampton and possibly kings or imperial however those are out the question due to the score.

i’m definitely applying for exeter as i have a guaranteed interview there but idk what to put for my fourth uni as my choices are now exeter, imperial and brighton as it seems i’m going to have to sit the BMAT in november. my predicted grades are AAA but my gcses are pretty average where they are mainly 5’s and 6’s and one 7.

can anyone suggest any advice or any unis that don’t consider ucat as much - i’ve heard of cardiff not considering it much but they’re entry point system for getting an interview doesn’t look too promising for me as i only have 12 points in total ( including gcses and predicted a levels ). the last thing i want to do is have to do a gap year or retake the ucat.

soz 4 the long paragraph but if anyone could help that would be much appreciated and thank u in advance <33
Unfortunately, 2230 is going to even be below Keele and Sunderland cut offs, I think.
Do you have any WP flags?
ProWerewolf
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have a ucat of 2660 b2 and ucat tariff 180. I wanna apply to Queen Mary’s but I’m scared to apply cos idk if it’s too risky of an option. I looked at last years forum and saw ppl with my stats get an interview but also ppl with a lot higher get rejected so I’m confused. My other options are Plymouth, Hull York and Leicester.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zk23)
Hi, I am gap year student applying for the second time .Could some one reccomend which unis I should apply to. I need 4 interviews as interviews are not my strongest point.

GCSE :

English literature - 9
Combined science - 9,8
Maths - 8
History - 8
Religious studies - 8
German - 7
Computer science - 7
P.E - 6
English language - 5

Retake English language - 9

A levels (Achieved) :

Psychology - A*
Biology - A
Chemistry - A

UCAT Score :

VR - 540
DM - 690
QR - 800
AR - 870
Total - 2900 SJT - Band 2

Work experience :

- Observe GP online work experience
- 2 weeks at a local pharmacy
- A few weeks in a caring home
- Also caring for my mother at home

Nothing contextual for me

Due to my original 5 in English language I have to either apply to unis who accept a 5 in GCSE English language or accept GCSE resits. I was thinking of definitely applying to Kings College London and Manchester. For my other 2 options, I'm thinking either bristol, newcastle, Southampton or UEA. UEA might be a good choice as interviews are not my strongest point and they give offers based on interview and ucat score. What would you guys recommend?
Your choices look OK, if Kings are happy to use your resit score
You can also look at Sheffield, Liverpool, ARU, Aston, Plymouth, SGUL, possibly HYMS (your B2 would be a bit of a diadvantage post interview), Edge Hill,
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProWerewolf)
I have a ucat of 2660 b2 and ucat tariff 180. I wanna apply to Queen Mary’s but I’m scared to apply cos idk if it’s too risky of an option. I looked at last years forum and saw ppl with my stats get an interview but also ppl with a lot higher get rejected so I’m confused. My other options are Plymouth, Hull York and Leicester.
Barts got themselves in a pickle last year and seemed to invite low scoring people to interview, possibly in error, though they may have been contextual. Look at the combinations they gove on their website and assume this year will be a little higher
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...ne--dentistry/
That tariff needed around 2780 for an interview
sara.m12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi GANFYD could you please let me which med skl(outside of London) I would have a chance of getting into with my grades? I’m a reapplicant and doing the biology autumn exam(which is not considered a retake)

A levels:
Biology - A* (predicted)
Chemistry - A
Geography - A

GCSEs:
9 - chemistry
8 - biology
8 - English language
8 English literature
8 - Maths
7 -- Physics
7 - Statistics
7 - Geography
7 - Business studies
7 - Arabic
UCAT: 2530(632)
Band 2
work experience: GP placement, online work experience, 5yrs volunteering care home and will be working as a covid vaccinator in October.

Any help would be much appreciated!
iamaslostasyou
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello GANFYD !

I'm reposting in part 4, think my post got lost in the previous thread and I didn't include breakdown or work exp so here it is:

Spoiler:
Show
UCAT (third time sitting it): 2830 Band 3 (pls let this be the last time I sit this exam)
A levels (2017): A (French), B (Chemistry), B (Biology)
GCSEs (2015): 9A* (Chem, Bio, Phys, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Prod Design, Art, French, History) 2A (Maths, Urdu)
Degree (2021): 1st in Medical Sciences (Hons) BSc
Work Experience/extra-curriculars: shadowing x 3 different hospitals (one in Pakistan), 1-year hospice volunteer, 3 months bank HCA (private company), BSMS online work experience, set up stem cell society and was vice president for one year, president for Islamic society one year, class rep in 1st and 2nd year, award for representing students.
Currently working as a medical writer.

I'm thinking of 1-2 GEM, 2-3 five year courses?
For the five year ones, I'm a bit stuck. I was really banking on GGow and Manchester, but seems like Glasgow RUK cutoff was 2830 last year, and Manchester prefer band 1/2 over 3 for interview. I'm also considering Cardiff A100, Leciester A100, QMUL A100 and/or King's A100. Which do you think are best?

For GEM I'm considering Warwick, and potentially Cambridge A101 as a wildcard (will regret either way if I don't try haha). Do you think there are any other GEM options that might work with my stats - I think the SJT band is really the problem for me!

I did apply last year with 3010 band 2 to Edinburgh A100, Kings A101, Newcastle A101, Birmingham A101 - and was rejected from all four pre-interview. Think I was over-optimistic and didn't put any safe options down - Brum was just a huge mistake as they prefer grads in FT work.

Thanks!
Last edited by iamaslostasyou; 3 weeks ago
barksdale_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
UKCAT: 2590 (higher this year thank god)

GANFYD oh master of medicine applications hear my cries!

GCSE: A*A
A*
A
A
A
A
B
C

A-LEVELS (ACHIEVED, taking a gap year at the moment) : A*AA

I don't know what to write down for my two other choices. I need a some hand here.

At the moment, I can get automatic interviews from Queen's Belfast and Leicester. Should I write down Leicester? Will the interview be harder because it's ranking is higher?
midnightskies0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you to all the help I have received on here so far, it has been great in making me make more well-informed decisions.

I have finally narrowed down my choices to:
- Cardiff (27/27 + Welsh state school applicant)
- Liverpool
- Leicester (59 points)
- ARU

Are these good choices? I also like UEA, HYMS and possibly Plymouth (might be a bit too far away for me) so would swap any of these for ARU or Leicester if it is a safer option.

My stats for reference:

Spoiler:
Show
GCSES
12 A*s (Eng lit and lang, maths, numeracy, chem, bio, physics, comp sci, history, french, welsh, skills)

A Levels
A*A*A predicted (maths, chem, bio in that order)

UCAT: 2740 B2

VR: 590
DM: 700
QR: 730
AR: 720
SJT: Band 2

WEX/Extracurricular
Working as a Pharmacy Assistant, volunteering both inside and out of school in a caring role, school council, leadership & more

WP
From a non selective state school in Wales

Thank you to all the volunteers for your excellent work - you have helped so many like myself make (hopefully) good choices!
ax_lx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hiya!
i am a reapplicant to medicine and im on a gap year and would just like some advice on where to apply for 2022 entry

my gcse's are the following :
6 9's - Bio,Chem,History, Georgraphy, Religious Studies and English Literature.
2 7's - English Language & Maths
2 6's - Physics and Spanish.

my a- levels are :
Biology - A
Psychology - A
Chemistry - B( CAG 2020) A (after resist in 2021 as I did the autumn exam in 2020 which counts as a first sit and got a B in it.)

UCAT is as follows
Total Score - 2420
VR- 640
DM -620
QR - 620
AR - 540
SJT - Band 1

GANFYD which schools do you think I should apply to strategically???
Eggyeg
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi GANFYD, I am thinking of applying to Manchester, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield and maybe Dundee. Although, I was wondering whether I should pop an application into a high UCAT cut-off place like Bristol and Newcastle (which are both my favourites to go to)? I had 2470 UCAT last yr so didn't even bother applying to these. Should I have a lower UCAT safer uni?

Non contextual

A-levels: (achieved)
Chemistry- A*
Biology- A*
Maths- A*

GCSEs: 9999-Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry
8888-RE, Geography, English Lit, Spanish
77- English lang, Art

UCAT: 2850 (band 2)
verbal reasoning -610
decision making -650
quantitative reasoning -720
abstract reasoning -870
sit judg -band 2

Work exp:

GP shadowing for a week, BSMS online exp, volunteering in carehome for 4 months, work in elderly carehome in kitchen and as carer, GCSE tutoring, day shadowing in hospital, CREST gold research project

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks!
AKA NO LIMITS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nvm
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 3 weeks ago
mua1122
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
A levels, subjects and predictions
UCAT and breakdown of subsections
SJT band
Brief mention of work experience
Any contextual or WP flags
The research you have done and any preferences

GCSEs
Biology 9
Chemistry 7
Physics 7
Maths 7
English Lang 7
English Lit 7
RS 8
Computer Science 5
Business 8
History 8
Arabic A

A level predicted grades
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*

UCAT
VR - 600
AR- 720
DM-710
QR-760
SJT = Band 1
Total = 2790 Band 1

Work experience-
1 week volunteering at a psychiatrist

WP:
State school
Live in a polar4 Quintile 2 area

Looking to apply where I have the highest chance of getting in
Is the newcastle partners scheme only eligible if you have already done the summer school?
Where would I most likely get into?
mariaknightt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Edinburgh needed 8 x 8/9s at GCSE (inc core subjects), A*A*A inc A* in chem, B1 and probably >3000 UCAT last year for RUK
Kings needed around 8 x 8/9s and 2780+ UCAT
So both of those are likely to be risky for you

Have a look at ARU, Aston, Lincoln, QUB, Liverpool, Edge Hill, HYMS
Keele and Sunderland are options if you have good material for their R&R form
Plymouth looked for an A* predicted in a science subject last year, so you could check if they are planning the same and they would be an option if not
You can check your UCAS tariff, if oyu have lots of music points, adn look at successful combinations of this and UCAT on the Barts website, but bear in mind this was for 2020 entry, and cut offs went up a lot most places, last year
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergrad...ne--dentistry/
I've just looked at the Bart's website, and they say that with 242 UCAS points, a 2580 UCAT is OK- I have 248 UCAS points and a 2530 UCAT Band 1... Is this enough to apply with a chance? Thank you!
Last edited by mariaknightt; 3 weeks ago
Anay Jain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there
My GCSE grades are 9988877766
My A Level predications are A*A*A with extended project A with a strong personal statement
And a very average UCAT score of 2420
I am keen to study medicine but with my average UCAT score where can I still apply?
pipthesqueak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hello hello tsr!! just did my ucat and gosh I did worse than I what I thought I was working on so now I’m lost on where to apply to! I'd really appreciate any form of advice and guidance!! this is a repeat post from part 3 as that was closed and I didn't get any responses
here are le stats:
GCSEs (9999988876):
English lang- 7
English lit- 9
Maths- 8
Chem- 9
Bio- 8
Physics- 8
Geography- 9
Computer science- 9
RS- 9
French- 6
BTEC Level 2 Health and Social Care: Distinction

A Levels (did them this year):
Chem- A*
Bio- A
Maths- A

UCAT:
overall 2570 (642) band 2
VR: 580
DM: 620
QR: 700
AR: 670

Work experience:
Week shadowing in ENT department of hospital
Week work experience as pharmacist assistant
volunteering as a patient befriender at a ward for 6 months
steward volunteering at COVID-19 vaccination centres (currently)
Will be starting volunteering at a ward this week!
President of medicine society? got a couple of medicine talks/webinars, MOOCs and other super curriculars!
I am also taking a gap year so will be finding more work experience over the next couple of months. Haven't been quite successful yet.

WP?:
Neither parents have been to uni
I was eligible for the UCAT bursary due to those child tax credits and low income : ))

I’d prefer doing an integrated course but even that I don’t mind much!! I am also planning on sitting the BMAT so will be applying to Imperial and UCL. Would I have a shot at those unis?

Thank for your time! I'd be grateful for any advice! I hope you have a lovely day~
Last edited by pipthesqueak; 3 weeks ago
horizonblue
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey there, I am applying for 2022 entry ( I'm a second time applicant) and just wanted some guidance on which universities to apply to:

GCSEs (sat in 2019): 9s in Bio,Chem and Physics, 8s in maths,eng lang, mandarin, 7 in Geography, 6s in Computer science and RE, 5 in eng lit and 4 in drama

A levels (sat in 2021): AAB (As in Bio and maths and B in Chem) I am resitting my Chemistry in 2021 October. I am aiming for an A*, but I will definitely play it safe and not apply to univerisites that want an A* in any subject retaken.
UCAT: vr-640,dm-680,qr-870,ar-590.
SJT band 2
NO BMAT
Work experience: St johns ambulance Cadet (from January 2015 to February 2019), Volunteering at a care home (went every week for 2 hrs from September 2019 to end of January 2020), Shadowed a consultant at Moorfields for a week.

I applied to UEA, Cardiff, Keele and Exeter (I genuinely don't know how I got an interview from Exeter even though their UCAT threshold was apparently very high). I was given interviews by the last two but was not given a conditional offer.

My preferences:
1.I prefer not to go to any London or Scottish universities (I already live in London, so I want to go somewhere else and Scotland is wayyyy too far away)
2. I prefer not to go to Queens university Belfast (too far away)
3. I prefer PBL, but I am completely open to Lecture based learning

All suggestions are welcome
Pegoulini
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any insight on whether scottish unis generally prefer to invite Scottish candidates instead of others, e.g. EU pre-settled students (meaning UK/Home fees). Any experience / advice? Thank you!
minulipremadasa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I am a gap year student applying for the 2nd time. Any help with where to apply will be appreciated!!

GCSE : 4 9s, 4 8s, 7, 6, 1 A*

A levels (Achieved) :

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths- A*
Further maths- A

UCAT Score :

VR - 610
DM - 660
QR - 740
AR - 800
Total - 2810 SJT - Band 2

Work experience :
-1 week haematology placement
-2 years volunteering with children with disabilities
-telephone befriender
-chemo ward volunteer
-charity shop volunteer

Nothing contextual.

I am thinking of applying to Leicester, Plymouth and Keele atm. I would love any other recommendations if you have any! Would ARU be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!!!
Last edited by minulipremadasa; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads