The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

out of southampton, east anglia and aston, which is the easiest to get into?
Original post by snepspell
hi! i thought i narrowed down uni choices to 4, but im back to square one again lmao. here are my stats:

Spoiler

here are my current considerations:

- aston (certain)
- ARU (certain)
- KMMS - (almost certain) after emailing and calling them, still unsure about how to check my attainment against my school so applying here would be a risk bc of that. BUT i love the BSMS curriculum so im sure KMMS would be a learning style i'd love.
- plymouth - im not keen on the low diversity in this general area, being a minority from london i think it would be a bit of a shock. however, i wont rlly let this be the reason why i wont maximise my chances but if there are other options id go for those.
- leicester - waiting on the ucat deciles to see if i'd get an automatic interview, if so, this is also a certain choice for me.
- UEA - risky with the 50% ucat post interview but i'd have to just ace the interview if i even get to the interview.

im also looking at edge hill but its a bit intimidating with its incredibly low admissions rate so probs not :/

my ideal 4 would be aru, leicester, aston, kent (given that im top 5 deciles for leicester). if not, i’d replace leicester with plyms probably. would these be okay? what other combos would be best?

ty for your time, i'd appreciate any help and suggestions! :colondollar:

any help on this would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by li2
hey can i please get some advice if i should apply this year ?
my ucat is a v low 590 and band 3.
each individual sections :
my gcse: 888888775
a level predictions : A*A*A in chem,bio and maths respectively
any help is appreciated/advice on unis and whether or not i should apply.

You are right that your UCAT is low, but there could still be options and I would always apply, as otherwise you guarantee nothing, but if you do apply you might get something.
If your UCAT score ends up in the 3rd decile, you could look at Keele and Sunderland (if your 5 is not in Eng Lang, Maths or Science) who score applicants based on the Roles and Responsibilities form, and UEA (need 7s in Maths and science and 6 in Eng Lang, and your B3 would disadvantahe post-interview). Unfortunately you probably wouldn't interview at other UCAT medical schools, but the BMAT is always an option too and I would really encourage you to think about taking it. You could also have more options if you have contextual flags.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bambi.j
out of southampton, east anglia and aston, which is the easiest to get into?

The one that best fits your academic profile - they all select in different ways.
Original post by Doctore_AJ
So: (GCSE)
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
Maths: 8
English Lit: 7
English Lan:7
Religious Studies: 7
Computer Science: 8
Business: 8
History: 7
French: 6 :frown:

A levels: (Predictions)
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Maths: A*

UCAT 692.5 - Band 2
VR - 580
DM - 620
QR - 740
AR - 830

BSMS Online Work Experience + Volunteering at vaccine clinic
Don't believe I can get any contextual offers
Looking at Aston, Plymouth, Manchester... not sure about the others

Manchester you would hopefully get an interview via the UCAT route, so should be OK.
Plymouth should be very safe. You score 30 for Aston and last years' cutoff seemed to be around 29, so a little risky (https://www.aston.ac.uk/sites/default/files/AMS%20Admissions%20Data%202020_21.pdf)

Could also look at Southampton, SGUL, Liverpool, ARU, maybe Sheffield (cutoff was 2740 last year and B2 is a bit of a disadvantage post interview), probably Exeter, maybe St Andrews or Aberdeen, score yourself for Birmingham on their website looking for 7.5+, Leicester looking for 58+, QUB looking for 31+, Lincoln looking for 118+ to be safe. You have safer options than Keele, Sunderland and KMMS.
@becausethenight I had a couple of question if you could answer them please.
Do you think a score of 74 is safe for Hull York. Also I have a Band 1 so was wondering which unis really like it apart from Birmingham,Hull York and Nottigham.
Original post by wubbamaster55
my stats:

GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
English Language - 7
English Literature - 6
Spanish - 8
Geography - 8
Maths - 9
Physics - 8
RS - 8

A levels, subjects and predictions
Biology - A
Chemistry - A*
Maths - A*

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
UCAT total Score - 2570 Band 2
VR - 510
DM - 620
QR - 760
AR - 680
STJ - Band 2

Brief mention of work experience
volunteering ward helper, online work exp

Any contextual or WP flags
nope

The research you have done and any preferences
thinking about Manchester (what do they look at with 'holistic system"), Liverpool, Hull York (idk if there's a scoring system please let me know) either ARU or UEA which ones better for my application? maybe Plymouth too???

please help @GANFYD

Manchester's holistic system is literally a lottery where someone just reads your application and decides, so depends how much you like Manchester and want to risk it. I would see it as an almost guaranteed rejection and see what happens.

HYMS does have a scoring system but they are very unwilling to disclose it in detail (look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7089691). They score SJT and WP flags heavily so may not be the best choice.

Liverpool and Plymouth would hopefully be OK - we don't know how much cutoffs may go up by but you only have so many places you can apply.

ARU should be OK. UEA seemed to have a mid 2600s cutoff for non-contetxual last year.

You score 30 points for Aston and cutoff last year seemed to be around 29 - have a read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7080374&page=15

Could also look at KMMS if GCSEs likely to contextualise well, Keele and Sunderland if lots of material for the Roles and Responsibilities form. Could also look at Edge Hill.

Score yourself for Birmingham on their website looking for 7.5+, Leicester looking for 58+, QUB looking for 31+, Lincoln looking for 118+ to be safe.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Phoebus_7
@becausethenight I had a couple of question if you could answer them please.
Do you think a score of 74 is safe for Hull York. Also I have a Band 1 so was wondering which unis really like it apart from Birmingham,Hull York and Nottigham.

Not 100% familiar with HYMS's scoring system and they seem very unwilling to share anything but check in the thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7089691 where I'm sure people will be discussing that kind of thing

Lincoln likes it too because they use the same system as Notts. Also Edinburgh, UEA, Sheffield and St Andrews (but you need to check that you meet minimum requirements and meet scoring cutoffs, there's no uni where B1 on its own guarantees an interview)
Reply 748
Original post by becausethenight
You are right that your UCAT is low, but there could still be options and I would always apply, as otherwise you guarantee nothing, but if you do apply you might get something.
If your UCAT score ends up in the 3rd decile, you could look at Keele and Sunderland (if your 5 is not in Eng Lang, Maths or Science) who score applicants based on the Roles and Responsibilities form, and UEA (need 7s in Maths and science and 6 in Eng Lang, and your B3 would disadvantahe post-interview). Unfortunately you probably wouldn't interview at other UCAT medical schools, but the BMAT is always an option too and I would really encourage you to think about taking it. You could also have more options if you have contextual flags.

hey thank u so much for your reply!! im currently getting around 4 and 4.4 in my bmat sections i have a month to improve my score do you think its possible to ? and i think i might i apply for uea (i have the gcse requirements) thanks, and also does keele exclusively only want applicants in the 3rd decile ? because i think im 2nd decile based off interim. and then maybe 2 other bmat unis? would that be even more risky ? i do have contextual flags.
Original post by Mike Ikladios
Hello, @GANFYD would greatly appreciate it if you can share your opinion on my choices

GCSEs:
9: Biology, Chemistry
8: Physics
7:Geography, Maths
6: German, English Lang + Lit
Distinction*: Creative iMedia
Distinction: Health & Social Care

A - level:
Biology, Chemistry, Sociology - AAA Prediction

UCAT:
2590 B2, VR:640 DM:550 QR:690 AR:710

Experiences:
MedicMentor 6-month WEX, BSMS + ObserveGP virtual work experience, volunteering at charity shop, tutoring maths, lots of wider reading etc

WP:
POLAR4 - Quantile 1 postcode, comprehensive state school, UCAT bursary, Low income, first in family to go to uni

Choices written down:
- ARU
- HYMS
- Edge Hill
- KMMS

Do you think these choices are reasonable, would you advise others? Thank you for your support:smile:

ARU should be a good choice, ditto Edge Hill (assuming you are aware of the small number of places?)
HYMS is very difficult to call due to them not sharing anything but your WP should help, maybe discuss in the thread here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089691&p=95960041&page=5#post95960041

KMMS is very hard to call as well as they subjectively contextualise GCSEs, so is always a bit of a shot in the dark but it sounds like you might meet their criteria.

I don't know too much how contextual will influence things so you will need to do your own research (for example Exeter is very generous to contextual factors so could be worth having a poke around on their website) but even without contextual Plymouth, Liverpool and Keele and Sunderland (if you have material for their roles and responsibilities forms) could be options. Do score yourself for Bham on their website looking for 7.5+ as you can get a lot of extra contextual points.
Original post by sophieamiller2
Hi I’m really in need of some advice on where to apply! I’m a grad with great academics but low UCAT, are there any unis which favour this combo? Looking to apply to A100 courses.
My stats:
1st class degree in neuroscience (leeds)
A levels: A*A*A in bio, chem and geog
GCSES: 10 A*s
UCAT: 2680, band 1 (let myself down)
I’m considering Leicester, Nottingham and ARU so far but lots of mixed advice. I know kings look at GCSES but is UCAT still too low? No idea what to think about Barts; people got interviews last year with my stats and they love 1sts but still risky? Please help!

Grads can get scored differently and I do not know much about that, but @020200 may be able to help and I've attached a helpful spreadsheet :smile:
Grads can get scored differently and I do not know much about that, but @020200 may be able to help and I've attached a helpful spreadsheet :smile:

Hi there I’ve got a 7.510 score on the Uni of Birmingham calculator is it worth applying there?
Thanks
Original post by advait3107
Hi there I’ve got a 7.510 score on the Uni of Birmingham calculator is it worth applying there?
Thanks

Are you a school leaver?
It would be very much on the cusp of what we think the cutoff would be, so risky but not a totally impossible choice! Would depend on how much you like Bham and how safe your other choices are.
Original post by Popbrownie
Hi @GANFYD,
I’d like your advice on whether or not I’m likely to get an interview from Leicester, Birmingham, Newcastle, King’s or Barts? I’ll probably apply to 3 of these. I’m probably an international student (I have a UK passport but haven’t been in the country for three years consecutive years yet).

iGCSE: 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,7,7 (9 in EngLit/Lang/Chem/Bio/Math)
UCAT:
VR:790
DM:730
QR:730
AR:690
SJT: Band 2
Average:735
Total:2940
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* (Chen,Bio,EngLit,Math)
UCAS Tariff: 224 (likely)
Work Experience: UHS, BSMS, AHS virtual work experience

Do I stand a decent chance getting in to Leicester, Birmingham, Kings, Barts or Newcastle? Or are there any other safer options?

International students are often scored differently, unfortunately, and I wouldn't want to give you incorrect advice. Looking at websites and FOIs should help, and maybe @qwert7890 or @Lovebear2951 who are international have some thoughts?
Hi’i have quite a low UCAT (2380) and a band 2.
My predicted grades are Psychology-A* Chemistry-A and Biology-A
My GCSES I got seven 8/9s and one 7. (My ninth subject was a BTEC. Wondering which unis I should apply to? I was thinking of Keele, Liverpool and Aston but was wondering if anyone has any others recommendations.
Are you a school leaver?
It would be very much on the cusp of what we think the cutoff would be, so risky but not a totally impossible choice! Would depend on how much you like Bham and how safe your other choices are.

I’m a reapplicant and my other choices (at least for now) are Manchester Liverpool and Leicester.

UCAT 2790 B1
A levels: A*AA (in Maths Bio Chem)
Gcses: (4) 8s (3) 7s (2) 6s (1) 4
8 in Maths and Eng Lit
7 in Chem and Eng Lang
6 in Bio
Hello Not sure where to apply - I don't mind where I go, I just want to apply to the unis that I have the best shot of getting an interview at.

GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Mathematics - 9
Further Mathematics - 9
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Drama - 9
Geography - 9
Economics - 7

A levels, subjects and predictions
As of now I believe they are A*AA but they haven't been finalised.

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
UCAT - 2760
VR - 550
DM - 740
QR - 700
AR - 770

SJT band
Band 1

Brief mention of work experience
Volunteering in charity shop
Virtual ward round - included patient interaction
Several other online courses
Potentially volunteering in a hospice soon

Any contextual or WP flags
No

The research you have done and any preferences

I have no preference - I'd just like to know where I have the best shot - then I can start to decide which I like best.
Original post by li2
hey thank u so much for your reply!! im currently getting around 4 and 4.4 in my bmat sections i have a month to improve my score do you think its possible to ? and i think i might i apply for uea (i have the gcse requirements) thanks, and also does keele exclusively only want applicants in the 3rd decile ? because i think im 2nd decile based off interim. and then maybe 2 other bmat unis? would that be even more risky ? i do have contextual flags.

A month is a good amount of time to try and improve your score, and you can also research the BMAT unis to see where could be a good choice if that's what you get on the day. Have a look at the BMAT thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864748

Keele will reject applicants below the 3rd decile unfortunately but the interim deciles are usually higher than the final deciles so I suspect you would end up in the 3rd decile.

Obviously 2 BMAT unis is 'risky' but it's not impossible, which applying to a UCAT uni you know will reject you would be. I'd do your research and see where you might interview with the BMAT scores you're currently getting.

I'm not an expert on contextual but it can be a bit of a game-changer so I'd have a look and see if it seems to change anything or mean any guaranteed interviews (Exeter for example has very generous WP scoring, and Bham)
Original post by advait3107
I’m a reapplicant and my other choices (at least for now) are Manchester Liverpool and Leicester.

UCAT 2790 B1
A levels: A*AA (in Maths Bio Chem)
Gcses: (4) 8s (3) 7s (2) 6s (1) 4
8 in Maths and Eng Lit
7 in Chem and Eng Lang
6 in Bio

You would probably have safer choices than Bham, but Liverpool and Leicester should be very safe and Manchester quite safe, so if you wanted to risk it and Bham is your top favourite uni, you could try.
Original post by Anonymous9608
Hi’i have quite a low UCAT (2380) and a band 2.
My predicted grades are Psychology-A* Chemistry-A and Biology-A
My GCSES I got seven 8/9s and one 7. (My ninth subject was a BTEC. Wondering which unis I should apply to? I was thinking of Keele, Liverpool and Aston but was wondering if anyone has any others recommendations.

Would need your full stats including breakdown of GCSE grades and UCAT to comment :smile:
Your UCAT is likely to be too low for Liverpool, though, unfortunately. If your 7 is not in Eng Lang, Maths, or science then you score 29.5/36 for Aston and last years' cutoff seemed to be around 29, so a bit risky but not impossible.

Keele will depend on material for the R+R form and will need your UCAT to be 3rd decile or above.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending