The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, University of Worcester, Three Counties Medical School here. We are a graduate entry, GMC approved Medical School (101), new for 2022 entry with up to 100 places for international students only. Applications open!
Original post by becausethenight
Manchester's holistic system is literally a lottery where someone just reads your application and decides, so depends how much you like Manchester and want to risk it. I would see it as an almost guaranteed rejection and see what happens.

HYMS does have a scoring system but they are very unwilling to disclose it in detail (look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7089691). They score SJT and WP flags heavily so may not be the best choice.

Liverpool and Plymouth would hopefully be OK - we don't know how much cutoffs may go up by but you only have so many places you can apply.

ARU should be OK. UEA seemed to have a mid 2600s cutoff for non-contetxual last year.

You score 30 points for Aston and cutoff last year seemed to be around 29 - have a read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7080374&page=15

Could also look at KMMS if GCSEs likely to contextualise well, Keele and Sunderland if lots of material for the Roles and Responsibilities form. Could also look at Edge Hill.

Score yourself for Birmingham on their website looking for 7.5+, Leicester looking for 58+, QUB looking for 31+, Lincoln looking for 118+ to be safe.

thanks so much for the help, I think imma go with Liverpool Plymouth Manchester, and for my 4th choice which out of ARU, UEA and Aston do I have most chance with (I live in Manchester not the east so am disadvantaged for ARU and UEA)? my score for Birmingham, Leicester,QUB and Lincoln is too low and I don't think my roles and responsibilities form will be competattive thanks for suggestions tho and what do u mean by "KMMS if likely to contexualise well"?
Ok thank you! I've decided to go with UEA :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Either would be finr
UEA use SJT at intervew (B2 unlikely to be a dealbreaker) and UCAT for 50% of post interview score (your score would be above average for them, so help you out post interview)
Hello, I'd appreciate any form of reply to this post :smile:

I'm an international applicant and I think I've finalised my three unis (KCL, Newcastle and Sheffield) and I'm now trying to decide on my fourth and fifth (non-medical) option. I'm debating between Leicester and SGUL, I want to choose the 'safer' option (though I understand that every medical school is extremely difficult to get into). I read that Leicester is giving interviews for achieved A-level students (if they meet the threshold) and I was worried that they would take priority before people with predicted grades could have a shot at an interview. I score 62.5 (out of 64) on their point system but was worried whether people with achieved A-levels would be considered separately from those with predicted A-levels only - does anyone know whether Leicester fills up their interview spots with achieved A-level applicants first before ranking the rest of the applicants?

I haven't heard much about SGUL, I'd appreciate any information to note about SGUL and admissions for international students.

Here are my stats in this spoiler.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 804
Original post by nigachoro
Hi TCL, awesome table you've got there!! It's very helpful thank you.

Just to query, is sunderland for local applicants as well as UCLAN or is it just UCLAN? Can't tell if the box extends to both or if they are seperate but just the same colour?

Thanks

Sorry, no Sunderland is the same as Keele. Open to all. WIll make clearer in my table, thanks.
Original post by Hel17QR
@GANFYD @Coolkingz and all the other other wonderful TSR contributors
Working through the uni medicine pages and could really do with some advice please.

Have the following stats:
GCSEs
PE, Geography - 9
Biology, physics, Maths, Eng Lang, Art - 8
Chemistry - 7
Eng Lit, German - 6

Predicted A levels: Biology (A*), Geography (A*), Chemistry (A)

UCAT 2680 (VR 530, D 710, Q 690, A 750) SJt 2
No contextual flags, volunteering in hospital and online WE

Would have loved Sheffield but UCAT too low. Currently thinking Liverpool (but worried have changed criteria), Manchester, Portsmouth and possibly UEA or Southampton. Any thoughts how risky these are/ suggestions of others to consider. Any help would be appreciated.

Reposting this but looking through all the great advice in this forum think Manchester might be too risky and possibly UEA and Southampton. Had thought about Exeter too but discounted this as don’t have 3A*s predicted. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 806
Hello- I am currently a gap year student and I am so confused as to where I should apply.
GCSEs - 999888877
My A levels results (bio,chem,physics and maths) are AAAB respectively

My UCAT score is below average of 2480 and band 3 SJT - gutted as the lowest I had ever got on a mock before was 2800 but we move on :frown:

Experience + Volunteering :
In a hospital
Abroad as well
Online work experience also completed
Volunteering long term at BHF for over a year
Also volunteered with children who have disabilities
In my gap year I'm working within an MDT at a hospital as a ward clerk
Also wrote medical articles for a blog
I have a lot of general experience with medicine- such as attending medical lectures and being leader of medicine societies at school, prefect team etc..

- All of this means my personal statement is very strong
- I'm not really looking to do the BMAT
- Right now, after doing some research I'm thinking about Keele, Plymouth, perhaps Kent + Medway ? I've looked into UEA and such but im just really confused.
- I also filled out the Birmingham Uni offer calculator and it says that I "may be eligible for an interview via our contextual offer". I think this is because the school I did my GCSEs at is a state school and they are ranked "inadequate" on ofsted.- The school where I did my A -levels is Grammar though. Not sure if applying by the results of the offer calculator is too risky?

Any advice would be very much appreciated !!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by applecyder
Hello, I'd appreciate any form of reply to this post :smile:

I'm an international applicant and I think I've finalised my three unis (KCL, Newcastle and Sheffield) and I'm now trying to decide on my fourth and fifth (non-medical) option. I'm debating between Leicester and SGUL, I want to choose the 'safer' option (though I understand that every medical school is extremely difficult to get into). I read that Leicester is giving interviews for achieved A-level students (if they meet the threshold) and I was worried that they would take priority before people with predicted grades could have a shot at an interview. I score 62.5 (out of 64) on their point system but was worried whether people with achieved A-levels would be considered separately from those with predicted A-levels only - does anyone know whether Leicester fills up their interview spots with achieved A-level applicants first before ranking the rest of the applicants?

I haven't heard much about SGUL, I'd appreciate any information to note about SGUL and admissions for international students.

Here are my stats in this spoiler.

Spoiler

Hi @applecyder - I wish you all the best for your first choices and with those numbers you should really do well! Can I offer a left-field suggestion in answer to your query about 5th choice? University of Worcester, Three Counties Medical School here. We are a graduate entry, GMC approved Medical School (101), new for 2022 entry with up to 100 places for international students only. We accept graduates with a first degree in any subject - so you might consider a 5th choice in a humanities subject that you have always wanted to read more about, and then apply to us in 3 years! Just a thought. Applications open!
Reply 808
Where should I apply?
I’d like to apply to at least 2, maybe 3 Scottish unis

UCAT 2660
VR 630
DM 690
QR 670
AR 670
SJT 2
2:1 Open University Natural Sciences
School grades what would have allowed me to apply to medicine as a school leaver
Relevant work experience
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by becausethenight
I agree for Cardiff, but if you do not tell me you have achieved your A levels, how can I know :tongue:

Yes sorry about that!!
Hi! @becausethenight @GANFYD
I'm in Year 13 home student and super confused as to where to apply to (A100) because admission sections on websites and people's past experiences don't seem to align all that much lol. Any help and advice is more than appreciated!!

GCSEs
Grade 9 - Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Arabic, Business
Grade 8 - Maths, RS, English Literature, French, Geography, Further Maths
Grade 7 - English Language

A-Levels
Biology, Chemistry and Maths
Predicted: A*A*A*

Work Experience & Volunteering & Other
4 Virtual work experience courses (varied in healthcare levels)
Long-term volunteering in a special needs school
Head Student
Couple of Medical conferences
Read a few books
Won competitions
Tutored children to read Arabic

UCAT
VR - 630
DM - 590 (was my best scoring section so I don't know what happened there!!)
QR - 730
AR - 770
SJT - Band 2

Total - 2720, B2
Avg - 680, B2

Contextual/WP
I don't qualify for it

Thinking of...
Now this is where I need help and guidance lmao. I was originally thinking 4 of these unis: Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester. But I don't know which to choose and if this is even strategic for my stats.
Please also advise me other schools if you can.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hiiiii could someone pls give me some advice on what unis to apply to.

Am a gap year student and am resitting chem next month (Autumn exam), I originally got a C lol oops and I'm planning on resitting psych next summer (B). I got an A in bio so i'm not resitting that.

GCSEs:
A*-English Language
8,8,8-RS,Maths and Geo
777777-English Lit, Physics, Bio, Chem, French and Spanish
C- Urdu (we don't talk about this lol)

UCAT: overall 2850, Band 2
VR-630
DM-730
QR-780
AR-710

In person 2 weeks hospital work experience, observe a GP, volunteered at charity shop, food bank and old peoples home. Am planning on doing some more work experience this year and have already arranged some with Springpod and i'll also try and get a job in a medically related field if there are any available.

I don't qualify for any contextual offers

I'm stuck between Plymouth, Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol and Southampton. Ik they all use UCAT for their selection process which is why they're the ones I was looking at the most.

Literally any help would be appreciated soooo much and hope you have a great day!! Also thank you soooo much to all the volunteers on this page like you are literally changing lives rn!!
Reply 812
Original post by kay mohanna
Hi @applecyder - I wish you all the best for your first choices and with those numbers you should really do well! Can I offer a left-field suggestion in answer to your query about 5th choice? University of Worcester, Three Counties Medical School here. We are a graduate entry, GMC approved Medical School (101), new for 2022 entry with up to 100 places for international students only. We accept graduates with a first degree in any subject - so you might consider a 5th choice in a humanities subject that you have always wanted to read more about, and then apply to us in 3 years! Just a thought. Applications open!

Worcester med school is not GMC approved, as they have had no grads to be quality assured? I think you mean they are approved to accept applicants?

And please don't advise people to do a random degree for the purposes of applying to medicine, as this is a much more competitive route, that takes longer, costs more and generally requires far higher stats to be successful
Sorry, but can I please ask a follow-up question since the last posting?

My predicted grades have now changed to A*A*A* and I wanted to ask if this opened any more options for me such as QMUL?

UCAT and breakdown:
VR: 600
QR: 690
AR: 870
DM: 680
Overall score: 2840
SJT: Band 1

Thank you in advance for your insight. Really appreciated.

@Coolkingz My GCSE's are nine 9s and one 8. Sorry I could not reply to your post as thread 3 got closed. Really would appreciate your input. Thank you.
Hey guys!
Here are my stats:
GCSE's:
Maths: 6
English Lit: 8
English Lang: 8
Biology: A*
Physics: A
Chemistry: A
History: 6
Design Technology: 8
Buisness Studies: 8

A Levels:
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Psychology: A
EPQ: A

UCAT:
VR: 580
DM: 630
QR: 650
AR: 620
Total: 2490
SJT: Band 2

I've done a week of work experience at a hospital, a week of volunteering at a summer school for children aged 10-11

I don't have any particular preferences, but i'd prefer unis that are located in lively(?) citys, and not quiet places like plymouth.

Gracias!!
Original post by GANFYD
Worcester med school is not GMC approved, as they have had no grads to be quality assured? I think you mean they are approved to accept applicants?

And please don't advise people to do a random degree for the purposes of applying to medicine, as this is a much more competitive route, that takes longer, costs more and generally requires far higher stats to be successful

Indeed, you are right, the School has passed the quality assurance steps to be approved by the GMC for applicants. Just like with the other new schools - the quality assurance process is a step-wise process.
My apologies if the suggestion for a 5th choice sounds random. TCMS can only accept graduates so, for some, it may be an option
Reply 816
Original post by Medic daughters
Hi @GANFYD

My daughter is taking a gap year and applying with:

Achieved A-levels

Chem A*
Maths A*
Biology A*
Further maths A

GCSEs:

Maths 9
Chemistry 9
Biology 9
Physics 9
English Lit 9
Geog 9
French 9
Music 9
German 8
English Language 7
Astronomy A

UCAT score: 2890 + SJ Band 2

VR 570
DM 690
QR 760
AR 870

Lots of relevant work experience and volunteering in hospitals over the past three years and currently employed this year as a playworker at a primary school and undertaking additional work as an administration assistant within a legal setting.

She doesn't want to take any unnecessary risks and so would prefer to try and obtain 4 interviews if possible as she isn't planning on another gap year. Do you think St Andrews (with no preference selection), Exeter (she maybe scores 100 but not clear with the decile situation-is it their own deciles based on their applicants or UCATs own deciles and is the 9th Exeter decile the 10th UCAT one?), Liverpool, QMUL (she has a tariff score of 307), Bristol, Plymouth, Southampton, Glasgow and Leicester (guaranteed interview I believe?) are all wise choices? Which would you suggest are the safest? I am unsure whether Angela Ruskin and UEA are good options? She doesn't want to apply for Aston as it is too local to home. Have we missed any other obvious ones? Also not wanting her Band 2 to work against her too much in the post interview scoring etc so we are trying to take that into account too.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts if you can spare yet more of your time. Thanks :smile:

St Andrews (with no preference selection) - should be OK, but they use SJT at interivew (a virtual MMI station, I believe). B2 would not be a dealbreaker and they have a good interview to offer ratio
Exeter - they have got deciles completely messed up. I believe they are using official ones, and I think they have assuemed each number given on the official chart is the bottom of the score needed, not the top, so are giving 0 to 1st and 2nd decile (as a few others do). But I would ring them and confirm. She is likely to be top decile, whatever.
Liverpool - should be fine
QMUL - they seemd to get in a pickle last year, and over-offered by a lot. I would be pretty sure her stats are safe, but unless she is very keen, I would steer clear, as not sure how they will react to the mess they were in last year
Bristol, Plymouth, Southampton, Glasgow - should all be fine
Leicester - have a read of the Leicester thread for my concerns regarding their "guaranteed" interview
ARU and UEA are both fine, and although UEA use SJT at interview, they also use UCAT as 50% of post interview scoring, so she would have a bit of a headstart here

If she didn't apply last year, QUB would give her full academic marks and she is pretty much guaranteed an interview (if she did apply, but not to them, they will not consider her)
@becausethenight I would love some advice on my final uni decisions.

GCSE’s : 999998776
A Levels (achieved) 4A*’s
UCAT- 2870 B3
I’ve got work experience in hospitals as well as lots of volunteering and on a gap year

I’m currently thinking of Newcastle Nottingham Liverpool and Leicester. I’m aware that Notts would usually be a bad idea however I can get an automatic interview through being an ‘elite athlete’. I’m wondering if these are sensible options or whether I should change out one of them for a safer uni like Plymouth? Thank you for any advice :smile:
Reply 818
Original post by theoldman123
@GANFYD (and others), thanks for the fantastic advice you dish out on these pages, I am a parent that has been reading the forum and other related discussions for some time, first time poster, seeking advice, on behalf of son. He is in Gap year, Scottish Student, applied last year unsuccessfully, retaken UCAT

NATIONAL 5's 9 A's
Highers 5 A's including Chemistry and Biology
Advanced Highers 3 A's including Chemistry and Biology
UCAT 2740 B3
VR 590
DM790
QR 700
AR 660
Thinking of Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow. First of all, am I correct in my thinking that none of these universities take into account SJT other than rejecting candidates with Band 4. Are these 3 universities 'safe' choices for interview with 2740 UCAT for Scottish student. Vary of Edinburgh as I believe they score SJT post interview to rank candidates for offer.
Also what universities would you suggest in England, for 4th choice, with above grades and UCAT where band 3 would not be detrimental. Thinking of SGUL, maybe Liverpool. Thanks

Yes, Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow do not look at SJT (unless B4 or possibly as a tiebreaker). He should be OK for any of those.
Edinbirgh use it before interview (with academics and UCAT) and carry this forward for 50% of post interview score. His UCAT may be slightly low for them, so with a B3, may be risky
St Andrews use UCAT as a virtual MMI station, so a B3 will lose a few points, but probably not a dealbreaker

Liverpool and SGUL should be OK, as likely are Southampton, Edge Hill, ARU, Aston, Plymouth
Check if Leicester will guarantee him an interview.
Reply 819
Original post by S.j.
If you have achieved a levels and apply to Aston does that mean that you would get full academic points?

No, they simply add points for achieved A levels to GCSEs

Latest

Trending

Trending