*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 4 of 4]

Watch
This discussion is closed.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by umakasi2002)
@GANFYD,your Previous posts were very helpful in shortlisting the colleges to apply for Medicine.
It would be great if you could please review my choices to move forward with clarity in applying for University places.
Thank you in advance

Acheived GCSE grades:
English Language: 8
English Literature: 8
Maths: 8
History: 7
Biology: 8
Geography:8
Physics:7
Chemistry:7
Religious Studies:7
Spanish : 4

Predicted A Level grades : AAA

Ucat Score :2800

I have shortlisted the following colleges to apply.
1.Aston
2.KMMS (I have no contextual points,so just not sure if i should apply)
3.St Georges University
4.UAE
5.Leicester (Points Acheived =57)
6.Sheffield

Is there any other colleges worth considering with my Academic Statistics?
You can look at the table at the bottom of the first post in this thread for options

KMMS is impossible to predict, but you really need to have performed better than the reast of your school year for it to be a viable option
Leicester is likely to be subject to grade inflation from CAGs, whihc may push their cut off up
GANFYD
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by sandhuaikam)
applying to ARU, Liverpool, Hull York, Aston
gcse: 999988877A
achieved a-levels: A*AAA
ucat: 2860 B1
I am considered as contextual with living in Polar 2 area and parents don't have higher education

does anyone see any issues here, I think all of my options are very safe?
They should hopefully be OK, you have excellent stats, well done
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by rewtewrg)
hello
a levels: A*A*A* achieved
gcses: 999(triple science) 67(language,lit) 88(re/business) A*A*(further mathematics and arabic)
ucat: 2500 b2

my current choices are aston, aru, plymouth and exeter

ucat deciles came out and 2500 is 5th decile and so loecetser guarantees me an interview. which uni should i swap leicester for?
2500 is not in the top 5 deciles, I'm afraid, they are the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th deciles and 2500 is the very top of the 5th decile
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by Rafay._)
Hi, I asked a few days ago about Manchester and GANFYD said it was a bit risky. But now that the official ucat deciles have came out, I'm in the 77% percentile, would you say my chance has increased. And the spreadsheet sent here about predicted scores - would you say it would be slightly different? In summary, do you think Manchester chance has increased for me? Also with the small number of band 1s is nottigham an option or no? Finally, is Liverpool the safest out of these three?

UCAT - 2700 and Band 2
Vr - 600
Dm - 620
Qr - 800
Ar - 680

GCSEs:
Maths - 9
Physics - 9
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Computer science - 8
Geography - 8
English Language - 7
English literature - 7
French - 7

A level predictions, A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology and maths)

A lot of work experience
No WP or Contextual flags

Thank you ☺️
Historically, Manchester has had a UCAT cut off around that of Sheffield, which was 2740 last year
Imake your Nottingham score 107. I think this will be too low
Liverpool is the safest of those 3
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by Purple43Monkey)
Hi everyone!

GCSEs: 9s in maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography
8s in German, English Lang, English lit
I know I have fewer gcses (8) but this is because I was ill and my school are attaching a note explaining this to my application.

A level predictions:
A* Chemistry
A* physics
A* maths
A biology

UCAT scores:
Total = 3170 (99th percentile for 2021)
VR = 790
DM = 770
QR = 870
AR = 740
Band 1

No contextual

I’d really appreciate some help in choosing where to go. I think I’ll probably apply to Southampton, Nottingham and Sheffield as I visited all these and really liked them.
I get quite anxious in super busy places (I live in London and the tubes are awful ) so probably will avoid London (although if I was to go to London I would consider kings). At the same time, I’m aware that I’ll be living in wherever I go for 5/6 years so I don’t want to get bored. Student support is really important to me and I’d like to go to a friendly place, preferably not too big.
I’ve been thinking of Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle etc. for my last choice but I’m really not sure which to apply for as I haven’t been able to see them, and don’t know how certain I’d be to get an interview. I’d also be happy to consider any other options you suggest!

Thank you all so much!
Have a look at the table at the bottom of the first post in this thread for options
Yusra79
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi GANFYD, do you think a score of 2670 is risky for St Georges. Initially I was put off applying but with the final scores being released I think it is in my reach. I would love to hear your opinion on this. Many thanks
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by ShadowHokage)
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be reposting my stats. Since the final deciles came out and I was wondering if applying to Kings College London would be safe or not.

GCSEs: 4 x 9, 5 x 8, 1x 7 (French)

A-Levels: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Psychology). Plus A* in EPQ. (196 Tariff Points)

UCAT: 2770 (84th Percentile) & my prized Band 1!

Originally my options were: Imperial, UCL, Barts & St George. But would Kings be safe for me to apply to? I think I might swap it for St George, or UCL.

becausethenight A_J_B GANFYD [Sorry for tagging you, I know you guys are super busy! ]
You would sit right on the borderline from last year, I think
have a look at stats of those who applied
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1500254985
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by MasochistMatthew)
GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown:
All 9s in bio, chem, physics, maths, English lit, English language, history, classical civ, Latin and music

A levels, subjects and predictions
History A*
Maths A*
Chem A
Bio B

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
VR: 590
DM:b 750
QR: 730
AR: 800
Total: 2870

SJT band: 2

Brief mention of work experience:
Virtual work experience - BSMS + ObserveGP
Med soc at school
2 online courses on cancer medicine and Antimicrobial resistance
Independent research on neurological disorders

Any contextual or WP flags: none

The research you have done and any preferences: i am hoping to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield, Leicester and UEA and wanting to go to each one of them in that order, I was wondering if my UCAT and well everything let’s me to go to each one, cause I am unsure if I would be able to get into Newcastle, and please let me know if there are any other unis that I should look at with my grades and UCAT.

Thank you so much for your time!
Your choices should be fine.
Have a look at the table at the bottom of the first post in this thread for other options
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by ohkhay)
Heyy I have an idea of what unis to apply to but wanted your opinion to see if they are okay

GCSEs
-8 x 9's
-5 x 8's

IB (achieved grades)
40 points
776 for my bio, geo and chem HL

UCAS Tariff

UCAT
2710 (78th Percentile)
-VR 630
-DM 660
-QR 690
-AR 730
-Band 2

My options are Barts, Leicester, Dundee and UEA but I'm not sure if it's safe for me.

Thanks

GANFYD becausethenight
Dundee might be your only risky one, as they only have 15 RUK places, so often need high UCAT scores
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 month ago
Sophi2002
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ahh I have finally submitted my application and finalised my choices so I can stop lurking on this thread! Thank you so much to the amazing helpers, I wish I found TSR earlier to make the UCAS process less daunting : )))
imrangeez
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

GCSEs:
Maths-9
English Literature-8
English Language-8
French-9
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
Electronics-9
Computer Science-9
RS-9

A level predictions:
Maths-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*

Ucat score-2820 B2
VR-680
DM-740
VR-780
AR-620

Work Experience/volunteering:
1 week at a GP clinic
1 week at a breast cancer surgery
1 week at an A&E ward and critical care
4 months volunteering in a hospital ward
4 months volunteering in a vaccination clinic

Non-contextual

Im currently looking at Kings, Leicester, SGUL and Sheffield, would this be too risky?

Thanks
Last edited by imrangeez; 1 month ago
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by Gill2021)
Hi everyone. Sorry for what might be a dumb question (as a total noob at all this!), but.... now that the final deciles are out, do they actually make much difference to any of the "which med school?" conclusions we were coming to before? I mean, I now know my 2740 is officially 81st centile, but since the biggest issue appears to be more about who might be "ahead" of me in the scoring ranks at any university I apply to, does the centile really help in any way?
On a related note, I might be wrong but I have noticed quite a few people on here with very high scores apparently targeting the universities in the "third tier" (in UCAT score terms), as identified recently by GANFYD (Liverpool, UEA, ARU, Edge Hill, Plymouth). So I wonder whether they and the "tier" above might be very over-subscribed this year, and whether the gambler in me might be tempted to have a punt at somewhere like Newcastle in the hope that the high scorers have moved elsewhere. A gamble too far...??!
The deciles are largely irrelevant when more people have sat the UCAT, as more are in each decile, so even if your score is up a percentile or so from last year, you are still no higher up in terms of number of people. And everyone is scrambling for the same finite number of places!

Yes, as I have said many time, people are going to play it as safe as they can this year, and apply to places where their high UCAT really counts, and lots will be put off applying for the typical UCAT Big Boys and Girls. But are you prepared to risk losing a place to gamble on that???? As we keep saying, we all have personal acceptable levels of risk, so depends how risk averse you are (I am very!)
helpmeplslol123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi GANFYD

A-Level Predictions:
A*A*A*

GCSEs:
7 - English Language
8 - Maths, English Literature, French, Geography, RS and Further Maths
9 - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Arabic, Business

UCAT:
2720, B2

Contextual Flags:
My school is flagged as a contextual school
Polar4 is quintile 3

Thinking of: Birmingham and Manchester. What do you think of these? Could you suggest me other schools??

Thank you for your incredible help!!
Mnwaiwu1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs:

Biology = 7
Chemistry = 7
Physics = 7
Mathematics = 7
English = 7
English Literature = 7
Religious Studies = 9
Design & Technology = 8
Computing = 8
History = 7

A Level Predicteds:

Biology = A*
Chemistry = A*
Religious Studies = A*

UCAT Breakdown:

VR: 600
DM: 680
AR: 770

Band 2

Contextual/WP:

I live in a Quantile 3 area (don't know if this helps)

Work Experience:

I have done work experience in a GP surgery that does minor procedures, witnessed telephone consultations, bloods being taken and gone on home visits, witnessed a circumcision.

I wish to apply to Manchester, Sheffield, Bart's, Liverpool

Thank you!
Mnwaiwu1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs:

Biology = 7
Chemistry = 7
Physics = 7
Mathematics = 7
English = 7
English Literature = 7
Religious Studies = 9
Design & Technology = 8
Computing = 8
History = 7

A Level Predicteds:

Biology = A*
Chemistry = A*
Religious Studies = A*

UCAT Breakdown:

VR: 600
DM: 680
AR: 770

Band 2

Contextual/WP:

I live in a Quantile 3 area (don't know if this helps)

Work Experience:

I have done work experience in a GP surgery that does minor procedures, witnessed telephone consultations, bloods being taken and gone on home visits, witnessed a circumcision.

I wish to apply to Manchester, Sheffield, Bart's, Liverpool

Thank you!
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by Collegium)
I appreciate the advice gleaned through the forum and big thanks to all volunteer experts and this spreadsheet is super work put together but I am struggling to understand why UCAT < 2700 is risky for Manchester? That seems brutal with the final deciles now out.
Could any of the experts provide some comment. I know I am looking for some reassurance for my own logic which might not be very logical 😊
In 2020, Manchester UCAT standard cutoff was 2640
2640 was 70th percentile in 2020
There were (30% * 34,153) = 10,246 applicants above the cutoff
In 2021, my UCAT 2690 is 76th percentile
There are (24% * 37,230) = 8,935 applicants above 2690
Can I say that 2021 Manchester cutoff should be around 2660 which is 73rd percentile, and there are (27% * 37,230) = 10,052 applicants above 2660 (similar number to 2020)
Might be clutching at straws but would be great to get some ideas. Thanks 😊
Manchester had 325 more Home applicants last year than the year before. They have removed their top third UCAT interview pledge, so we can assume this means they wish to put cut offs up. Most other UCAT unis went up by 80-150 points last year (Sheffield to Glasgow), despite deciles not suggesting that much change.
There is GCSE grade inflation, meaning more will make Manchester's high 7 x 7 GCSE requirement
There are possibly places lost for all those deferrals from last year and maybe being saved for those "resitting" TAGs this autumn/next summer.
Med schools got in a bit mess with over-offering, so may well cut interview numbers to avoid being in the same situation again.
It has been declared that A level exams, if they go ahead, will continue grade inflation, although not at the level of last year - again, med schools likely to make fewer offers as more people than usual will make their grades, so may well interview fewer people to keep interview to offer ratios similar.
If you scored 2750-2850 this year, would you risk an application to Sheffield, Bristol, Newcastle, or Glasgow? Or would you look to Manchester, Southampton, SGUL, Liverpool instead?

On the other hand, they may go for the Liverpool approach, interview squillions and make a small percentage of them offers.
Plus there are quite a few less B1 & B2s around this year - will that mean Manchester relax their SJT requirements, or will it pull UCAT cut offs down?

Who knows the answer to all of this, but these are some of the things that have to be taken into account when thinking about cut offs.
Manchester have had a UCAT cut off 30-50 points lower than Sheffield, over recent years. Last year it was 100 points, and I think artificially held down by their top third UCAT pledge - which they have now removed. Sheffield cut off was 2740 last year - and that would suggest Manchester's would naturally be 2690-2710. And both may go up due to people put off applying to the typical UCAT Big Boys and Girls.

So cut off may well be 2670. But I would want a fair bit more than that, personally, to consider it a safe choice. But then, I am VERY risk averse and would look at all the safer options where I could be pretty sure of an interview. So depends on your aversion to risk and how much you like Manchester
chewyzebra123
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Just deciding between KCL and Notts, Notts I score 121 and KCL i have 2760(690)(83rd percentile) and band 2, and ten 9s and one 8 at GCSE. I know both of these are a bit risky but my other three choices are fairly safe and I like both of these unis a lot. Just wondering which one out of KCL or Notts would be safer? I may scrape the KCL cutoff? or for Notts since not many people got band 1 hopefully my score of 121 might make it (since Nottingham place a lot of weighting on sjt). Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by KianE03)
Are you sure the estimated safety thresholds spreadsheet in the first post are correct? With 2760 UCAT would I be approx. equally safe applying to Sheffield and Southampton since they have the same safety thresholds?
Nobody is sure they are correct, it is an estimate based on patterns. Sheffield and Southampton are likely to attract the same cohort of applicants - those with a high UCAT, but not quite good enough to risk Bristol, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Kings etc. Sheffield is usually a fair bit higher than Southampton, but it became closer last year, and I susepct will stay that way, given the tightening of options for almost everyone.
I think you will be safer at Southampton than Sheffield, based on historical patterns
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by binti_Lamees)
GANFYD becausethenight A_J_B
Sorry to post my stats again but considering the final deciles are out and I fall into the seventh decile when I originally thought I was in the Sixth. I would be hugely grateful if someone could give me an updated list of what unis to look into applying to this year with these scores:
UCAT 2660 B2
GCSES 7A* 2A
Predicted A levels
A* English lit
A Chemistry
A Biology
(originally ruled out manchester, exeter etc ones around that level, can I consider some of them now rather than just the ones around UEA and QUB level?)
[my specific GCSES are :
Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Bio,Chem,Spanish, Geography, Classical Civ ALL A*
Maths, Physics both A]
Have a look at the table at the bottom of the first post in this thread for options
GANFYD
Rep:
(Original post by 197567)
Would anyone be able to help advise me on my options? I am in NI.

GCSEs

Maths A
English A
English lit A
Further maths A
Biology A
Physics A
Geography A
Music A
Chemistry B
Spanish B
Short RE B

Predicted A-levels
Biology A
Maths A
Chemistry A

AS Level Music B (achieved)

UCAT

VR 550
DM 660
QR 660
AR 580
SJ Band 2
Total 2450

Are these the best options (if at all?)
UEA
ARU
Plymouth
Liverpool
Aston

Might also add QUB on the basis of trying again next year?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads