I’m turning 17 soon and my parents won’t let me get a phone

Watch
aishalarm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(My parents are Asian and moved to Australia a year before I was born) According to them, I have no need for a phone. The only places I’m allowed to go is school and home. If I ever want to go to a friend’s house, my mum has to come with me. Since I’m never alone, I apparently don’t need a phone. At school it’s so embarrassing to have to keep it a secret that I’m the only one who doesn’t have a phone. I always get good marks and am usually in the top 3 of my class but my parents are so used to it that I feel like my teachers are more proud of me for doing well than them. Until 3 years ago I only had a laptop. In 2019, my parents got me an iPad. Yayyy how amazing. Literally 2 years olds have iPads nowadays… But still I’m happy that at least I’ve got an iPad I guess? My parents won’t let me get tiktok that everyone in my class is usually talking about because they think I might get obsessed or some random stuff they’ve read online about it. I’m only allowed Instagram to talk to my friends and it’s on my mum’s phone which she lets me use for 1 hour on weekends and half an hour on weekdays. I searched it up and the average screen time for people my age is about 10 hours while mine (including studying) is around 2 to 3 hours (during online school because of lockdown it’s more). Because of all this, my parents think I don’t need a phone. I saved up money they give me on my birthday or special holidays and I have enough for a cheap smartphone at least but they won’t let me buy a phone even if I pay for it. I don’t know what to do because I feel like in about a year I’ll be 18 and still won’t have a phone. 😭
Abilash K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aishalarm)
(My parents are Asian and moved to Australia a year before I was born) According to them, I have no need for a phone. The only places I’m allowed to go is school and home. If I ever want to go to a friend’s house, my mum has to come with me. Since I’m never alone, I apparently don’t need a phone. At school it’s so embarrassing to have to keep it a secret that I’m the only one who doesn’t have a phone. I always get good marks and am usually in the top 3 of my class but my parents are so used to it that I feel like my teachers are more proud of me for doing well than them. Until 3 years ago I only had a laptop. In 2019, my parents got me an iPad. Yayyy how amazing. Literally 2 years olds have iPads nowadays… But still I’m happy that at least I’ve got an iPad I guess? My parents won’t let me get tiktok that everyone in my class is usually talking about because they think I might get obsessed or some random stuff they’ve read online about it. I’m only allowed Instagram to talk to my friends and it’s on my mum’s phone which she lets me use for 1 hour on weekends and half an hour on weekdays. I searched it up and the average screen time for people my age is about 10 hours while mine (including studying) is around 2 to 3 hours (during online school because of lockdown it’s more). Because of all this, my parents think I don’t need a phone. I saved up money they give me on my birthday or special holidays and I have enough for a cheap smartphone at least but they won’t let me buy a phone even if I pay for it. I don’t know what to do because I feel like in about a year I’ll be 18 and still won’t have a phone. 😭
Many Asian kids can relate to this. But your parents do seem a bit more overprotective than usual. I suggest you try reasoning with them and come to an agreement; something like you being allowed to buy a phone if you do even better than usual at school or something. But beyond that, there's not much you can do. I was only allowed to have a phone after I turned 16, so I know your pain. If they absolutely refuse to budge, just suck it up and wait until you're 18. At that point, they have absolutely no power to control you so you'll be as free as a bird.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (154)
54.8%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.59%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.25%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.63%

Watched Threads