Found out my sister has a Bf, I’m very overprotective

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Sister has a boyfriend and I’m an very overprotective brother Hi everyone, Need some advice as it’s been keeping me up all night. My sister (22) has a secret boyfriend, I know this because she’s on the phone late at night everyday and when I ask who is it she’s say her girl best friend however I’ve seen her missed calls and it’s a guy I’ve never seen before. I’ve also heard some of her conversations (as we have thin walls so can hear who she’s talking to) To my knowledge I think they have met only once, but I only found out after so couldn’t stop it. As of now she has no idea that I know she has a boyfriend and haven’t confronted her yet. She tried meeting him again today but made an excuse so she wouldn’t leave the house. I’m extremely overprotective as I know London boys and they ain’t good at all. Also we jokingly discussed this months before and I said I don’t want her to get a boyfriend before 24/25 as that’s usually when my cousins find a man and marry after like 5 years. We’re also a Indian family so this ain’t normal. Any advice on what to do as I don’t want this to continue and has anyone had a similar experience
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my opinion it’s her life and not your place to stop it, how would you feel if she listened in to your phone calls and objected to something to do with your social life.
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sister has a boyfriend and I’m an very overprotective brother Hi everyone, Need some advice as it’s been keeping me up all night. My sister (22) has a secret boyfriend, I know this because she’s on the phone late at night everyday and when I ask who is it she’s say her girl best friend however I’ve seen her missed calls and it’s a guy I’ve never seen before. I’ve also heard some of her conversations (as we have thin walls so can hear who she’s talking to) To my knowledge I think they have met only once, but I only found out after so couldn’t stop it. As of now she has no idea that I know she has a boyfriend and haven’t confronted her yet. She tried meeting him again today but made an excuse so she wouldn’t leave the house. I’m extremely overprotective as I know London boys and they ain’t good at all. Also we jokingly discussed this months before and I said I don’t want her to get a boyfriend before 24/25 as that’s usually when my cousins find a man and marry after like 5 years. We’re also a Indian family so this ain’t normal. Any advice on what to do as I don’t want this to continue and has anyone had a similar experience
That's a ridiculous expectation. How old is she and do you have any reason to suspect this guy isn't good to her?

If you're worried about her welfare then I suggest becoming someone she can open up to because she feels safe and cared for. If you just don't like the idea then grow up.
Last edited by ashtolga23; 3 weeks ago
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s good that you recognise that your behaviour is incorrect and you don’t want to continue behaving this way.
That’s step one to adjusting your behaviour so well done.

Step two is to respect her space and concentrate on your own life for now. When she is ready to be open she will let you know-no confrontations are necessary.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
she is 22, she can do what she wants lol. this is England so it doesn't matter that it's not a normal thing in your Indian family
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's none of your business what your adult sister does. No wonder she keeps her boyfriend secret with your attitude! For overprotective read controlling, interfering, sneaky, immature, makes sweeping generalisations...
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You've recognised that you are an overprotective brother. Now you should focus on trying to change this about yourself. A 22yo woman does not need an overprotective sibling - this is actually a negative thing!
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stop being jealous
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stay out of it x 10. You, yourself use the word overprotective several times, that means you're not helping ort acting in her best interests.
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
when you say london boys do you mean black?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Best advice I can give is for you to mind your own business. She's 22 fgs, a fully grown adult woman. She can do what she likes with her life
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You have come to exactly the right place to post your troll thread and whip up a lot of outrage.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What country is he from?
reggiebbb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well she’s 22 mate, harsh reality is she can do what she wants, when she wants. I get it, you don’t want to see her get hurt, but you could also be stopping her from being happy. And in a way, you then become the one hurting her.
username4986690
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not surprised she keeps it a secret with you creeping around, stay out of it and get a hobby because stalking your sister is not healthy.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by karl pilkington)
when you say london boys do you mean black?
No he’s Indian
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Trinculo)
You have come to exactly the right place to post your troll thread and whip up a lot of outrage.
What? Not a troll mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (181)
55.52%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (45)
13.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (36)
11.04%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.6%

Watched Threads