MuadElsmuai
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Who can help me to explain the answer to this question Calculate the percentage of amino acids that are different in adult and fetal haemoglobin?The answer in the marking scheme is 13.6 but I didn't get how they calculated it 😕
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you will need some more info, which I don't believe the examiner would expect you to google. Please upload the whole Q here - then I am sure I can help you.

I don't think anyone would expect you to know this but in foetal Hb [HbF] the amino acid at position 136 in the gamma chain is replaced by alanine or glycine [adult haemoglobin [HbA] has 2 alpha chains and 2 beta chains, WHEREAS in HbF there are 2 alpha chains and 2 gamma chains].

The alpha chain is 141 a.a.-s long, while both the beta and gamma chains are 146 a.a. long.

So, if we consider this one substitution [above] there would be a difference of 2 a.a.-s out of [141 X 2] + [146 X 2], so 2 out of 574, which is approx. 0.4 % - I have no idea how the examiner calculated the massive %age. - SORRY!

Can you check for OP please Jpw1097 - thanks!

M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (238)
57.49%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.35%

Watched Threads