The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography as a mature student

Hi,

I’m considering a career in Diagnostic Radiography after being interested in the field for some years now. I’m a mature student (late 30’s) with a stable job in computing, albeit it doesn’t provide much stimulation these days.

I’ve done a ton of research, spoke to people on the course, visited hospitals, spoke to Uni’s, but I’m still unsure if it’s going to be right for me until I actually take the plunge and get stuck in. To do this would mean giving up my career and it would be a point of no return. Funding isn’t an issue as the loan and bursary will cover expenses. Has anyone else been in a similar predicament? Is a leap of faith a good option in the current climate?

Thanks in advance!
I'm 49 and just started my 2nd year as a Therapeutic Radiography degree. If you're late 30's, you got another ~23-30 working years ahead of you, you may as well spend it doing something worthwhile.

My decision was made for me as I got made redundant, so it was a now or never moment. I don't know what you mean by "the current climate"? The NHS will always need radiographers, and especially if you're flexible you should have no problem finding a job when you graduate.
Thanks a lot for this comment I am38 Also a mum of 4 and I have got an offer to study diagnostic radiography starting September 2022 . I was so worried about age until I found this comment .
Original post by Doudou1433
Thanks a lot for this comment I am38 Also a mum of 4 and I have got an offer to study diagnostic radiography starting September 2022 . I was so worried about age until I found this comment .

Congrats!
Original post by maturestudent901
Hi,

I’m considering a career in Diagnostic Radiography after being interested in the field for some years now. I’m a mature student (late 30’s) with a stable job in computing, albeit it doesn’t provide much stimulation these days.

I’ve done a ton of research, spoke to people on the course, visited hospitals, spoke to Uni’s, but I’m still unsure if it’s going to be right for me until I actually take the plunge and get stuck in. To do this would mean giving up my career and it would be a point of no return. Funding isn’t an issue as the loan and bursary will cover expenses. Has anyone else been in a similar predicament? Is a leap of faith a good option in the current climate?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @maturestudent901! I'm not a mature student but I am in my third year studying diagnostic radiography at the University of Suffolk so I understand your predicament a little bit! In my year alone, we have about a 50/50 split of students straight from college/ Sixth Form and mature students in their 30s, 40s and 50s so you're definitely not alone and there is lots of support available!

I think that the research you have done is fantastic and hopefully you're a bit more familiar with the role of the diagnostic radiographer because of your visits etc. as I don't think I fully knew what diagnostic radiographers did before I properly started the course! It's a bit of a strange situation as like you've mentioned, you don't really know if it'll be right for you until you take the plunge and I completely agree! You've kind of just got to go with you gut at the end of the day and not regret your decision (which I know isn't the best advice, but it's true!) Just as a side note: diagnostic radiography apprenticeships are also becoming available too if this is something you might be interested in as it might be less of a big transition going from working and earning money, to studying and not earning money. With the apprenticeship you'll be able to study and earn money :smile:

Generally, if you're debating whether or not to switch careers, then you're probably already half way there. The NHS are short on radiographers so finding a job in the location you want isn't difficult, and even throughout the majority of the pandemic we were still on placement learning - so realistically, the pandemic didn't change too much of our course! I find that creating a pros and cons list for big decisions like this can help break down my options and make my decision a little bit clearer e.g. costs of the course, travelling, family, distance to uni or placement site, what shifts you work, what (course modules) you'll study learn, how many weeks you're on placement for - but maybe compare the course to your current career a bit more as well?

I hope this helps and good luck!!

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Original post by Doudou1433

Hi Doudou1433, how are you finding the course so far? Did you come from a healthcare background before starting the course? Thanks
Reply 6
hi sorry I just saw this comment, I like the course it's a bit demanding as I must do placement and coursework and exams but it's manageable. We just finished the second trimester and hopefully, I will pass all the modules.
Yeah I have a higher certificate in health and social care.

Quick Reply

Latest