The Student Room Group

Possible 2nd year placement module resit - adult nursing

Hi, I failed my first attempt on one of my assignments in my 2nd year placement module and currently waiting for results to see if I passed the resit, however, if I don’t pass I will have to resit the module.
Does anyone know if I rest the placement module, will I also have to repeat placement? Even if I have enough hours for that year?
So stressed about it, it’s just I really don’t know if I’m ready to repeat 22 weeks of placement 🙈
If anyone could help that would be great! Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Chsmily
Hi, I failed my first attempt on one of my assignments in my 2nd year placement module and currently waiting for results to see if I passed the resit, however, if I don’t pass I will have to resit the module.
Does anyone know if I rest the placement module, will I also have to repeat placement? Even if I have enough hours for that year?
So stressed about it, it’s just I really don’t know if I’m ready to repeat 22 weeks of placement 🙈

If you have to resit the whole module, not just the assignment, then presumably yes you would have to repeat the placement too. Unfortunately in the big world of being an RN you have to deal with whatevergets thrown at you, ready or not. Just because you have the hours for the year (and presumably passed everything placement wise) probably won't matter if you have to redo the whole thing - they may just give you a shorter placement, but think of this as a good thing as you get more time in practice to learn stuff. I had to repeat a placement, (fortunately) got sent elsewhere as I told them I wasn't going anywhere near that original placement area again and doing an extra 4 weeks placsment was probably the best thing that happened to me.
Reply 2
Original post by Chsmily

May I asked why you failed?? I’m going into health care and worried about these type of things
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
If you have to resit the whole module, not just the assignment, then presumably yes you would have to repeat the placement too. Unfortunately in the big world of being an RN you have to deal with whatevergets thrown at you, ready or not. Just because you have the hours for the year (and presumably passed everything placement wise) probably won't matter if you have to redo the whole thing - they may just give you a shorter placement, but think of this as a good thing as you get more time in practice to learn stuff. I had to repeat a placement, (fortunately) got sent elsewhere as I told them I wasn't going anywhere near that original placement area again and doing an extra 4 weeks placsment was probably the best thing that happened to me.

Hi, may I asked why you failed and why people do? I’m going into healthcare too, I’m a first year. Thanks for the reassurance and great advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Ionlikeu
Hi, may I asked why you failed and why people do? I’m going into healthcare too, I’m a first year. Thanks for the reassurance and great advice.

I was "too emotional" and that impacted my ability to treat patients, apparently. This was apparently an issue through the whole placement but had never been brought up until after my final shift, so how was I supposed to know and therefore do something about it? Yes, my penultimate shift we'd had a really bad trauma come in who didn't make it and I cried down the phone to my Dad all the way home (I'd held things together til I got out), and apparently I didn't escalate things (which I did, just never got listened to).
All of my documents from before and after that suggest no issues with my practice.
I later found out on the grapevine that the place I went to to re-take the placement were confused as to why I had to re-take as they deal with a lot of failing students.
Not that this now matters as I'm now a registered nurse. Students tend to fail because they get told of issues in their practice and how to improve then do nothing about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Ionlikeu
May I asked why you failed?? I’m going into health care and worried about these type of things

I failed by 5% on an assignment, just due to grammar etc, I’m not the best academically tbh haha, but I’m waiting on resit results, but it’s the only thing I’ve ever failed in the whole of my course so far. I just hope I pass the resub
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
I was "too emotional" and that impacted my ability to treat patients, apparently. This was apparently an issue through the whole placement but had never been brought up until after my final shift, so how was I supposed to know and therefore do something about it? Yes, my penultimate shift we'd had a really bad trauma come in who didn't make it and I cried down the phone to my Dad all the way home (I'd held things together til I got out), and apparently I didn't escalate things (which I did, just never got listened to).
All of my documents from before and after that suggest no issues with my practice.
I later found out on the grapevine that the place I went to to re-take the placement were confused as to why I had to re-take as they deal with a lot of failing students.
Not that this now matters as I'm now a registered nurse. Students tend to fail because they get told of issues in their practice and how to improve then do nothing about it.

One of my placements was the same, I passed with flying colours on all my other ones but my assessor just didn’t take a liking to me on that one placement, it was awful, so hopefully, If I do have to resit 2nd year, I don’t get sent back there haha
Reply 7
Original post by Emily_B

Honestly upmost respect to nurses!!!! That sounded really hard and draining! Thank you for sharing and good luck with your career!
Reply 8
i would not expect a second year student to not be emotional over a traumatic death. your mentor should have supported you better. saying that my wife had a first year first placement on her first proper day with her when she had to attend a dying patient. the student was upset but coped. your going to see death and distress and your going to have to learn to have a barrier between professional life and personnel. if you cant develop that your going to really suffer. but dont worry you will learn it
Reply 9
Original post by paub
i would not expect a second year student to not be emotional over a traumatic death. your mentor should have supported you better. saying that my wife had a first year first placement on her first proper day with her when she had to attend a dying patient. the student was upset but coped. your going to see death and distress and your going to have to learn to have a barrier between professional life and personnel. if you cant develop that your going to really suffer. but dont worry you will learn it

I have learned to deal with it - this issue was years ago as a student and have been qualified long since.
Original post by Emily_B
I have learned to deal with it - this issue was years ago as a student and have been qualified long since.

Yeah I agree with you Emily on this as we must deal with it as nurses as its part of our job somewhere in our careers as you soon learn to deal with it.
How do we cope with bereavement with immediate family when you think of it so it's not any different from dealing with somebody in hospital I think.

I was at least taught how to deal with bereavement as part of my course which actually helped when dealing with unexpected deaths in new born babies as we have to comfort the grieving parent's as well as do our job as normal to.
Reply 11
Original post by Tracey_W
Yeah I agree with you Emily on this as we must deal with it as nurses as its part of our job somewhere in our careers as you soon learn to deal with it.
How do we cope with bereavement with immediate family when you think of it so it's not any different from dealing with somebody in hospital I think.

I was at least taught how to deal with bereavement as part of my course which actually helped when dealing with unexpected deaths in new born babies as we have to comfort the grieving parent's as well as do our job as normal to.

i commend you on being able to do that. its much harder than telling a family that their aged relative has passed. our first child died at 8 hours the nurses were wonderful. the doctors were im sad to say rubbish.
Original post by paub
i commend you on being able to do that. its much harder than telling a family that their aged relative has passed. our first child died at 8 hours the nurses were wonderful. the doctors were im sad to say rubbish.

Thanks for your words on " commend you" as appreciated.

Yes its harder to explain to families relatives about a close member passing away which I think all nurses should be taught bereavement as part of training which I don't think happen as it's done more in midwifing as far as I'm aware of.

Sorry about what happened to your first child.
You are probably right about the doctors as it is left to the midwifing staff to deal with everything including comforting likes of yourself throughout the process.
I don't see a doctor unless its a emergency csection needed as only time I see them on ward.
Original post by Chsmily

Heyyyy, was just wondering if you’ve heard anything back ?
I am in a similar situation, I’m doing children’s nursing and failed my resit as a second year student & was withdrawn from my course:frown:
Even thought all my other modules were fine & my placement hours/skills have all been amazing.
Apparently they don’t allow second year to re-sit years at my university otherwise I would’ve been happy doing that. All this stress gone to waste :frown:
Hi,

Can I ask how you dealt with or how you deal with it now as a registered nurse. I have interview coming up with NTU and I’m unsure about how to answer for scenarios. It would help a lot 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending