The Student Room Group

UCAT mock updates

Created this thread so I actually feel motivated to continue doing UCAT mocks everyday until my exam on Tuesday 28th
Will update with my real exam result afterwards :smile: (using medentry)

19th September: mock result - 3040
VR - 690
DM - 770
QR - 850
AR - 730
SJ - band 3 (no idea how this happened when I've been getting band 1 for the last 3 weeks yikes)

20th September: mock result - 3100
VR - 750
DM - 710
QR - 850
AR - 790
SJ - band 1

*insert 4 day break bc I'm a lazy idiot lol*

25th September: some subtest mocks to get me back into -mock mOdE-

26th September: official mock a and b (approx scores from conversion tables)
VR - 750
DM - 770
QR - 650 (this QR set was horrific I didn't have time for like 13 questions yikes)
AR - 740
SJ - band 2
Overall = 2910

VR - 830
DM - 790
QR - 700 (rip my medentry scores :frown:)
AR - 730
SJ - band 1
Overall = 3050

27th September: official mock c and d (approx scores from conversion tables)
VR - 770
DM - 730
QR - 710
AR - 730
SJ - band 3 (MY UCAT IS TOMORROW HOW DID I GET A BAND 3 TF IS GOING ON??!, uhm anyways completely understand why you're not advised to do a mock the day before but can't change this now lol)
Overall = 2940

VR - skipped (couldn't force myself through one more question set about football matches please)
DM - skimmed through
QR - couldn't be bothered
AR - skimmed
SJ - band 1

Actual exam results:
VR - 740 (felt horrific)
DM - 680 (some mathsy questions I was unfamiliar with came up and really put me off :/)
QR - 720 (not me guessing 7 sets bc I ran out of time)
AR - 710 (felt a lot better than it actually was, assuming tons of second rules I couldn't be asked to look for, somehow finished with almost 4 minutes to spare?)
SJ - band 1
Overall: 2850 B1
Lil disappointed when comparing to the mocks but honestly just happy I don't have to think about it again, IM DONE WOOOOO
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by randomstudent498
Created this thread so I actually feel motivated to continue doing UCAT mocks everyday until my exam on Tuesday 28th
Will update with my real exam result afterwards :smile: (using medentry)

19th September: mock result - 3040
VR - 690
DM - 770
QR - 850
AR - 730
SJ - band 3 (no idea how this happened when I've been getting band 1 for the last 3 weeks yikes)

20th September: mock result - 3100
VR - 750
DM - 710
QR - 850
AR - 790
SJ - band 1

*insert 4 day break bc I'm a lazy idiot*

25th September:
VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

26th September:
VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

27th September:
VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

VR -
DM -
QR -
AR -
SJ -

Lol do a mock everyday, I did and did so well on my ucat today so pleased. Keep doing that and youll be amazing
Good luck, your mock scores are great!
Original post by Kffh
Lol do a mock everyday, I did and did so well on my ucat today so pleased. Keep doing that and youll be amazing

trying my best out here I think ill end up doing a total of 6 which is a lil disturbing considering I planned to do 30 lol but thanks dude and congrats on your score!
Original post by hungrysalamander
Good luck, your mock scores are great!

thank you <3
Reply 5
I'm getting similar scores to you on QR and DM, but do you have any advice on how you improved VR and AR. I think timing is my biggest issue.
Original post by YRK01
I'm getting similar scores to you on QR and DM, but do you have any advice on how you improved VR and AR. I think timing is my biggest issue.

For VR make sure you read the questions before the passage- there is NOT enough time to be reading the passage first unless you can retain it (I cannot). If the timing gets really bad, just guess based on the question stem (so for example if there's a question that asks for a false statement, look for something like 'always' which usually= false). I'm sure you already know this but working by process of elimination really helps and if there's a super long passage flag, guesstimate and move on. Aim to be getting 10 questions wrong to get the score im getting, and just make sure you haven't flagged more than 10 - I only flag the questions I think I got wrong or didn't have enough time and just get on with the questions I know I can get right. Practice speed-reading if that's the issue too. Also this might not exactly help but watching a video of someone completing a UCAT mock in the subtests you're struggling with somehow helped me? I think understanding the thought process of someone who does well in the areas you're struggling with can give you some useful tips.

For AR its just practice, doing so many questions and subtest mocks that the patterns immediately jump out at you - do as many subtest mocks of AR between now and the exam, and be aware of common patterns. I also struggle with timing on AR which leads me to guessing at least one set of questions (usually the which set does this belong to). Again, aim to be getting around 10 wrong to get a similar score, using the flagging method I mentioned in VR- just try your best on the subsets you can do and guesstimate the rest is my general method.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
For VR make sure you read the questions before the passage- there is NOT enough time to be reading the passage first unless you can retain it (I cannot). If the timing gets really bad, just guess based on the question stem (so for example if there's a question that asks for a false statement, look for something like 'always' which usually= false). I'm sure you already know this but working by process of elimination really helps and if there's a super long passage flag, guesstimate and move on. Aim to be getting 10 questions wrong to get the score im getting, and just make sure you haven't flagged more than 10 - I only flag the questions I think I got wrong or didn't have enough time and just get on with the questions I know I can get right. Practice speed-reading if that's the issue too. Also this might not exactly help but watching a video of someone completing a UCAT mock in the subtests you're struggling with somehow helped me? I think understanding the thought process of someone who does well in the areas you're struggling with can give you some useful tips.

For AR its just practice, doing so many questions and subtest mocks that the patterns immediately jump out at you - do as many subtest mocks of AR between now and the exam, and be aware of common patterns. I also struggle with timing on AR which leads me to guessing at least one set of questions (usually the which set does this belong to). Again, aim to be getting around 10 wrong to get a similar score, using the flagging method I mentioned in VR- just try your best on the subsets you can do and guesstimate the rest is my general method.

Original post by YRK01

Definitely practice skim reading and look out for key words which appear in the question. For AR actively practice, a lot of people use SCANS and find it really helpful. I personally didn't but it depends on the individual
Reply 8

Original post by Kffh
Definitely practice skim reading and look out for key words which appear in the question. For AR actively practice, a lot of people use SCANS and find it really helpful. I personally didn't but it depends on the individual

Thank you both for the advice, I really appreciate it! Probably time for me to get off tsr and back on medify now :vroam:

Quick Reply