josesh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I am currently filling in my UCAS choices for History and still have two spaces left. I am intending to apply to Durham, UCL, Glasgow (backup) and was wondering if somebody may be able to tell me which other universities are seen as prestigious for History in general.

I am applying with A*A*A (achieved grades)

Thanks 😊
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/history/
Manchester : https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/history/

Check the course content for each degree, the optional units and the research interests of the dept. History is such a wide subject and you need to make sure that what is on offer at each Uni actually interests you - regardless of 'prestige' (which is a daft concept anyway because you can't measure it), its still possible to hate the course and be thoroughly miserable because you picked the wrong place to do your degree.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by josesh)
Hi,

I am currently filling in my UCAS choices for History and still have two spaces left. I am intending to apply to Durham, UCL, Glasgow (backup) and was wondering if somebody may be able to tell me which other universities are seen as prestigious for History in general.

Thanks 😊
York? I initially applied to study history and politics (there's a long story I won't bore you with), but I'm currently in my third year of Social and Political Sciences. I've visited the history department and attended the talks back when I visited on an open day before joining the uni and I know the department offers a broad range of modules covering different periods if you're doing BA History which is good if you don't quite know what area of history you're interested in and even if you do, you might discover that you're interested in history from a different period.
josesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/history/
Manchester : https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/history/

Check the course content for each degree, the optional units and the research interests of the dept. History is such a wide subject and you need to make sure that what is on offer at each Uni actually interests you - regardless of 'prestige' (which is a daft concept anyway because you can't measure it), its still possible to hate the course and be thoroughly miserable because you picked the wrong place to do your degree.
Hey,

Thanks for your help! I will definitely look into bristol - not a huge fan of Manchester’s course. Yeah I agree with you about the prestige thing - just being an international student meant I wasn’t sure which unis were considered good for History. I just wanted to get a few names so then I could research each course and see which one I liked. Thank you tho for these links they were really helpful
josesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by JT_888)
York? I initially applied to study history and politics (there's a long story I won't bore you with), but I'm currently in my third year of Social and Political Sciences. I've visited the history department and attended the talks back when I visited on an open day before joining the uni and I know the department offers a broad range of modules covering different periods if you're doing BA History which is good if you don't quite know what area of history you're interested in and even if you do, you might discover that you're interested in history from a different period.
I actually really like York’s course and have heard great things about their PPE programme so I guess their politics is great! Thanks so much for mentioning York - will definitely look into it
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I actually really like York’s course and have heard great things about their PPE programme so I guess their politics is great! Thanks so much for mentioning York - will definitely look into it
Exeter has a good reputation for Humanities. Quite a small city but a bit bigger than Durham. Be aware that UC and Durham are hugely different. UCL is part of the UKs biggest city by far. London is very impersonal but has things like theatres if that interests you. Durham is very small. They are opposites.
josesh
Rep:
?
Oh

(Original post by swanseajack1)
Exeter has a good reputation for Humanities. Quite a small city but a bit bigger than Durham. Be aware that UC and Durham are hugely different. UCL is part of the UKs biggest city by far. London is very impersonal but has things like theatres if that interests you. Durham is very small. They are opposites.
Thank you!!! Yeah I know Durham is pretty small some of my family went there and loved it but I’m planning on visiting them all in January to see whether it’s too small for me. Thanks for mentioning exeter! Do you know if King’s is still considered good for History?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for your help! I will definitely look into Bristol
As an international applicant its worth you looking at Campus Tour films for each Uni on YouTube so that you can see what each Uni looks like.
And you might be able to find some History subject talks as well.

PS. Lancaster is also worth looking at - smaller Uni in a historic town, Uni with very good reputation,
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
Hi,

Thanks 😊
Hi joseshIt is great that you are considering studying History at University. I have been a History student at the University of Hull since 2015, completing my undergraduate, Masters and now studying my PhD at the university.

I have really enjoyed my time studying at the university.

The University of Hull is one of the oldest universities in the UK, with teaching based on a beautiful campus.

The department is in the Top 20 in England for Student Satisfaction (2021).

It benefits for additional sources such as the Hull History Centre which holds archival material from 1086. Additionally, there is the Hull History Network and much much more.

Details about our course can be found here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...istory-ba-hons

You can also chat with a current student here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

Emily
University of Hull Student Representatives
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 minutes ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi joseshIt
An unfortunate concatenation! 😆
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (157)
54.9%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.09%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.55%

Watched Threads