The Student Room Group

How long would it take you to get kicked out of uni?

Hey this isn’t for me but for a friend I know. We both go to the same uni, first year and when asking them if they’re going to knuckle down and get some work done they pretty much said they were just gonna go clubbing every night and laughed at the idea of lectures, never mind 9am starts. They’re a big party animal and honestly they probably were honest when they said about not turning up to lectures and about work.
I wanted to know pretty much when unis would put their foot down and either put you on probation or just full on kick you out. I wanted to know pretty much so I could just shove a bit of sense into them.
Reply 1
Well you're most likely not going to force them to attend lectures, but if they don't give a **** about the course then I wonder why they enrolled in the first place.
If the department noticed someone was absent from a lot of things, they would start getting into contact with them and asking why. Though I doubt they would just expel them for not showing up; a more likely scenario is that they fail first year and drop out instead of choosing to retake.

Though they'll probably go clubbing less often once all the freshers' hype dies down.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hey this isn’t for me but for a friend I know. We both go to the same uni, first year and when asking them if they’re going to knuckle down and get some work done they pretty much said they were just gonna go clubbing every night and laughed at the idea of lectures, never mind 9am starts. They’re a big party animal and honestly they probably were honest when they said about not turning up to lectures and about work.
I wanted to know pretty much when unis would put their foot down and either put you on probation or just full on kick you out. I wanted to know pretty much so I could just shove a bit of sense into them.

The process will vary by university, but at mine: if you don't attend 4 contact sessions (lectures, seminars etc.) in a row, you will be contacted and asked to explain why you haven't been attending. If you can't give a satisfactory reason, you will be placed on probation and your attendance monitored more closely with the expectation that an improvement can be seen. If not, then after 3 months of regular non-attendance (without extenuating circumstances), you will automatically be withdrawn from the student register. That's obviously not including assessments - usually non-submission of an assessment (again, without ECs) is treated more seriously than a submitted poor attempt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending