when should i start revising for my real gcses ?? - from a yr11

Watch
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
right now, i am going over this year (yr 11s) school work. however, i am abit stressed as idk when to really start revising. when i mean 'go over' i mean make sure i understand the concept. i am trying to achieve 8s and 9s. at the moment, i do about 2-3 hours of my own school work every weekday. and i would say maybe a bit more on the weekend.

any advice? thank you
kitkatve
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I got 11 x 9s at GCSE and I started revising material in the year of my actual exams. For the first term of year 11 you are still learning new content (which is often more difficult). So, I would focus on this for now. If you can start allocating 2-3hrs of revision time every weekend (starting next calendar year) then you should be alright. Make sure to focus on topics that you aren't as confident in first, possibly rank sub-topics from high to low level of understanding to make this easier.

Hope this helps!
harlz_chalamet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kitkatve)
Hi,

I got 11 x 9s at GCSE and I started revising material in the year of my actual exams. For the first term of year 11 you are still learning new content (which is often more difficult). So, I would focus on this for now. If you can start allocating 2-3hrs of revision time every weekend (starting next calendar year) then you should be alright. Make sure to focus on topics that you aren't as confident in first, possibly rank sub-topics from high to low level of understanding to make this easier.

Hope this helps!
woah! those are really good grades, congrats on that
so would you say that after christmas, i should start doing test papers, memorising key things etc? to be honest, i think that would probably be good because it's like 4ish months of good revision - and memorising things isn't that hard for me personally.
thank you ever so much
kitkatve
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
woah! those are really good grades, congrats on that
so would you say that after christmas, i should start doing test papers, memorising key things etc? to be honest, i think that would probably be good because it's like 4ish months of good revision - and memorising things isn't that hard for me personally.
thank you ever so much
Thank you. Yes that sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't do practice papers during christmas unless you really want to. I did practice papers during the easter holiday once I had learnt all the content before-hand. You could do them for maths, since revision for that is almost entirely practice based. Memorising is a good revision method if you give yourself the time to do so (I think 4 months is plenty). Good luck!
vee_mullaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i'm also in yr11 right now, and also quite stuck as where to start! Maybe doing 2-3 hours of just school work is a bit too much- though depending on what you picked, i do history and psychology and it does take quite a while also so i'm with you on that! For this year i think it's just starting really early with revision as we have mocks coming up in november/december as you'll probably know, but yes doing a bit more on the weekends is very helpful, even if its like 4 hours a day spaced out every 2-3 hours, content will be covered and more understanding too! Best of luck!
snazzyg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by vee_mullaaa)
i'm also in yr11 right now, and also quite stuck as where to start! Maybe doing 2-3 hours of just school work is a bit too much- though depending on what you picked, i do history and psychology and it does take quite a while also so i'm with you on that! For this year i think it's just starting really early with revision as we have mocks coming up in november/december as you'll probably know, but yes doing a bit more on the weekends is very helpful, even if its like 4 hours a day spaced out every 2-3 hours, content will be covered and more understanding too! Best of luck!
same. i have started revision but it's very light, just reviewing the stuff i learnt that day and last lesson (no more than half an hour)
thezaheer11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m also in year 11 and I find physicsandmathstutor very useful for papers as they have plenty of practice papers for specific topics, which is useful especially when you are learning new content. From what I have heard most people start doing papers from Christmas or the start of Easter.
snazzyg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thezaheer11)
I’m also in year 11 and I find physicsandmathstutor very useful for papers as they have plenty of practice papers for specific topics, which is useful especially when you are learning new content. From what I have heard most people start doing papers from Christmas or the start of Easter.
my mocks are in jan so i'll start properly revising in november/december
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got 9x9s and an 8 in English lit. My grades were pretty much my mock grades which were in January. I started revising like late December I think and then started mocks like 6th January if I'm not mistaken. So a couple week of revision is all you really need to cram everything in your brain and spit it out on the paper for GCSE
harlz_chalamet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Cs115)
I got 9x9s and an 8 in English lit. My grades were pretty much my mock grades which were in January. I started revising like late December I think and then started mocks like 6th January if I'm not mistaken. So a couple week of revision is all you really need to cram everything in your brain and spit it out on the paper for GCSE
you did SOOOO good wow!!
can i ask which revision techniques you used??
and how many hours a day you did work? thank you! from a yr11
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
you did SOOOO good wow!!
can i ask which revision techniques you used??
and how many hours a day you did work? thank you! from a yr11
Thanks
For science I remember watching the freesciencelesson videos and then after the video I would write down everything I could remember. after I finished doing that i just did a few past papers (maybe 3) for each subject and anywhere i dropped i would go back and fix from the videos to make sure i understood where i went wrong.
english i did not revise. just went off what we learnt in class in terms of essay structure. although for lit i did learn a few quotes because my teacher hinted to us the theme of the romeo and juliet essay that was gonna be on the mock. I don't really remember much else for english tbh - maybe watch Mr bruff for language as that's what we did in class to learn how to do each question.
For maths i didn't revise because I thought it wasn't too hard. but the night before i went on youtube and typed in hardest gcse maths questions and made sure i could do all the questions in the video.
for other subjects i just read the textbook and then did a few past papers to make sure i knew everything.
I didnt work everyday but i would revise before tests using similar methods to above but instead of doing the whole subject id just do it for the chapter we were going to be assessed on. id usually spend about a couple hours revising for a test and had a test approximately once a month per subject.
i don't know whether my revision strategies were very effective but i guess i enjoy cramming so they worked for me and i hope they work for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads