The Student Room Group

UCAT - where to apply with SJT Band 3

Hi all,I'm finding it difficult to create a shortlist for medicine. My current options are Glasgow, Birmingham, KCL, UCL, Southampton, Cardiff, Imperial.

My UCAT score is 2830, with an average score of 707.5. However, I got a Band 3 in the SJT.
I have 11 x 9s at GCSE and 4 x A*s predicted A-levels. I have not done my BMAT yet.

I'm leaning towards 1 x BMAT and 3 x UCAT universities, but if anyone thinks otherwise I would value your suggestions. Many thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kitkatve
Hi all,I'm finding it difficult to create a shortlist for medicine. My current options are Glasgow, Birmingham, KCL, UCL, Southampton, Cardiff, Imperial.

My UCAT score is 2830, with an average score of 707.5. However, I got a Band 3 in the SJT.
I have 11 x 9s at GCSE and 4 x A*s predicted A-levels. I have not done my BMAT yet.

I'm leaning towards 1 x BMAT and 3 x UCAT universities, but if anyone thinks otherwise I would value your suggestions. Many thanks

Glasgow cut off was 2830 for RUK last year, so could be risky
Birmingham are using SJT for 25% of intrview scoring, so you would lose 17% of available marks before you started.
Cardiff will use PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker, so make sure you tailor your PS to their requirments
Kings and Southampton should be OK
Reply 2
Original post by GANFYD
Glasgow cut off was 2830 for RUK last year, so could be risky
Birmingham are using SJT for 25% of intrview scoring, so you would lose 17% of available marks before you started.
Cardiff will use PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker, so make sure you tailor your PS to their requirments
Kings and Southampton should be OK

Thank you, that's been really helpful. I looked up Glasgow and they don't seem to have a cut-off score. The average interviewed UCAT score was 2600 in previous years. So, if there was a cut-off it must have been lower than 2830?
Reply 3
Thank you, that's been really helpful. I looked up Glasgow and they don't seem to have a cut-off score. The average interviewed UCAT score was 2600 in previous years. So, if there was a cut-off it must have been lower than 2830?

Everybody below 2830 (RUK) was rejected last year (2021 entry), as confirmed by Glasgow admissions :smile:
It is different for Scottish applicants
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
Everybody below 2830 (RUK) was rejected last year (2021 entry), as confirmed by Glasgow admissions :smile:
It is different for Scottish applicants

Ok that makes sense, thank you! But would you therefore recommend I put down 2 x UCAT instead of 3? Is there any way to find out what the cut-off will be this year?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok that makes sense, thank you! But would you therefore recommend I put down 2 x UCAT instead of 3? Is there any way to find out what the cut-off will be this year?

No way of knowing this year's cut offs in advance, unfortunately, as depends on the scores of those who apply.
You have an excellent UCAT score and lots of choices, just 3 out of the 5 you chose probably do not best suit your stats :smile:
Reply 6
If the algorithm for Birmingham says I am likely to get an interview is it still worth trying? I mean an interview is the first step. I have removed glasgow after seeing some stats on no. of scottish vs RUK applicants. Although, Glasgow have said they are not doing a cut-off UCAT score this year. Also, doesn't KCL take the SJT into account? And if so would this put me at a significant disadvantage?

I have gone for: UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Southampton.

Is this too aspirational?
Reply 7
If the algorithm for Birmingham says I am likely to get an interview is it still worth trying? I mean an interview is the first step. I have removed glasgow after seeing some stats on no. of scottish vs RUK applicants. Although, Glasgow have said they are not doing a cut-off UCAT score this year. Also, doesn't KCL take the SJT into account? And if so would this put me at a significant disadvantage?

I have gone for: UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Southampton.

Is this too aspirational?

Birmingham's calculator historically is very inaccurate, suggesting lots of people below previous cut offs would get offers.
Your score looks fine, but you would be able to score a maximum of 83% in your interview, so say you get three quarters of that, you have 62.25%. Somebody with a B1 only has to get 50% of the marks available to them to beat your score, as they have 25% in the bag. so depends how much better you think you can perform at interview, compared to those who have already shown they score well in judgement tests as applied to Drs?

Glasgow will be using a UCAT cut off. They will rank applicants, decide how many they want to interview and count down from the top. The UCAT score of the Xth person (where X is the number they want to invite) will be the cut off. They have done that for at least the last 10 years and their website says exactly the same thing it has every other year.

SJT counts for about 5% of KCL scoring, so is less weighted than, eg 25% of interview score

I would not apply for Birmingham with a B3, as that already suggests your thought processes may not align that well with the GMC guidance, and thus expecting you to score far more at interivew, which tests if your thought processes align with those same GMC set standards, than those who have already scored far higher in this type of test, seems an unnecessary risk to me.
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
Birmingham's calculator historically is very inaccurate, suggesting lots of people below previous cut offs would get offers.
Your score looks fine, but you would be able to score a maximum of 83% in your interview, so say you get three quarters of that, you have 62.25%. Somebody with a B1 only has to get 50% of the marks available to them to beat your score, as they have 25% in the bag. so depends how much better you think you can perform at interview, compared to those who have already shown they score well in judgement tests as applied to Drs?

Glasgow will be using a UCAT cut off. They will rank applicants, decide how many they want to interview and count down from the top. The UCAT score of the Xth person (where X is the number they want to invite) will be the cut off. They have done that for at least the last 10 years and their website says exactly the same thing it has every other year.

SJT counts for about 5% of KCL scoring, so is less weighted than, eg 25% of interview score

I would not apply for Birmingham with a B3, as that already suggests your thought processes may not align that well with the GMC guidance, and thus expecting you to score far more at interivew, which tests if your thought processes align with those same GMC set standards, than those who have already scored far higher in this type of test, seems an unnecessary risk to me.

Do King's use 5% of SJT to score pre- or post-interview? Or is that a combined proportion?
Reply 9
Do King's use 5% of SJT to score pre- or post-interview? Or is that a combined proportion?

Just pre-interview. It is all on the interview for an offer
Hello. I did my UCAT and I got the score of 2570 and band 3 in SJT. Which medical schools am I able to apply with based on my ucat score. The medical schools which I have a high chance of getting an interview and not get rejected.
Original post by GANFYD
Just pre-interview. It is all on the interview for an offer

Hi, I received 3000 band 3 on my UCAT, and am not sure whether to apply for kings, as im not sure how they use SJT, do you have a link for where they state the 5% weighting on the SJT?
Just checking whether its still valid for 2023 entry, thanks.
Original post by Ali.m2004
Hello. I did my UCAT and I got the score of 2570 and band 3 in SJT. Which medical schools am I able to apply with based on my ucat score. The medical schools which I have a high chance of getting an interview and not get rejected.

Original post by randomguy133
Hi, I received 3000 band 3 on my UCAT, and am not sure whether to apply for kings, as im not sure how they use SJT, do you have a link for where they state the 5% weighting on the SJT?
Just checking whether its still valid for 2023 entry, thanks.

This thread is nearly a year old! Please don't bump old threads, especially where there is a perfectly good, dedicated megathread for you to post in (after reading the first post) here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending